Komisarek or Morrisonn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aarex

Feb 29, 2004
Regina, Saskatchewan
Jay Thompson said:
See, this is where I disagree. All facets? Sorry, but I saw him take a step backwards this past season. He showed little jump on his skates, tentative to join the rush (not a terrible thing, common for young defenseman, but it is worrisome in that he's supposed to have offensive upside, or so the Habs hope), a slow, mistake-prone decision-making process, and his overall puck skills leave a lot to be desired, except for the fact he has a nice shot when he gets it off.

I am reminded a lot of Vitali Vishnevsky when I look at Mike. Vitali was supposed to be so skilled when he came to the NHL, but over time it just looked more and more like he didn't have much more than he showed when he first arrived in North America.

That said, I could be wrong - I have been before. Before this season, I thoght Scott Hannan had topped out as a #3/4 defenseman, and boy do I look wrong now. While I like to think I do have a pretty good mark on watching youngsters, I'm hardly flawless. Komisarek might play really well next year (I'm guessing he'll play in the American league?), and come into the NHL like a house on fire. However, just saying from what I see, I don't really see that happening (in the NHL at least).

I've done my best to stay out of this thread, but it appears most of the "habs bashers" have stopped posting

My question is exactly how much of Komosarek this past season have you seen? More Specifically the end of the season?

I ask this because it seems we were watching a different player, we are all aware about his mistakes playing defense coughting up the puck ect. However when you say that you did not see any of the "offensive upside" is what i'm pondering on. While yes he did not score any goals nore did he rack up alot of assists he did show definite signs of offensive flare that you don't normally see in defensive defensemen more specifically YOUNG defensive defensemen. One instance that sticks in my mind is when he pinched into the top of the ring recieved a pass, pulled a deke that looked alot like the dekes pavel bure uses (left to right shoulder deke) dodged a player moved to the right side of the goal tender shot a nice shot but was robbed (can't remember who he played) instead of standing deep in the zone he RUSHED back to his point position. The kid definatly has hockey sense and offensive upside.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
I saw Mike play about 20 times last season, though I might be a couple games off the correct mark here. About 5 - 10 times in the regular season, and 10 - 14 times in the playoffs.

I did not see much offensive upside in all those games I saw of him (I can't recall that move you said, must have missed that one), though I did see him make the odd good play in the offensive zone. However, I should also mention I have seen Marek Malik deke through two players, and make an incredible pass to an open man on two seperate occasions in the last season and a half too. Any player has enough skill to pull off the odd great play in this league (anybody see Darren McCarty's goal last year where he fluked out going through like, four players then scoring?). It's doing it consistantly that is the mark of an offensive talent.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Jay Thompson said:
I saw Mike play about 20 times last season, though I might be a couple games off the correct mark here. About 5 - 10 times in the regular season, and 10 - 14 times in the playoffs.

Who was that Komisarek who played in those other 3 to 7 games in the playoffs considering he only played 7 ;) Speaking of, what Montreal team played in those other games considering Montreal only played 11. Maybe that is why his offensive game was missing, it was like he wasn't even on the ice.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Jay Thompson said:
See, this is where I disagree. All facets? Sorry, but I saw him take a step backwards this past season. He showed little jump on his skates, tentative to join the rush (not a terrible thing, common for young defenseman, but it is worrisome in that he's supposed to have offensive upside, or so the Habs hope), a slow, mistake-prone decision-making process, and his overall puck skills leave a lot to be desired, except for the fact he has a nice shot when he gets it off.

I am reminded a lot of Vitali Vishnevsky when I look at Mike. Vitali was supposed to be so skilled when he came to the NHL, but over time it just looked more and more like he didn't have much more than he showed when he first arrived in North America.

That said, I could be wrong - I have been before. Before this season, I thoght Scott Hannan had topped out as a #3/4 defenseman, and boy do I look wrong now. While I like to think I do have a pretty good mark on watching youngsters, I'm hardly flawless. Komisarek might play really well next year (I'm guessing he'll play in the American league?), and come into the NHL like a house on fire. However, just saying from what I see, I don't really see that happening (in the NHL at least).

I would say you are wrong here. I do think Komisarek struggled at times this year, especially turning over the puck and not being hard on the clearing the puck out of the zone. So I can't say what games you saw him in, but I strongly disagree with the statement that he took a step backwards.

