Prospect Info: Kole Lind, Pt. II | Is not being taken, etcetera

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Arguable that it was a good pick at the time. I was really hoping for Nic Hague, Jesper Boqvist, or Jason Robertson. I felt Lind was a bit too vanilla without any standout skills. All of these guys tracking way better than Lind.
Normally I try to stay positive, but man Heponiemi would be nice too.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
based on his size, skillset, stats and the old fashioned "eye test" i was so sure that he was going to be one of those 20G / 25A players that need 3 full seasons in the AHL before cracking an NHL roster. Thought he be 20G/25A by 26 or 27 years old

However i was wrong. He looks like a bust. I dont know what it is... junior players either have or dont have this X-factor that allows them to transition their game to the NHL.
Not sure what it is.. i guess really good scouts can see it.
My guess is that the late 1st ronnders/2nd rounders that make it PRO either have a crazy work ethic / internal drive & motivation or super high hockey IQ that helps them deal with the lack of time and space in the pros.... regardless of whatever that X-factor is, Lind doesnt appear to have it. good pick at the time though
its called skating

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Lind like a few prospects have lost the shine they had last season.

Thankfully Elias has more than made up for it.

Going forward they need to draft better than Lind in the 2nd round if they want any real sustained success.

Ever since the regrettable 2012 Alexander Mallet pick they have actually drafted guys with soem sustained hype with their 2nd pick in each draft but really not so great results.

2013 Hunter Shinkaruk, man I really loved this pick at the time but he never even got close.

2014 Jared McCann, who really looked like a steal in his post draft year just slows flashes and fizzled

2015 Guillaume Brisebois who at some point was regarded as a solid 4-5 guy potentially always seems to look like AHL then out of hockey in a couple of years.

2016 William Lockwood looked decent enough but has he gotten any better since his D+! year?

Which leads us to Lind and then Jet Woo.

Hopefully Woo bucks the trend here.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

Going forward they need to draft better than Lind in the 2nd round if they want any real sustained success.

Ever since the regrettable 2012 Alexander Mallet pick they have actually drafted guys with soem sustained hype with their 2nd pick in each draft but really not so great results.

2013 Hunter Shinkaruk, man I really loved this pick at the time but he never even got close.

2014 Jared McCann, who really looked like a steal in his post draft year just slows flashes and fizzled

2015 Guillaume Brisebois who at some point was regarded as a solid 4-5 guy potentially always seems to look like AHL then out of hockey in a couple of years.

2016 William Lockwood looked decent enough but has he gotten any better since his D+! year?

I think the only thing holding Lockwood back from a bottom 6 spot is injuries. I still have faith that he cracks this roster within the next two seasons. Brisebois is more of a stretch but who knows, maybe he can be the next core's Biega/Baumgartner in that reliable #7 type dman.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Vilardi seems to quite obviously have a serious problem with his back that trams likely knew about which explains why he fell so far. Not really fair to pin that on posters who had no way of knowing.

What ? I told them many times Canucks will not pick vilardi. Mommeso has a solid point, and this is why we are just fans and not paid professionals.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I did a draft study from 1992-2007, i.e., 16 drafts, and found that 22% of 2nd-round picks played 400+ games, or 250+ games for a goalie. (Those were the old standards for fully vested player pensions and seemed like a good arbitrary point to say that a guy had a genuine NHL career.) A third of the 2nd-rounders never played in a single NHL game. Don't get your hopes too high for these guys.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Wouldn't it be nice if people would allow a prospect to develop without labeling him a bust after 12 games or at the first sign of adversity? The AHL is a development league and development doesn't happen instantly for most players. Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu, etc clearly have some developing to do - that's why they are playing in the AHL.

It seems that many of the Utica followers are often dismayed that they are not provided more fully developed players. If a player is a prospect and is fully developed in the AHL, he is not going to be there very long. Non-prospect, productive AHL veterans for the most part help to provide a winning culture for the prospects (players the organization is committed to developing) - but once they hit 260 games in the AHL, they are subject to the veteran limit. The core of the team consists of 13 "developmenet" players - who are there to develop.

I'm not here to defend the pick of Kole Lind - I liked it at the time, but regardless of who selected him, when he was a 2nd round pick and has 12 games played in the AHL it's disservice to call him a bust.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

For what it is worth, specific to 2nd rounders, shinkaruk and McCann were first rounders....and Brisebois and Lockwood were 3rd rounders...but your overall point is taken.

Draino

Mar 1, 2017
Vancouver
I'm not here to defend the pick of Kole Lind - I liked it at the time, but regardless of who selected him, when he was a 2nd round pick and has 12 games played in the AHL it's disservice to call him a bust.

i looked at his db this morning. 12 games played. Then I come in here and its as if he is floundering in the AHL after 3 years. holy cripes.

What I am not clear on is how many games he was scratched vs how many games he was injured. Reading through some Utica comments it looks like he had a strong game last night even though he did not show up on the score sheet.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
For what it is worth, specific to 2nd rounders, shinkaruk and McCann were first rounders....and Brisebois and Lockwood were 3rd rounders...but your overall point is taken.

I didn't look at which round they were taken but only to the 2nd player taken by the Canucks in those drafts.

They simply need to do better.

Lind isn't trending well but at least Woo is.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I didn't look at which round they were taken but only to the 2nd player taken by the Canucks in those drafts.

They simply need to do better.

Lind isn't trending well but at least Woo is.

Thats the problem, Lind looked fine last year, its why so many expected more from him. Woo is looking exactly as one would expected, and it won't be until he hits pro that you will really be able to tell if he has a chance or not.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Thats the problem, Lind looked fine last year, its why so many expected more from him. Woo is looking exactly as one would expected, and it won't be until he hits pro that you will really be able to tell if he has a chance or not.

Yes I agree that it's a problem with Lind but Woo has more transferable skills to succeed in the show.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Latest from Orcatown:

"Lind - very weak on his skates - gets knocked down all the time. His progress to date can only be described as dismal."

And yes, I know it's early, but as has been outlined several times before the good prospects show well early and move on quickly. You would be hard pressed to find a long list of guys who struggled this hard early on and then went on to be good NHL players (worthy of being an extremely high 2nd round pick). It especially sucks given how badly this team needs quality D prospects and we passed on what would be some excellent additions to that group and we add a guy who's skillset as a soft skill winger is something we have in spades.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The CHL scouts in this organization are garbage.
I just want to see a home run after the 1st round from the CHL just once. Just one time.

I really wonder about this myself. Brackett and the college-USHL scouts are knocking it out of the park....but on the CHL front the Canucks seem to consistently whiff. The draft stats show that every year, some very good NHL players are being drafted out of the CHL in Rounds 2-7. But the Canucks just aren't finding enough of them.

Their CHL scouting department needs a shakeup.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Latest from Orcatown:

"Lind - very weak on his skates - gets knocked down all the time. His progress to date can only be described as dismal."

And yes, I know it's early, but as has been outlined several times before the good prospects show well early and move on quickly. You would be hard pressed to find a long list of guys who struggled this hard early on and then went on to be good NHL players (worthy of being an extremely high 2nd round pick). It especially sucks given how badly this team needs quality D prospects and we passed on what would be some excellent additions to that group and we add a guy who's skillset as a soft skill winger is something we have in spades.

Last year Dahlen, by his own admission and according to an assessment by Ryan Johnson, was not strong enough and not ready for the AHL. That's why he was sent to Timra. This year he seems to be doing fine. It's a development league. Let players develop. Most of the Utica gang on this forum are pretty pessimistic in their assessment of prospects who are sent to Utica to develop. From a Utica fan perspective, it is natural to want AHL lifers.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
This post unforunately seems to be the proper assessment out of all the arguing in here IMO. I was WAY too hyped for Lindy boy and I wont write him off but def have a lot less expectation than the end of last season. As for the Woo, he looks great now but lets see what he does next season or if makes the AHL or whatever

Same thing with Brassard, looked killer last year but doesnt seem to of developed much this year from reports Ive heard

Reactions: racerjoe

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
i looked at his db this morning. 12 games played. Then I come in here and its as if he is floundering in the AHL after 3 years. holy cripes.

What I am not clear on is how many games he was scratched vs how many games he was injured. Reading through some Utica comments it looks like he had a strong game last night even though he did not show up on the score sheet.

He played six games last year, looked lost and was scratched in the playoffs. This year he has played 12 games and has been healthy scratched at least three times. He has three points in 18 games overall and reports are that his skating is poor and he can't keep up with the play.

A guy who can't stay in a bad AHL lineup in his d+2 just isn't much of a prospect and nobody would think anything of him if he were undrafted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->