Player Discussion Koekkoek for Slater

AsparaGus

Feb 16, 2020
Best defenseman on the Oilers so far this season. Rock solid. Sign this man for 5 years 2.5 M per season while you still have a chance.

Reactions: gordonhught

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He’s actually been the best of this year’s FA signings so far. It’s crazy but imagine where the D would be without this guy that we signed just a few weeks ago...

Reactions: Handyfootwork

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Hope he continues to improve and re-signs here. Oilers desperately need a “found money” type of player. It seems every other team gets one.

OfCorsiDid

Ah shit, here we go again
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
So far, he's been reliable in his end and when he jumps into the O-zone, he's been very useful.

Great signing.
7EA13097-1548-4F5B-834F-8B4905DA914F.jpeg

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
These are the type of signing successful teams do. You dont need to spend big $ and long term deal for the flash in the pan type free agents.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I dont like the pairing but Koekkoek as an individual has been great.
Not worth protecting for expansion draft yet but pretty good.

Reactions: DropTheGloves

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I dont like the pairing but Koekkoek as an individual has been great.
Not worth protecting for expansion draft yet but pretty good.

I would protect him over Jones at this point tbh. He’s actually capable of helping this team today and should be cheap to re-sign if it continues.

Reactions: gordonhught

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I would hope he would be more important than that. I'm hoping for Steve Staios or even Charlie Huddy.

Man... Charlie Huddy was a beast...
Oh God, please not "ring it around the boards to get it out" Steve Staios!

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I would protect him over Jones at this point tbh. He’s actually capable of helping this team today and should be cheap to re-sign if it continues.

I think Jones has higher upside, but this year will be a good test to see if Jones is legit or not.

Also to note, SK is 26, drafted in 2012 and for a period of time his NHL future was in serious doubt, which is why Tampa moved on from him. If Jones can be an NHL caliber bottom pairing D this year, hell be pretty far ahead of SK at the same age.

I would personally pick upside of current play (if Jones does show upside over the course of this year). As guys like Koekkoek, career depth D, can be acquired fairly cheap.

Although, wont lose too much sleep if either gets picked in the expansion draft.

Reactions: ImmuneEH

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I would personally pick upside of current play (if Jones does show upside over the course of this year). As guys like Koekkoek, career depth D, can be acquired fairly cheap.

There’s still a lot of runway in front of Jones, sure, but the expansion draft is an immediate concern and as a (hopeful) contender we need to focus on the guys who are helping us win now. If Koekkoek solidifies himself as a low-end top four guy you need to keep that player over the mystery box, especially if he comes cheap. We have a ton of young left handed D coming up the ranks that losing a stalled-out Jones shouldn’t hurt us.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I'd hold off on the 'protect SK over Jones' rhetoric until we're at least more than halfway through the season. Two games have been played.

If we protect Jones and lose SK I think that's a win for us. We have Samorukov & Broberg in the pipeline, both are stellar LD prospects. Like another poster mentioned, Jones still has upside.

Reactions: CarlWising

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad