Player Discussion Koekkoek for Slater

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Like his play in our own zone particularly around the net. He’s done a good job anticipating passing/shooting lanes and especially tying up guys out front. He shows good defensive zone awareness

He’s been strong so far. A traditional D man, I don’t care about how many points he puts up he adds a good element to that pairing with Barrie.

Leave those two together.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
So far so good, he was one of the players I thought didn't have too bad of a game in game 1. Game 2 he was lights out. Really can't ask too much more from him for what he was brought in to do.

Watching him in junior I thought he was going to be a stud, hasn't lived up to the draft position but he's a solid #4/5.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I'd hold off on the 'protect SK over Jones' rhetoric until we're at least more than halfway through the season. Two games have been played.

If we protect Jones and lose SK I think that's a win for us. We have Samorukov & Broberg in the pipeline, both are stellar LD prospects. Like another poster mentioned, Jones still has upside.
Yep. 4K is a place holder D just eating some minutes until our D prospects arrive. Not sure why people dislike Jones so much either. He is a potential rock back there, needs more seasoning, experience, and seeing some better D like Barrie out there. Thing to be remembered is none of our D prospects have had much to model their NHL game after. Barrie is the best D we have recruited in quite awhile.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
4K has been alright. The love he is getting is a bit over the top. Ironically enough I would say the same about Jones. Both seem to get love above and beyond what I see on the ice.

Over the years I used to think in terms of top 4 and bottom pairing, but then I realized with a good partner any defender can be a respectable #4. So now I think in terms of top 3 and bottom 3.

4k, Jones, Russell, Barrie, and even Larsson are all bottom 3. Without Klefbom we only have 2 top 3 defenseman. Nurse and Bear our only top 3.

Hopefully one of those others can develop/find some consistency to be/become a top 3.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Koekkoek has been what we expected Jones to be this season.

Nothing special but safe enough.

Reactions: belair

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Staios is a great comparison!

I like Staois comparison as well, just a good solid top 4 D man who plays his better hockey in our zone and has the defensive awareness to tie up loose players out front who are scoring threats.

He’s game has such an understated importance in tight games preventing clear cut grade A scoring chances.

Koekkoek has been very impressive for us so far.

Reactions: nabob and Pointteen

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Koekkoek has been what we expected Jones to be this season.

Nothing special but safe enough.
Exactly how I'd sum it up. I'm not a big fan of having both in the lineup at the same time. But Koo x2 hasn't done anything particularly atrocious yet, which gives me some confidence he can get the job done.

Jones is going through some of the sophomore struggles I was worried Bear might run into. If he doesn't manage to pick up his socks, I don't think we'll have to worry about protecting him from Seattle in June/July.

Reactions: Aerchon

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Yep. 4K is a place holder D just eating some minutes until our D prospects arrive. Not sure why people dislike Jones so much either. He is a potential rock back there, needs more seasoning, experience, and seeing some better D like Barrie out there. Thing to be remembered is none of our D prospects have had much to model their NHL game after. Barrie is the best D we have recruited in quite awhile.

Would have been great to have Sekera around, back before he was injured. He would have made a great mentor for the Jones & Bears of today.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I would protect him over Jones at this point tbh. He’s actually capable of helping this team today and should be cheap to re-sign if it continues.
You’re going to throw away years of developing a prospect because a player who’s been discarded by multiple teams had two good games?

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
You’re going to throw away years of developing a prospect because a player who’s been discarded by multiple teams had two good games?

I like how you both minimize (“two good games”) and hyperbolize (“multiple teams”) in the same sentence as it suits you.

The actual facts are that between 18-19 and 19-20, Koekkoek played 73 regular season games for two just two organizations and had a pretty respectable 3-13-16 line with a +7 in that time. He carried that on into the play-ins and made a good account for himself against us, then in the first round versus Vegas when the pace kicked up yet another notch.

Based on the wording in your post I already know how you feel about Koekkoek (“discarded”) and you seem to have an emotional attachment to Jones (“throw away years of development”) as well so I don’t expect this discussion to go anywhere. All I’ll say is if we’re ever going to contend, we need to make hard decisions based on actual results/performance and not just hopes and dreams. The Expansion Draft is a good first test of that, we’ll see what Holland does.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I like how you both minimize (“two good games”) and hyperbolize (“multiple teams”) in the same sentence as it suits you.

The actual facts are that between 18-19 and 19-20, Koekkoek played 73 regular season games for two just two organizations and had a pretty respectable 3-13-16 line with a +7 in that time. He carried that on into the play-ins and made a good account for himself against us, then in the first round versus Vegas when the pace kicked up yet another notch.

Based on the wording in your post I already know how you feel about Koekkoek (“discarded”) and you seem to have an emotional attachment to Jones (“throw away years of development”) as well so I don’t expect this discussion to go anywhere. All I’ll say is if we’re ever going to contend, we need to make hard decisions based on actual results/performance and not just hopes and dreams. The Expansion Draft is a good first test of that, we’ll see what Holland does.

I actually really like KoekKoek. I think he’s been a very steadying player on the backend for the first two games. No emotional attachment either lol. You’re trying to somehow make this personal, which you regularly do lol. You’re failing pretty bad.

I didn’t hyperbolize anything...he’s been let go by two teams...he’s played two good games for us. Sounds like you might be the one with the emotional attachment if simple numbers and facts offend you so much.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He's been great over the first two games. Amazing really. playing his role almost perfectly
I think that’s a big part of it. He’s playing his roll and not making things more complicated for himself. Jones has been pinching too much and it hasn’t helped that his partner - Larsson was our worst player in game one.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Would have been great to have Sekera around, back before he was injured. He would have made a great mentor for the Jones & Bears of today.

yep. Bear even mentioned that it was Sekera who he looked up to when it came to work ethic, training, and game preparation. Injuries sadly sent his oilers career sideways, but apparently Sekera was a real “professional” who teammates and coaches liked.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

That knee injury was devastating for the franchise but if Bouchard turns out to be the player the stats suggest he is it may have a hell of a silver lining. Sekera would have been a great signing if not for that injury.

Reactions: Oilhawks

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
4k, Jones, Russell, Barrie, and even Larsson are all bottom 3. Without Klefbom we only have 2 top 3 defenseman. Nurse and Bear our only top 3.

When did talking about top 3 defencemen become a thing? Helluva big difference between a 4D and a 5/6/7 D.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Remember when Koekkoek was the 'meh' signing of the offseason to most fans?

TuKf61l.jpg

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Hawks fan here coming in peace...how has Koekkoek been playing for you guys? I liked him when he was in Chicago. He happened to get run out of town by the high end D prospects the Hawks have.

Slater’s been one of the brighter spots and the best of the new guys (not counting the return of Puljujarvi).

I’m hoping they look at an extension for a couple of years since he looks like he can move up to 2nd pair when needed.

Reactions: RattsSSV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->