Confirmed with Link: Komarov 4x3

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Here is something amusing about Komarov that I read somewhere awhile ago. Komarov apparently has many hidden talents that his teammates learned about him. His former team was staying in a hotel where apparently the story goes they were walking towards the hotel lobby looking for Komarov, when they heard someone playing the piano to a beautiful melody. When they got to the lobby, to their complete surprise it was Komarov on the piano playing effortlessly. Apparently they got a chuckle out of this. Komarov is a man full of surprises.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Pretty sure he left due to the lockout....just like everyone else did

Fake news. Sad!
Actually, he played in the NHL after the lockout, and only signed in the KHL after the season was over.

Sorry, but your version is the 'fake news'.

Reactions: Kelly

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Here is something amusing about Komarov that I read somewhere awhile ago. Komarov apparently has many hidden talents that his teammates learned about him. His former team was staying in a hotel where apparently the story goes they were walking towards the hotel lobby looking for Komarov, when they heard someone playing the piano to a beautiful melody. When they got to the lobby, to their complete surprise it was Komarov on the piano playing effortlessly. Apparently they got a chuckle out of this. Komarov is a man full of surprises.

That's why Lou signed him. The intangibles.

Reactions: Black and Blue

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Here's a list of all the goals Komarov has scored and who was in on the plays? You'll be hard pressed looking at this list to find that the center he was playing with
was Nazem Kadri. Perhaps it was on purpose? But the Komarov/Kadri/C.Brown line had one, and only one play. Kadri skates up the ice, mostly turns over the
puck, and all four other skaters would be ready in a defensive position. It was safe, conservative hockey that was shutting down top opposition. When teams realized
this, they started shutting down Kadri's little exploits and Kadri has about 1 goal, no assists in 20 games. In terms of 'work together', Komarov hasn't had that in a
very very long time. Of course he's not a huge scoring threat, but he could play a bigger offensive role.

2012-2013
Leo Komarov from Nikolai Kulemin
Leo Komarov from Mark Fraser and Cody Franson
Leo Komarov from Ryan O'Bryne and Jay McClement
Leo Komarov from Jay McClement and John-Michael Liles

Lock-out. Lead Moscow Dynamo in scoring.

Leo Komarov from Jake Gardiner
Leo Komarov from Mike Santorelli
Leo Komarov from Mike Santorelli, Nazem Kadri
Leo Komarov from Peter Holland
Leo Komarov from David Booth
Leo Komarov from David Booth, Trevor Smith
Leo Komarov from Zach Sill
Leo Komarov from Daniel Winnik, Morgan Rielly
Leo Komarov from Peter Holland, Michael Grabner
Leo Komarov from Jake Gardiner, Nazem Kadri
Leo Komarov from JVR, Scott Harrington
Leo Komarov from Polak, JVR
Leo Komarov from Shawn Matthias
Leo Komarov from JVR, Phaneuf
Leo Komarov from Phaneuf, JVR
Leo Komarov from JVR
Leo Komarov from Frank Corrado, Nazem Kadri
Leo Komarov from Matt Hunwick, Michael Grabner
Leo Komarov from Morgan Rielly, Michael Grabner
Leo Komarov from Gardiner, Nazem Kadri
Leo Komarov from Peter Holland, Gardiner
*Leo Komarov from Nazem Kadri, Dion Phaneuf
Leo Komarov from Rielly, Polak
Leo Komarov, unassisted.
Leo Komarov from Sosnikov, Rielly
Leo Komarov from Matthews, C.Carrick
Leo Komarov, unassisted.
Leo Komarov from Marincin, C.Brown
Leo Komarov from C.Brown, Nazem Kadri
Leo Komarov from Gardiner, C.Brown
Leo Komarov , unassisted.
Leo Komarov, Gardiner, Nylander
Leo Komarov from Matthews
Leo Komarov from Nazem Kadri
Leo Komarov from Josh Leivo, Nikita Zaitsev
Leo Komarov from Nylander, Matthews
Leo Komarov from Nylander
Leo Komarov from Marleau
Leo Komarov, unassisted
Leo Komarov from Hainsey, Hyman
Leo Komarov from Nylander, Marleau
Leo Komarov, unassisted

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Serious question here for those with more astute knowledge of LL do any of you see a strategy in the hoarding of all these third and forth line players? Are we trying to lure Sorokin over by singing more of his countrymen. Someone mention dwindling cap space a legitimate concern for sure. I’m a bit perplexed what do you think the logic is here.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Serious question here for those with more astute knowledge of LL do any of you see a strategy in the hoarding of all these third and forth line players? Are we trying to lure Sorokin over by singing more of his countrymen. Someone mention dwindling cap space a legitimate concern for sure. I’m a bit perplexed what do you think the logic is here.

I believe Lou is trying to make us a Pain in the Ass to play against with Grinders...
I for one, do not have a problem with it. It will buy some time for the Kids to develop...
If we can lure Sorokin over with Grinders from Russia then even better...

Reactions: Quicklime

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
hmmm

I think the bottom 6 sucked last year; Quine, Prince and Kulemin were let go and Kuhnackel, Martin, Komarov and Filpula came in.

Common themes of the guys brought in? Defensive play and leadership. Last two years our offense/team was devoid of it. I don't think it goes a tremendous amount further than that.

They're the right players for the team like their contracts or not but it is what it is. Komarov's intangibles that include his language.. well it's just a bonus. But if Lou wanted a russia speaker so bad he could have kept Kuli but elected to go with Komarov. Good choice IMO

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Here's a list of all the goals Komarov has scored and who was in on the plays? You'll be hard pressed looking at this list to find that the center he was playing with
was Nazem Kadri. Perhaps it was on purpose? But the Komarov/Kadri/C.Brown line had one, and only one play. Kadri skates up the ice, mostly turns over the
puck, and all four other skaters would be ready in a defensive position. It was safe, conservative hockey that was shutting down top opposition. When teams realized
this, they started shutting down Kadri's little exploits and Kadri has about 1 goal, no assists in 20 games. In terms of 'work together', Komarov hasn't had that in a
very very long time. Of course he's not a huge scoring threat, but he could play a bigger offensive role.

2012-2013
Leo Komarov from Nikolai Kulemin
Leo Komarov from Mark Fraser and Cody Franson
Leo Komarov from Ryan O'Bryne and Jay McClement
Leo Komarov from Jay McClement and John-Michael Liles

Lock-out. Lead Moscow Dynamo in scoring.

Leo Komarov from Jake Gardiner
Leo Komarov from Mike Santorelli
Leo Komarov from Mike Santorelli, Nazem Kadri
Leo Komarov from Peter Holland
Leo Komarov from David Booth
Leo Komarov from David Booth, Trevor Smith
Leo Komarov from Zach Sill
Leo Komarov from Daniel Winnik, Morgan Rielly
Leo Komarov from Peter Holland, Michael Grabner
Leo Komarov from Jake Gardiner, Nazem Kadri
Leo Komarov from JVR, Scott Harrington
Leo Komarov from Polak, JVR
Leo Komarov from Shawn Matthias
Leo Komarov from Phaneuf, JVR
Leo Komarov from JVR
Leo Komarov from Frank Corrado, Nazem Kadri
Leo Komarov from Matt Hunwick, Michael Grabner
Leo Komarov from Morgan Rielly, Michael Grabner
Leo Komarov from Peter Holland, Gardiner
*Leo Komarov from Nazem Kadri, Dion Phaneuf
Leo Komarov from Rielly, Polak
Leo Komarov, unassisted.
Leo Komarov from Sosnikov, Rielly
Leo Komarov from Matthews, C.Carrick
Leo Komarov, unassisted.
Leo Komarov from Marincin, C.Brown
Leo Komarov from Gardiner, C.Brown
Leo Komarov , unassisted.
Leo Komarov, Gardiner, Nylander
Leo Komarov from Matthews
Leo Komarov from Josh Leivo, Nikita Zaitsev
Leo Komarov from Nylander
Leo Komarov from Marleau
Leo Komarov, unassisted
Leo Komarov from Hainsey, Hyman
Leo Komarov from Nylander, Marleau
Leo Komarov, unassisted
Good job. Kadri can be a real pest, and can score, but he is not a set up man, and can be absolutely horrible in decision making. He gives the puck away through bad or weak passes far too much.

One thing you'll notice about Komarov is his smart play with and without the puck. Generally low risk passes, and if a defenceman pinches, it's usually Komarov covering for him.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Late to the game, thought I'd give my own brief report on Leo.

The Good:
He's fearless. He will play a physical game and draw a ton of penalties because of it.
Very solid defensively. Always hustles, frequently covers for pinching defenders. Kills penalties with aplomb.
Can play any forward position, and will take (and even win) faceoffs when needed.
Pretty good wheels.

The Bad:
Has the offensive IQ of a fence post. If he ends up on the power play, you may pull out your hair. On occasion, Leo Komarov is where offensive opportunities go to die.
Doesn't have great hands
Can sometimes try to look really busy without actually doing anything. Mostly a mental lapse kind of deal.

Is it a great contract? No. But there are far worse ways to spend money. Uncle Leo is a good soldier. His teammates always love him, fans of his team usually love him, and opposing fans despise him. One other great thing is he is a troll on the ice and you'll definitely get a few laughs watching him bug his opponents.

isles7

Feb 10, 2012
hmmm

I think the bottom 6 sucked last year; Quine, Prince and Kulemin were let go and Kuhnackel, Martin, Komarov and Filpula came in.

