Prospect Info: Kole Lind

Status
Not open for further replies.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Kole Lind about to make his professional debut in a few minutes during a school day matinee game in Toronto.

I listened to a couple of the games he played in junior, looking forward to seeing how he does for you guys.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
So hows he been doing the last few games in Utica anyone watch those games?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So hows he been doing the last few games in Utica anyone watch those games?
According to Utica-watchers he had his strongest outing yesterday against the Crunch....starting to adjust to the pace....has a sneaky quick backhander from the slot....something Jimbo mentioned on Prospects Radio....Lind apparently has one of the best backhanders he's seen in his recent years of scouting....backhander is kind of a lost art, but still a shot that gives a goalie fits.....hopefully he starts scoring in the AHL soon.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Rick Dhaliwal‏ @DhaliwalSports 10m10 minutes ago
Just talked with Kole Lind about the massive jump from junior to pro hockey, not getting to play in playoffs and what he was told in his Utica exit meeting.

Lind: "You have to be a complete player in pro hockey, you have to be a 200 foot player to play in that league, that's what I learned. I tried to adjust my game, I started getting chances at the end, as long as I get chances I can put up numbers."

Lind on not getting to play in the playoffs: "It's never easy siting out games no matter what level it's at, sitting and watching always sucks. But watching the games in Utica and the electricity in the building makes me excited for the next step."

Lind on his exit meeting: "Biggest thing Trent Cull told me was to get stronger this summer. I told them that being quicker and shield the puck from men is the biggest thing I need to work on, it's a big summer for me."

(pretty sure this could almost be any prospect talking, just replace the name... still, sounds like Utica was an eye opener for him which is exactly what you want)

Reactions: lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rick Dhaliwal‏ @DhaliwalSports 10m10 minutes ago
Just talked with Kole Lind about the massive jump from junior to pro hockey, not getting to play in playoffs and what he was told in his Utica exit meeting.

Lind: "You have to be a complete player in pro hockey, you have to be a 200 foot player to play in that league, that's what I learned. I tried to adjust my game, I started getting chances at the end, as long as I get chances I can put up numbers."

Lind on not getting to play in the playoffs: "It's never easy siting out games no matter what level it's at, sitting and watching always sucks. But watching the games in Utica and the electricity in the building makes me excited for the next step."

Lind on his exit meeting: "Biggest thing Trent Cull told me was to get stronger this summer. I told them that being quicker and shield the puck from men is the biggest thing I need to work on, it's a big summer for me."

(pretty sure this could almost be any prospect talking, just replace the name... still, sounds like Utica was an eye opener for him which is exactly what you want)
Prospects are on such a fast-track now, and the expectations always seem to be off the charts...but if he isn't nearly a ppg player in the AHL next season, the questions will be begin to crop up. No pressure!

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Prospects are on such a fast-track now, and the expectations always seem to be off the charts...but if he isn't nearly a ppg player in the AHL next season, the questions will be begin to crop up. No pressure!

Dunno if you’re being serious but no, nobody “expects” Lind to be PPG next year in the AHL.

If he barely plays and struggles to hit 10 pts then yes, there will be concern and some people might even *gasp* DOUBT his chances of becoming an NHL scorer.

But he doesn’t have to be anything close to PPG to show people he is tracking well. 0.5PPG in a middle 6 role would be plenty encouraging to me.

Reactions: kanuck87

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Dunno if you’re being serious but no, nobody “expects” Lind to be PPG next year in the AHL.

If he barely plays and struggles to hit 10 pts then yes, there will be concern and some people might even *gasp* DOUBT his chances of becoming an NHL scorer.

But he doesn’t have to be anything close to PPG to show people he is tracking well. 0.5PPG in a middle 6 role would be plenty encouraging to me.

If that's what he does, there's probably an 80-90% chance he busts.

It's the same with every player. If they can step in straight away as front-line offensive player, they'll probably make it. If they're a middling/struggling player who needs multiple years at that level, it's overwhelmingly likely they won't.

Reactions: clay

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

We're not going to agree. Lind was drafted as a scorer....I get the fact that it's a big jump to the AHL.....but if he doesn't put up at least 15 goals and 40 points next season then there's cause for concern.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

It's the same with every player. If they can step in straight away as front-line offensive player, they'll probably make it. If they're a middling/struggling player who needs multiple years at that level, it's overwhelmingly likely they won't.
Might take him time to ajust tho. Look at Kyle Connor he had a real tough time in the AHL in 2016-17 at the start and then came on STRONG towards the end. Not to compare Lind to him but i think we should be a lil patient if he struggles right out of the gate next season with Utica. Hopefully is a fast learner but not too worried about him as he has shown to be a pretty smart guy who learns quickly when put up with a challenge

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
We're not going to agree. Lind was drafted as a scorer....I get the fact that it's a big jump to the AHL.....but if he doesn't put up at least 15 goals and 40 points next season then there's cause for concern.

Isn’t 40 pts the same as 0.5PPG?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

If he does what? 10 pts? 40 pts?

40 pts as a young AHL rookie (1st year eligible for a CHL draftee) wouldn’t preclude Lind from developing into a middle 6 scorer, which is all I’d expect Lind to be anyway. He’s not an elite scorer who is going to blow thru the A and be on an NHL roster by Christmas. He’s a draft and develop case, as his strength and speed aren’t at the same level as his IQ.

I’d like to see Lind put up 40 pts next year and then either make the NHL the following year or hit close to PPG if he stays in the Anfor a second year. For a guy who I think projects to a 15-20 goal and 20-30 assist guy at best, this seems like a reasonable development path.

Edit: Jake Debrusk is a similar level comp for a guy like Lind. Strong D+1 (Lind’s was better) followed by 49 pts in 74 games in Providence. So let’s say 50 pts for Lind rather than 40. Puts him on a similar development path.

Last edited:
Reactions: Index

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

He is probably already an 80% chance to bust if not more. That is basically the baseline.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Jake DeBrusk's production first year pro is a good metre stick for Lind next year. Both early birthday draft picks from the WHL - Lind actually had much better D + 1 production at 1.64 PPG to DeBrusk's 1.07 PPG. DeBrusk's rookie AHL production was 19 + 30 = 49 in 74 GP. If Lind produces around that level we can be happy about his progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->