You say you saw him in the playoffs? Komisarek was one of our top defensemen in the playoffs for sure in the 7 games he played, and if you look at his ice time, and you'll see the coaches must agree too, as I thought he played some of his better hockey. And he isn't supposed to have offenisve upside, he has it. If you saw him at Michigan or Hamilton, he showed good offensive skills. I would suggest waiting till he's a full time player (which he would have been this year with the trade of Quintal, but those stupid jerk owners/nhlpa look like they already plan a long vaction) It's hard to have a ton of confidence when your trying to stay in the lineup. Maybe his offensive game will not develop as it did in the NCAA and AHL, but up till now he's shown he has offensive upside, outside of the 67 NHL games he's played over the last 2 NHL seasons as a 21 and 22 year old defensemen.

Marchy79

Mar 1, 2003
Barrie
Visit site
JohnGalt said:
Would Montreal have traded Komo, a 1st and a 2nd to Wash for Gonchar?

It was mentioned that Andre Savard on his last day as Montreal GM last summer (before Bob Gainey stepped in) had over 2 dozen phone calls in regards to the chances of acquiring Mike Komisarek... He turned every one of them down.

He's as untouchable as they come.

I agree with Montreal and other hab fans in regards to the Hab bashing... It is getting very old indeed.

As for Komisarek vS Morrisonn... I would also pick Komisarek, as most Hab fan posters have mentioned, this kid is something else. His potential is very high... For the many reasons that people have mentioned (started hockey at 12, size, speed, The ability he has shown to dominate every other league except the NHL to date . Shaone can be a good defenceman some day and a good #2... But Komisarek will be the Hab's best top defenceman in due time... He will find himself in the elite class of d-men someday...

As for the projection that he's nothing special... It is evident to anybody who has watched this kid play, he's learning in leaps and bounds, I have honestly never seen a rookie learn as quickly as Mike Komisarek... Down the stretch and in to the playoffs, EVERY game was an improvement from the last. It was literally astonishing, and exciting to watch as a Hab fan first, and as a hockey fan second.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Nash13 said:
Who was that Komisarek who played in those other 3 to 7 games in the playoffs considering he only played 7 ;) Speaking of, what Montreal team played in those other games considering Montreal only played 11. Maybe that is why his offensive game was missing, it was like he wasn't even on the ice.

Good point ;)

I saw all of the Habs playoff games but one, and I know he wasn't playing in that one.

He did have one real kick-butt game against Boston. Remember that hit against Joe Thornton? That's the sort of stuff that Komisarek is going to bring to the rink for years, so for that reason I do like him.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
montreal said:
You say you saw him in the playoffs? Komisarek was one of our top defensemen in the playoffs for sure in the 7 games he played, and if you look at his ice time, and you'll see the coaches must agree too, as I thought he played some of his better hockey. And he isn't supposed to have offenisve upside, he has it. If you saw him at Michigan or Hamilton, he showed good offensive skills. I would suggest waiting till he's a full time player (which he would have been this year with the trade of Quintal, but those stupid jerk owners/nhlpa look like they already plan a long vaction) It's hard to have a ton of confidence when your trying to stay in the lineup. Maybe his offensive game will not develop as it did in the NCAA and AHL, but up till now he's shown he has offensive upside, outside of the 67 NHL games he's played over the last 2 NHL seasons as a 21 and 22 year old defensemen.

Actually, I have seen him play in Hamilton as well. I'm well aware how he played there. He had good nights and bad nights, but for the most part he was very good in the AHL. I think we all expected him to do well in the AHL, his size and skill are too good for that league for long.

Outside of that one game in Boston where he really nailed Joe Thornton (amongst other things), I thought he was one of the lesser lights on the Habs blueline.

db23

I tend to agree with the posters who said that Komisarek looked better when he first came up. I just think, like I said before that he was overcoached. When players starts stopping to think on the ice, they're in trouble. That is what happened with Mike. If Julien had half a brain (which I don't know whether he has), he woudl just put Mike on the ice with Souray or Markov and let him go. Both years Komisarek has been called up in the second half of the season and everyone in Montreal is deathly afraid of missing the playoffs so they are afraid to take any chances.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Jay Thompson said:
Actually, I have seen him play in Hamilton as well. I'm well aware how he played there. He had good nights and bad nights, but for the most part he was very good in the AHL. I think we all expected him to do well in the AHL, his size and skill are too good for that league for long.

Outside of that one game in Boston where he really nailed Joe Thornton (amongst other things), I thought he was one of the lesser lights on the Habs blueline.

Do you think the Canadiens coaches would increase his ice time if he was one of the lesser lights on the blueline in the playoffs? I really don't think your well aware of how he played down there just going off your comments. But different people see different things. I usually tend to disagree with most of your comments anyways, so this is nothing new and nothing personal I just don't see what you see in players in terms of Hab prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->