Common themes of the guys brought in? Defensive play and leadership. Last two years our offense/team was devoid of it. I don't think it goes a tremendous amount further than that.

They're the right players for the team like their contracts or not but it is what it is. Komarov's intangibles that include his language.. well it's just a bonus. But if Lou wanted a russia speaker so bad he could have kept Kuli but elected to go with Komarov. Good choice IMO
I couldn't agree more. This team has struggled to put out a solid bottom 6 which I believe was partly to blame for our defensive deficiencies. A solid, veteran bottom 6 that's hard to play against, can eat minutes, wear down the opposition and kill penalties will only benefit our top 6.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I would pick Komarov over Prince every day and twice on Sundays. Prince didn't score either...if anything, we get a few wins from him this season for just playing proper hockey

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Late to the game, thought I'd give my own brief report on Leo.
....The Bad:
Has the offensive IQ of a fence post. If he ends up on the power play, you may pull out your hair. On occasion, Leo Komarov is where offensive opportunities go to die.
Many Leaf fans who constantly hammered on about Komarov's power-play. But he saw very little use there. Even if he did nothing at all, it wouldn't a big impact. As it was, he was more productive then Connor Brown with less ice-time. Yet C.Brown didn't receive any flak. And one thing people don't seem to realize, the Leafs had Matthews and Nylander who are both very significantly soft players. Really I think he was being used as an example of getting dirty on the power-play and seeing how it generates chances. It's not all cute plays or hands of JVR that work. Yeah being a fence post in front of the opposing team's net sometimes is the correct play. Message sent.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would pick Komarov over Prince every day and twice on Sundays. Prince didn't score either...if anything, we get a few wins from him this season for just playing proper hockey

I am going to make a prediction. Isles fans are going to be endeared to by Komarov's play. If Trotz really wants to emphasize the being hard to play against mantra he mentioned last week. Komarov is going to the poster child to this. I think he has the potential to score 15 this season. But it is his defensive play, attitude, and agitation to the opposition that will put him in good stead with Isles fans. Isles won't be push overs this year. There will be a price to pay playing them.

Reactions: PotvinsCups4

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I am going to make a prediction. Isles fans are going to be endeared to by Komarov's play. If Trotz really wants to emphasize the being hard to play against mantra he mentioned last week. Komarov is going to the poster child to this. I think he has the potential to score 15 this season. But it is his defensive play, attitude, and agitation to the opposition that will put him in good stead with Isles fans. Isles won't be push overs this year. There will be a price to pay playing them.
That's what the team needs.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I usually don't rip players because it's management that got them here, but the ISLES will end up with two more of these 4th liners next summer if they mess up the Lee and Eberle situation. ONCE JT left A lot of money was left here and to not spend it on good players because you don't want to over pay lol...but you keep overpaying 4th liners....where is Neil Smith. At least his moves made sense

steveat

Jun 4, 2011

Kool Lemon replacement?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Komarov was not good last year, and his possession relative to the team has been getting worse the last two years.

It was bad the season before last, and God AWFUL last year.

He is likely going to be a black hole that will drag down any line he is on outside the 4th, that's where you fans should hope he is.

He can't keep up with a high octane team, so you better hope he's kept away from your good players.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Komarov looks like he is in tonight. BTW I would not listen to the poster 2 posts above. I expect Komarov to be better this year. He played against the best lines last year. He also had some personal problems apparently, he was also hurt in the playoffs. Yet Babcock liked him, and also gave him a 'A'. Something that has been made a lot of this summer with wonder boy not getting a letter. But if he plays his style, and agitates, hits, PK, plays a team game, and contributes 15 goals this season. He will be well worth the 3M.

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
From the stats last year Komarov playd 17 min and over in 23 games . Toronto has 18-3-2 in those games that is 1,65 point/game . Toronto has 105 point in 82 games that in 1,28 point/game

HC7

May 2, 2018

Amazing!

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Komarov looks like he is in tonight. BTW I would not listen to the poster 2 posts above. I expect Komarov to be better this year. He played against the best lines last year. He also had some personal problems apparently, he was also hurt in the playoffs. Yet Babcock liked him, and also gave him a 'A'. Something that has been made a lot of this summer with wonder boy not getting a letter. But if he plays his style, and agitates, hits, PK, plays a team game, and contributes 15 goals this season. He will be well worth the 3M.

Trust me, Komarov is not going to be good at even strength for the Islanders, especially if he is put on a line that plays with pace.

Which sucks, because he was a great foot solider, and seems like an awesome guy off the ice.

He still is a very, very good PKer though so there is that to build off.

I'd even say Martin will be more serviceable than him at even strength, Martin was fine when he was with the Leafs and I expect him to continue to be that back with the Islanders.

Maybe you're right and it was the injuries that played into it, but his decision making was not very good last year, and his legs seemed to be fading on him.

Guess we'll see.

Reactions: HymanLover

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad