Line Combos: Komarov Watch

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Komarov actually helps us a lot against Boston. Who does not is Plekanec....He does absolutely nothing for us. Leo basically plays C in the d zone anyways dont see why we cant run: Johnsson-Leo-Kap
Komarov did literally nothing as well. But Babcock doesn't see him as a C so it's pointless to discuss a move to C. Arguing over W decisions at least feels like I'm putting a wish out to God for Babcock to wake up and realize Johnsson > Komarov.

What the hell did Komarov do yesterday that helped us a lot against Boston btw?

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Komarov did literally nothing as well. But Babcock doesn't see him as a C so it's pointless to discuss a move to C. Arguing over W decisions at least feels like I'm putting a wish out to God for Babcock to wake up and realize Johnsson > Komarov.

What the hell did Komarov do yesterday that helped us a lot against Boston btw?
Komarov is good defensively and he wins puck battles. People who only watch the puck carriers will not notice the little things he does well as he is horrible with the puck. Bottom line is he is our best defensive forward. Plekanec isnt good in any sense and is our worst PKer.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Komarov is good defensively and he wins puck battles. People who only watch the puck carriers will not notice the little things he does well as he is horrible with the puck. Bottom line is he is our best defensive forward. Plekanec isnt good in any sense and is our worst PKer.
Our best defensive forward got absolutely shredded last night and is anchoring a bad PK. It seems like our best defensive forward isn't actually good defensively (or at all) at this stage in his career.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Our best defensive forward got absolutely shredded last night and is anchoring a bad PK. It seems like our best defensive forward isn't actually good defensively (or at all) at this stage in his career.
yup. poster you quoted is out to lunch if they think komo is our best defensive forward. this isn't 2015/2016/2017. Komo is a shadow of himself -- heck, his shadow would be scared of what he's become now. Just terrible. To make matters worse, he gets put on line #1 now so Marchand can lick him some more. Just great decision making and scheming by Babcock. What do we pay him again per year? Jheeze.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Explain to me how he helps out the Matthews line more than Hyman, who was actually our best player last night on both sides of the puck.
Komarov is done, and is a waste of a roster spot right now. Everyone he has played with this year he has dragged down and now the brilliant decision is to move him up to the #1 line.
With 5 on 5, PK, and PP time he'll be well over 20 minutes Saturday night, maybe more.
This is absurd. Whether you're in panic mode or not after 1 game, moving a useless player up with arguably our 2 best players is f***ed.

Reactions: PuckMagi

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
He's on 1st line. I'm so ****ing pissed.

Babcock lost this series for us. It isn't even done, but it's already easy to call it with this ****.
Overreaction much. Go cheer for another team than. You won't be missed around here.

It was one game, and Komarov wasn't even bad.

Reactions: Kurtz

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I've known for a long time that Babcock was a really bad coach. I took a lot of crap for saying it pretty early on.

If he puts Komarov with Matthews and Nylander... that should be all the proof anyone needs.

If we lose this series because Babcock used Komarov on the top line... I hope Leaf's Nation will run him out of town.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Overreaction much. Go cheer for another team than. You won't be missed around here.

He was invisible in terms of 0 good plays, and the play dying on his stick once he got it. And he is the 14th best forward on this team. It's not an overreaction to be f***ing pissed that the 14th best forward is matched up against the best 1st line in the league with your most dominant pair as he will yet again be invisible and let the BOS line play 3v2 and neutralize the Matthews-Nylander pair.

I'll cheer for who I want princess.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

OK, he wasn't even bad and that's worth a promotion to first line duty? He wasn't very good, nobody was. I just don't understand Babcock. He has coached Team Canada in the Olympics, he should know what talent looks like yet he potentially will saddle Matthews and Willy with Leo.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I've known for a long time that Babcock was a really bad coach. I took a lot of crap for saying it pretty early on.

If he puts Komarov with Matthews and Nylander... that should be all the proof anyone needs.

If we lose this series because Babcock used Komarov on the top line... I hope Leaf's Nation will run him out of town.
I'm going to give it another year, but if his love for grinders continues and gets us another first round exit, I will completely support replacing him with Keefe.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
He was invisible in terms of 0 good plays, and the play dying on his stick once he got it. And he is the 14th best forward on this team. It's not an overreaction to be ****ing pissed that the 14th best forward is matched up against the best 1st line in the league with your most dominant pair as he will yet again be invisible and let the BOS line play 3v2 and neutralize the Matthews-Nylander pair.

I'll cheer for who I want princess.
Lol, Princess is the icing on the cake! You're the one acting so prissy

He's good defensively and the assumption is, he's there to help Matthews defend the Bergeron line.

Reactions: CelticDruid

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
OK, he wasn't even bad and that's worth a promotion to first line duty? He wasn't very good, nobody was. I just don't understand Babcock. He has coached Team Canada in the Olympics, he should know what talent looks like yet he potentially will saddle Matthews and Willy with Leo.
Again, same as the other thread, if I were coach, I wouldn't use these lines.

But there's a guy out there who gets paid a lot more than me, who knows these players a lot better than me and who is a heck of a lot smarter than anyone of us, who thinks this could work.

I have to defer and trust him.

He got this team the most points they've ever gotten in the season, he's clearly good at his job. No reason to doubt him now.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

But there's a guy out there who gets paid a lot more than me, who knows these players a lot better than me and who is a heck of a lot smarter than anyone of us, who thinks this could work.

He got this team the most points they've ever gotten in the season, he's clearly good at his job. No reason to doubt him now.

Don't like it, don't really understand it, but it is what it is.
Hope he's right. And if it back-fires, he will be justifiably criticized

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Lol, Princess is the icing on the cake! You're the one acting so prissy

He's good defensively and the assumption is, he's there to help Matthews defend the Bergeron line.
Lmao. If you're gonna be childish with the "you won't be missed" I'll give ya the same respect

He is not good defensively 5v5 is the thing, especially not good enough to defend 1st liners. He's essentially the forward version of Polak now, in a situation where speed is much less of a factor on PK he can be good defensively but going up and down the ice 5v5 makes him weak defensively.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Not a bad move by Babcock putting Komorov on the first line in order to neutralize the Bergeron line and let Hyman in on the forecheck on the 2nd line.A good strategy for all of the other lines who can freewheel.

Reactions: my name is Bob

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

We have a stacked roster. We have the best young talent in the league. It wasn't Babcock's coaching that got us those points... it was guys like: Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Andersen, Kadri, JVR, Rielly, Gardiner, Dermott, etc. That's the reason why we did so well this year... we have a really good core group of players and we are really deep on offense.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
We have a stacked roster. We have the best young talent in the league. It wasn't Babcock's coaching that got us those points... it was guys like: Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Andersen, Kadri, JVR, Rielly, Gardiner, Dermott, etc. That's the reason why we did so well this year... we have a really good core group of players and we are really deep on offense.
Yep. Very good rosters will get you points in spite of the coach if need be. Not that I think Babcock is trash or anything of the sort, his systems are good (except for the reliance on dumping out of the zone). But starting to think he's stuck in the past thinking doing what he did in 2008 will get another ring on his finger. The game has completely changed, this is actually pretty common for single Cup winners to never win as they look star their ring and say I can win again instead of continuing to try to improve. The drive for the 1st ring is way more than the drive for a 2nd, that's why tons of coaches have only 1 ring when a very select few have multiple rings.

Reactions: david999

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Lmao. If you're gonna be childish with the "you won't be missed" I'll give ya the same respect

He is not good defensively 5v5 is the thing, especially not good enough to defend 1st liners. He's essentially the forward version of Polak now, in a situation where speed is much less of a factor on PK he can be good defensively but going up and down the ice 5v5 makes him weak defensively.
We'll have to disagree on defensive ability. I know he's one of the best defensive forwards on our team and I'll leave it at that.

Mark my words though, when Marchand comes out hot next game to take vengeance for Kadri, Leo is going to poke the bear. And before the game is over, big nose Marchy is going to take a couple stupid penalties or worse.

The bruins got to Kadri, Babcock wants to get to Marchand

Reactions: Kurtz

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I hope that the only reason Komarov is on the top line is to bait Marchand all game otherwise I just don't get it.

Leo plays with this unit on the PP and they were absolutely dreadful all season as a group. When Johnsson got his call up that line looked energized an invigorated. Now we are putting Johnsson on a 4th line checking role so Leo can play top line with AM34. What the hell?

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Lol. Leo isn’t to blame for r-tarded penalties and the leafs D-men being atrocious.
It's the game as a whole.

Johnsson is possession friendly. Leo banks it out the zone right back to the other team. False sense of progress.

Reactions: Menzinger

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Komarov is a middling 4th liner at this point whose fine in the PK.

Having him on the first line makes them worse. Really hard to grasp the logic of this move.

My thinking is that Babs expects the Bergeron line to be matched up against Matthews. Bergeron is a selke C, so he should be able to neutralize Matthews, which leaves the two wingers on Boston's line with the freedom to go offensive. This is where Komarov comes in.

Tactically, it would even make sense to take Nylander off that line on the road, and put Brown there. Sure, the line won't score much, but it will be able to neutralize the Bruins top line also.

I expect that this will change when we get home and will be able to put our checking line on the Bruins 1st and get Matthews away from Bergeron more often.

Reactions: marty111

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->