Koltsov wants to go home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
That one article may be lost in translation, but he comes off as being a not-so-good team player. He flat-out questions the Moose's veteran leadership among other things.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
He is homesick, and he feels he can get better in Russia. I don't agree, but I haven't lost hope. He will come back over when the NHL starts, to try out for the Canucks. He just feels its a waste to play in North America when there is no NHL on, he has no chance at being called up, I am slightly dissapointed, but I don't think its as bad as it sounds.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
jtuzzi21 said:
He is homesick, and he feels he can get better in Russia. I don't agree, but I haven't lost hope. He will come back over when the NHL starts, to try out for the Canucks. He just feels its a waste to play in North America when there is no NHL on, he has no chance at being called up, I am slightly dissapointed, but I don't think its as bad as it sounds.

Soudns pretty bad to me. The guy should be putting in his dues. Being drafted and having the chance at the NHL in the future is a privledge. Just because he can't be called up this year, sounds like an ego problem. Look at all the guys who bleed in the AHL for many seasons before being called up. Sounds like Fedor has rubbed off a bit on him.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Its sad, because next to Naslund and maybe the Sedins, he is are most purely skilled player. But skill can't take you everywhere. Just look at Brendl, etc.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Some of you guys must think the only way to play in the NHL is to play in the AHL. With no NHL season in sight, Koltsov is simply looking to play with the best possible players. Playing with Jaromir Jagr beats playing with Peter Sarno any day of the week.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The AHL helps a player adapt to the NHL far better than the RSL would. Lots of guys opted to stay in the AHL this year as a way to make good with their parent team's brass, and to play in the next-best-thing to the NHL, instead of heading to Europe where the talent and money is.

Not to mention the fact that he signed that piece of paper commonly referred to as a contract.

leafaholix*

Epsilon said:
Some of you guys must think the only way to play in the NHL is to play in the AHL. With no NHL season in sight, Koltsov is simply looking to play with the best possible players. Playing with Jaromir Jagr beats playing with Peter Sarno any day of the week.
And how is playing with Jaromir Jagr going to improve Kirill Koltsov?

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Leafaholix said:
And how is playing with Jaromir Jagr going to improve Kirill Koltsov?

So playing with better players, against better competition, does not help a player improve his skills? Might as well send prospects to the ECHL then.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He's not trying to improve his skills, he's trying to get to the NHL.

Canucks fans have already noted that skill-wise Koltsov is right up there with Naslund, etc.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Jacobv2 said:

Canucks fans have already noted that skill-wise Koltsov is right up there with Naslund, etc.
Agreed. As some of our scouts have said, he is arguably the 2nd most talented player in the whole system. I don't really care where he plays, as long as he keeps trying to make the Canucks. This is a bad move, but I don't think its as bad as it seems to be.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
jtuzzi21 said:
Agreed. As some of our scouts have said, he is arguably the 2nd most talented player in the whole system. I don't really care where he plays, as long as he keeps trying to make the Canucks. This is a bad move, but I don't think its as bad as it seems to be.

He sure is not endearing himself to Canuck management by going to Russia against their wishes, abandoning his AHL teammates who count on him..

A player that develops a reputation as a quitter will eventually pay for those decisions in the long run, and what he thinks may be bettering his chances may in fact be reducing his opportunities for NHL employment. IMO

If the NHL started up again I am willing to bet no matter how skilled Kolstov is that if an injury occurs that he will not be the first one called upon as a replacement and if he remains in Europe could not either for that matter ..

leafaholix*

Epsilon said:
So playing with better players, against better competition, does not help a player improve his skills? Might as well send prospects to the ECHL then.
Playing with Jaromir Jagr will not improve his skills, maybe his numbers, but not his skills and preperation for the NHL.

AgentNaslund*

Jacobv2 said:

Yup. He also have way more skill then any of those defencemens in the top 50 prospects.

leafaholix*

AgentNaslund said:
Yup. He also have way more skill then any of those defencemens in the top 50 prospects.
His lack of defensive presence and consistent stupid decisions make up for his offensive skills.

That's why he's no top 50 prospect.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Is it just me or have the player salaries in Russia gone higher and higher the last 5 years? I know that Kazn thing is celebrating its anniversery of some sort but what if its not a one time thing.

If the top players in that league can make over 1,000,000 US tax free... you have to wonder how many russians will decide to stay home over the next decade or so.

cj

Jul 17, 2004
The Messenger said:
He sure is not endearing himself to Canuck management by going to Russia against their wishes, abandoning his AHL teammates who count on him..

A player that develops a reputation as a quitter will eventually pay for those decisions in the long run, and what he thinks may be bettering his chances may in fact be reducing his opportunities for NHL employment. IMO

If the NHL started up again I am willing to bet no matter how skilled Kolstov is that if an injury occurs that he will not be the first one called upon as a replacement and if he remains in Europe could not either for that matter ..

You'd be correct on that last point, but not because of his latest antics. Koltsov is not ready for the NHL. He still needed at least the rest of this season to develop before he'd get a chance with the Canucks. The most frustrating part about this is the fact that he was making significant improvement this year. He was still making the odd bonehead play but you could tell that he at least recognised his own end of the rink. This is just going to stall his development.

That being said, the Canucks management would be stupid to blackball him for this. They need to treat this situation as delicately as possible to avoid alienating Koltsov for good. Let's be honest here, who else do the Canucks have in their system with the kind of talent and potential that Koltsov has?? :help:

Like jtuzzi21 said, I don't think this is cause for panic. It's dissapointing, but it's not catastrophic. But really, considering the great season the Moose and the Canucks prospects playing there were having, you had to know something like this was going to happen. As most Canucks fans know, if it seems too good to be true...it is.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Leafaholix said:
Playing with Jaromir Jagr will not improve his skills, maybe his numbers, but not his skills and preperation for the NHL.

Yes, learning from a 14 year NHL veteran, among other NHL vets on the same team, while playing against NHL vets will do nothing for his NHL preparation.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Hero of Tragedy said:
Yes, learning from a 14 year NHL veteran, among other NHL vets on the same team, while playing against NHL vets will do nothing for his NHL preparation.

For prepping for the NHL, guys liek Jagr are NOT a good mentor. Would you want your top prospect learning froma guy who takes many nights off? No, you want a guy to teach him who has passion for the game. Jagr is not the same 1990s Jagr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad