Kona (PC/XB1/PS4) - Canadian survival adventure

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
A lot here liked Firewatch, so that I thought that this might interest many of you, especially the Canadians here. I stumbled upon this just-released game the other day.

It's a first-person adventure game set in Northern Canada (Northern Quebec, to be specific) in 1970. You play as a detective who is called to a rural, forested community and must unravel a mystery that's enveloped the area.

On the surface, it plays a lot like Firewatch. It's first person, you're alone and every location is abandoned, it's a mostly open world and you use a map to get around (a map that is implemented nearly identically to Firewatch) and you have some of the same items, such as a flashlight and a camera to take pictures with. There are some important differences, though. It's much more adventure game than walking simulator, for one. You have a standard game inventory that you must manage and use and a journal to keep track of progress, for example. There are also more satisfying puzzles. For example, at one point early on, you need to get something working, but you need to complete about 7 steps in order to turn on the power to finally do it. There are also some light survival mechanics. I actually died only 5 minutes into the game because I froze to death. You can't stay outside in the snow for too long. Finally, apparently, there are moments where you shoot a gun and there are some medkits scattered around to heal yourself with, so there might be some limited combat (ex. one screenshot shows pointing a pistol at wolves), though it's not a shooter by any means.

I've played only an hour and a half or so, but I think that it's safe to share it, since it has a "Very Positive" 90% rating on Steam. So far, it's been interesting. I like the setting, atmosphere, puzzles and survival mechanics so far. It seems like it avoids a lot of the complaints that Firewatch had by being only $20 (the price point that Firewatch should've been at), being longer (~20 hours, it seems, from some of the reviews) and being more challenging (thanks to better puzzles and the survival mechanics). Of course, it doesn't have Firewatch's sentimental story or relaxing gameplay, so you shouldn't expect that. Kona doesn't appear to be a "horror" game or very difficult as adventure games go, but it's more unsettling and challenging than Firewatch.

Anyways, don't go off of just me, since I'm not far into the game yet. Read the reviews to see if it's something that interests you:

Kona at Steam

Official Website

(BTW, "PC" here means Windows, Mac and Linux. I just didn't want to make the thread title longer by listing them all.)

NankJA2.jpg
ss_8b3e0536b382fb60e70cdbc18ff4bc27ae4fed05.600x338.jpg
Pt3choz.jpg

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
any reviews of this?

Metacritic:

Kona (PC)
Kona (XB1)
Kona (PS4)

There are some critic reviews and some user reviews at those links. There are also lots of user reviews at the Steam page that I linked in the OP. They're for the PC version, but most comment on the gameplay (story, atmosphere, difficulty, etc.) that shouldn't be much different between versions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad