Speculation: Konecny and Dermott

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Konecny progressing well since being drafted as has Dermott. Revisting their draft year, was it a shrewd move to pass on TK for Dermott? Dermott is a much more required commodity being a defenseman but can't stay healthy for the life of it. Maybe he isn't equipped to play the physical game with his smaller body structure. He has had 4-5 significant injuries already in his young career.
Do we still pick Dermott , (Bracco) on a revisited draft?

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I think because they landed Marner, they were hesitant to pick TK, with possibly needing young defense.

If Leafs traded back and took a Provorov/Werenski/Rantanen....maybe they'd take TK.

I'm very happy with Marner & Dermott. Wouldn't want it any other way.

Reactions: Keon1963

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
In hindsight, I'm still very happy with this trade even if Bracco never pans out.

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Nobody is concerned with his durability?
A knee injury on a Dotchin dirty hit, and another dirty hit last season that injured his shoulder.

Not a recurring theme.

Konecny has concussion issues dating back to junior.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The team is well locked in with forwards going into next season. Perhaps even to the point of having one too many. Defence looks to be less certain. Dermott isn't one of the question marks.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I'm about at the "who the hell cares" point

If you really want to start cooking with peanut oil tho start a Dermott vs Aho thread

Aho could end up being the best Finnish player out of the 3 drafted...:eek:

Reactions: kb

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
That 2015 draft was probably one of the best in 10, 15 years, there was quality all over the place but the most obvious, like usual, was in the 1st round. With all that quality TO trades down, White, Samsonov and Boeser were the 3 players picked before Konecny.

Dermott might yet become that d-man TO needs but until now he wasn't able to unseat Hainsey, Zaitsev or Gardiner. Yes he's young but so far he's been a 3rd pairing d-man and indications are that he might remain so except in Cap duress situations. Many appear to love him but it is easier to be loved facing 3rd and 4th liners.

I find it disturbing that TO didn't recognize the quality of that draft and only looked to trade down. TO almost traded out of the 4th selection possibly losing the chance to draft Marner. If anything TO should have been looking to trade up not down. All the fancy trading ended up with TO drafting Dermott, Bracco and others that till now are still essentially maybes.

Reactions: baton elevated

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
That 2015 draft was probably one of the best in 10, 15 years, there was quality all over the place but the most obvious, like usual, was in the 1st round. With all that quality TO trades down, White, Samsonov and Boeser were the 3 players picked before Konecny.

Dermott might yet become that d-man TO needs but until now he wasn't able to unseat Hainsey, Zaitsev or Gardiner. Yes he's young but so far he's been a 3rd pairing d-man and indications are that he might remain so except in Cap duress situations. Many appear to love him but it is easier to be loved facing 3rd and 4th liners.

I find it disturbing that TO didn't recognize the quality of that draft and only looked to trade down. TO almost traded out of the 4th selection possibly losing the chance to draft Marner. If anything TO should have been looking to trade up not down. All the fancy trading ended up with TO drafting Dermott, Bracco and others that till now are still essentially maybes.

How would trading down from 4th be a bad move?

8 + 34 +38 was the deal on the table, that gives us Werenski/Rantanen/Provorov, Konecny at 24, and probably both Aho and Dermottwith the 2 early 2nds.

In a deep (2003 or 2015 level) draft, you always trade down. Going from 15 to 18 and picking up a 2nd that gets you a 1st round level talent because of the draft depth is a no-brainer.

Clammer

Dec 4, 2008
How would trading down from 4th be a bad move?

8 + 34 +38 was the deal on the table, that gives us Werenski/Rantanen/Provorov, Konecny at 24, and probably both Aho and Dermottwith the 2 early 2nds.

In a deep (2003 or 2015 level) draft, you always trade down. Going from 15 to 18 and picking up a 2nd that gets you a 1st round level talent because of the draft depth is a no-brainer.

I mean hindsight is 20/20. If you remember that draft. There was a clear second tier after McDavid and Eichel of marner strome and Hanifin. There was a perceived drop off at 6, I mean we could have easily taken Crouse which would have been a disaster. And trading down for a couple seconds really isn’t that much considering the picks in the second, there was aho, Dermott Carlo and maybe Dunn that turned out. I sure as hell wouldn’t have passed on a surefire top 5 pick. Marner, Dermott, Bracco is a pretty sick haul for first 3 picks in a draft.

Reactions: Loosie

Clammer

Dec 4, 2008
If you want regret, look at Boston and their 3 picks in a row before Barzal, Connor and Chabot. Thank god for that blunder, imagine that team facing us first round forever. We can at least look forward to their core aging

Reactions: Devonator

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Nobody is concerned with his durability?
What about Konecnys potential health issues? Hes a small player who has an injury history and plays a game that's also rough on the body like Dermott. The difference being Dermott is average size and is rock solid on his feet. I wanted Konecny but hes still listed at 175 lbs and likely doesnt get much bigger. Theres risk moving down in the draft but theres also risk taking Konecny and hoping he doesnt get manhandled at the pro level.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Dermott is awesome and had two injuries as results of dirty plays. He isn't "injury prone." I feel like people have short term memory and if a guy gets hurt once, he'll get hurt every time he touches the ice now.

We also ended up with Bracco and Dzierkals because of trading back.

Bracco at the very least should be a piece we can move for another good asset if he puts up another big year in the AHL, maybe to a team with a similar level defense prospect that's looking for a RW.

Dzierkals is a mystery and I don't even know if we still own his rights, but he's playing in Liiga and if he ever comes over it's a bonus.

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
If you want regret, look at Boston and their 3 picks in a row before Barzal, Connor and Chabot. Thank god for that blunder, imagine that team facing us first round forever. We can at least look forward to their core aging

Wow... I never thought about it, but Boston could've had Barzal, Connor and Chabot!

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I think because they landed Marner, they were hesitant to pick TK, with possibly needing young defense.

If Leafs traded back and took a Provorov/Werenski/Rantanen....maybe they'd take TK.

I'm very happy with Marner & Dermott. Wouldn't want it any other way.

I would take Aho over Dermott all day long. Why wouldn't anyone? a much better player.

Grabovski

Aug 12, 2009
Hamilton, Ontario
I don't know when you guys are concerned about Koncecny when Sebatian Aho was literally taken the pick right after we picked Dermott. I would much rather have Aho than Dermott, but at this point we need defenceman so I'm not dissapointed in this pick as long as Dermott becomes a solid top 4 dman.

I'm also imagining our top 9 right now would be:
Aho - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - JT - Marner
AJ - Kerfoot - Kap

:)

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Trading down and taking Dermott was a double. Would have been a HR if they had taken Aho instead. Can you imagine this past summer having Marner and Aho contracts to deal with? Somebody would of had to go to make the cap work.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
What injuries has he had? The injury he has now is the one he was out for last season, it's the same injury. What other injuries has he had?
A friend of mine is good friends with the Dermott family. I was talking to him about a month or so ago about Travis' injury and he told me he's had shoulder problems since he was a kid. He's probably dislocated it a few times and once you've done that, its gonna keep popping out.

Even now I still take Dermott over TK. We need D men more and Dermott offers a physical brand that we need on the back end. We have a similar player to TK in Johnsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad