OT: Kobe Bryant Dead

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
It's hard to process something like this because it is just one of those situations where life says:

"look what I can do"

It's hard to process because a man that was so unstoppable, so darn successful, 3-4 daughters, doing all kinds of work, and then life just shows you it can end it at anytime, no matter who you are.

I think the only positive one can take from this is to go out and f***ing do what it is that you want to do, pursue your passions, follow your dreams, ask out that girl if you have to, because you never know when it will be too late.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
With planes you can glide and ride thermals. Choppers are basically a rock in the sky.

Godspeed Mr. Bryant.

Talking to a CH-149 Cormorant pilot, he stated that choppers without power, if high enough, can pitch the blades so the wind passing over them starts them to spin. Then with this rotation going, they reverse the pitch at the right moment which causes uplift and the chopper can be landed successfully. So they can sort of glide down if done correctly. Also, if low enough, they will absorb quite a lot of force. He stated the real danger point is being in-between these two points. From what I can understand, the Sikorsky S-76B has two engines with a main rotor hub with elastometric bearings that do not require any lubrication or any other kind of maintenance throughout its design lifetime. Reports from the wreckage suggest the rotors broke off from the transmission. There's over 1000 of these built, being used for all kinds of purposes. This isn't an expected event at all.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Kobe Bryant’s helicopter was flying in fog that local police deemed too dangerous

CALABASAS, Calif. (AP) — The helicopter carrying Kobe Bryant and eight others that crashed in the rugged hills outside Los Angeles was flying in foggy weather considered dangerous enough that local police departments had grounded their choppers.

The aircraft plunged into a steep hillside Sunday, scattering debris over an area the size of a football field and killing everyone aboard. The accident generated an outpouring of grief and shock around the world over the sudden loss of the all-time basketball great who spent his entire 20-year career with the Los Angeles Lakers.

Thousands of fans, many wearing Bryant jerseys and chanting his name, gathered outside the Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles, home of the Lakers and site of Sunday’s Grammy Awards, where Bryant was honored.

The 41-year-old Bryant, who perished with his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, was one of the game’s most popular players, an 18-time All-Star who helped lead the Lakers to five NBA championships.

The cause of the crash was unknown, but conditions at the time were such that the Los Angeles Police Department and the county sheriff’s department grounded their helicopters.

The Los Angeles County medical examiner, Dr. Jonathan Lucas, said the rugged terrain complicated efforts to recover the remains. He estimated it would take at least a couple of days to complete the task.

The Sikorsky S-76 went down in Calabasas, about 30 miles (48 kilometers) northwest of downtown Los Angeles. Authorities did not say where Bryant was going, but the helicopter appeared headed in the direction of his youth sports academy in nearby Thousand Oaks, which was holding a basketball tournament Sunday in which Bryant’s daughter, known as GiGi, was competing.

Bryant’s helicopter left Santa Ana in Orange County, south of Los Angeles, shortly after 9 a.m., heading north and then west. Air traffic controllers noted poor visibility around Burbank to the north and Van Nuys to the northwest. The aircraft crashed into the hillside around 9:45 a.m. at about 1,400 feet (426 meters), according to data from Flightradar24.

When it struck the ground, the helicopter was flying at about 160 knots (184 mph) and descending at a rate of more than 4,000 feet per minute, the data showed.

Federal safety investigators were sent to the scene. Among other things, they will look at the pilot’s history and the chopper’s maintenance records, said National Transportation Safety Board board member Jennifer Homendy.

Kurt Deetz, a pilot who used to fly Bryant in the chopper, said the crash was more likely caused by bad weather than by engine or other mechanical problems.

“The likelihood of a catastrophic twin engine failure on that aircraft — it just doesn’t happen,” he told the Los Angeles Times.

Justin Green, an aviation attorney in New York who flew helicopters in the Marine Corps, said pilots can become disoriented in low visibility, losing track of which direction is up. Green said a pilot flying an S-76 would be instrument-rated, meaning that person could fly the helicopter without relying on visual cues from outside.

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
Talking to a CH-149 Cormorant pilot, he stated that choppers without power, if high enough, can pitch the blades so the wind passing over them starts them to spin. Then with this rotation going, they reverse the pitch at the right moment which causes uplift and the chopper can be landed successfully. So they can sort of glide down if done correctly. Also, if low enough, they will absorb quite a lot of force. He stated the real danger point is being in-between these two points. From what I can understand, the Sikorsky S-76B has two engines with a main rotor hub with elastometric bearings that do not require any lubrication or any other kind of maintenance throughout its design lifetime. Reports from the wreckage suggest the rotors broke off from the transmission. There's over 1000 of these built, being used for all kinds of purposes. This isn't an expected event at all.

You talking about auto rotation? Would have been a tough maneuver to pull in that much fog.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
You talking about auto rotation? Would have been a tough maneuver to pull in that much fog.

I'm not going to pretend to be a helicopter expert... but from my experience (its pretty limited), whenever its foggy conditions, helicopters don't really operate. Perhaps the provinces I've worked in or the companies we were involved with have higher operating standards than they would in California??

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
RIP To all the victims in the crash as they are all just as important.

82869645_10157339165299790_4846885746180620288_n.jpg

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
It is a friggen tradgedy. RIP
I dont know anything about the acciedent other than there was either a catastrophic failure of the machine or pilot.

I would rather be in a helicopter than a fixed wing if it was a complete engine failure anyday of the week. Especially in that terrain. Very unlikely in that machine however.
If the pilot run in to IMC without proper training, then its on him.
There are a million things that could have gone wrong with the machine or pilot, it doesnt help those involved or their families but hopefully a thorough investigation will save more people in future.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It is a friggen tradgedy. RIP
I dont know anything about the acciedent other than there was either a catastrophic failure of the machine or pilot.

I would rather be in a helicopter than a fixed wing if it was a complete engine failure anyday of the week. Especially in that terrain. Very unlikely in that machine however.
If the pilot run in to IMC without proper training, then its on him.
There are a million things that could have gone wrong with the machine or pilot, it doesnt help those involved or their families but hopefully a thorough investigation will save more people in future.

Heavy fog. LA police had grounded their helicopters. That helicopter is one that can be flown "blind" so I am guessing it will be pilot error. It is a shame that they risked the lives of 9 beautiful people in those conditions. RIP.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

A Sikorsky S-76B Helicopter (N72EX) performing flight from Santa Ana KSNA was transitioning to the west of Van Nuys KVNY along the 101 Freeway in very marginal weather when suddenly crashed in the area of Calabasas.

All 9 onboard have reportedly perished - the five-time NBA Champion Kobe Bryant and his daughter were passengers of that flight.

AUDIO SOURCE: www.liveatc.net

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
Heavy fog. LA police had grounded their helicopters. That helicopter is one that can be flown "blind" so I am guessing it will be pilot error. It is a shame that they risked the lives of 9 beautiful people in those conditions. RIP.

If weather conditions are the cause it is a real shame and yes on the PIC.
I have a few thousand hours steering angry palm trees in Nz and other parts of the world. It was part of our curriculum to have basic instrument flight and a night rating. Those ratings were not sufficient to fly into IMC by any means. Most commercial rotory pilots operate VFR meaning you have set metrological conditons to abide, by law.
Human factors eh.

Reactions: CelticDruid

Once

Jul 16, 2010
You grow up thinking the man is immortal and unstoppable. Reading that headline felt like a nightmare, I still am having a hard time accepting this.

Rest easy Mamba, GiGi, and the other 7 passengers. What a brutal start to this year/decade.

Reactions: LindrosLeafs88

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
:confused:
Thank you. I know this is a sports site, and various sports stations are well.. sports stations so the focus is on Kobe, but everyone else is just as important. Makes me sad there are three children who will never grow up now.
I’m truly sad for the young girls and their families. Can’t imagine how terrified they were when the helicopter was going down. It would be like something from an action movie except without the miraculous recovery. The thought of Kobe clutching his daughters hand and trying to calm her down while the chopper is struggling to stay airborne has shook me pretty much all day yesterday and today, especially with all those pictures being shown online of the two of them together. Tragic :cry:

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
TBH, I'm surprised that with all of the flights teams of all sports take that there hasn't been an even bigger tragedy by now.

Gives you a new appreciation of how far safety regs are taken. But they can never be perfect.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
If weather conditions are the cause it is a real shame and yes on the PIC.
I have a few thousand hours steering angry palm trees in Nz and other parts of the world. It was part of our curriculum to have basic instrument flight and a night rating. Those ratings were not sufficient to fly into IMC by any means. Most commercial rotory pilots operate VFR meaning you have set metrological conditons to abide, by law.
Human factors eh.
Swiss cheese principle. Been there and come close.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Been in a few cormorants. There are things you can do for sure. I'd rather take my chances on gliding.

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
Been in a few cormorants. There are things you can do for sure. I'd rather take my chances on gliding.

You do realize that in order to land from a glide in a fixed wing you require airspeed and a suffecient length, flat area in order to land. (Not ideal in hilly or mountainous terrain)
Helicopter can land at zero speed from a well executed auto rotation in the space of its own foot print and under sufficent rotor rpm to appear as if you landed under power.
Open the door and walk away and let the airtechs sort it out. :thumbu:

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
When the feed came up on my phone I literally had to read it twice, I was so shocked.

RIP to one of the greatest and most influential athletes of all time.

RIP to everyone else on board as well

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
TBH, I'm surprised that with all of the flights teams of all sports take that there hasn't been an even bigger tragedy by now.

Gives you a new appreciation of how far safety regs are taken. But they can never be perfect.

An entire hockey team parished...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
An entire hockey team parished...
Manchester United lost around like half of their team in the '50s. Payne Stewarts flight appears to have lost cabin pressure causing everyone to die. Thurman Munson, Corey Lidle, and Halladay crashed their planes, etc.

Air travel is very safe, it's just if something goes wrong, there is a high chance of significant fatalities.

Either way, this story is terrible, the saddest part in my eyes is two young teenagers had their lives cut dramatically short.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->