GDT: KNIGHTS OF GOLD @ HOUSE OF THE STORM

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Svech has 11 points in his last 20 games. Remember when he was playing at a point per game? I do and I think the key factor in that was he wasn’t playing with Jordan Staal. Please put Svech with a new center, he’s getting brought down. The kid is too talented he generates these chances and neither Staal or Foegele can do anything with it. Added Staal nor Foegele can set anything up for Svech either.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
In the end they were the better team, their last two goals just outclassed us. We gave an effort but they seemed to be the deeper and more talented team most of the game, other than our outbursts.

We started late too. We’re not good enough for that.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Svech has 11 points in his last 20 games. Remember when he was playing at a point per game? I do and I think the key factor in that was he wasn’t playing with Jordan Staal. Please put Svech with a new center, he’s getting brought down. The kid is too talented he generates these chances and neither Staal or Foegele can do anything with it. Added Staal nor Foegele can set anything up for Svech either.

Not that I disagree with the idea of line changes, but the biggest factor in Svechnikov's production decline is the PP. He had 14 PPPs in his first 31. In the last 20, he's put up just 1. That sample extends beyond Hamilton's injury. The shooting lanes he had coming down the left half wall early have disappeared.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Lately, RBA comes across as a little bewildered over what's happening with the team. When coupled with the current lines mumbo jumbo situation, it worries me that he could be losing a little of his confidence. If so, that can be a slippery slope. Maybe a little more continuity from both sides could help improve the situation.

There were some comments on the post-game that our team's demeanor is too"light"and fun oriented and doesn't take the job or preparation seriously enough. I saw similar comments after the NYE night off video was posted a few weeks back. Almost as if our brand is more about being fun and exciting and isn't focused enough on winning and results to truly be considered a contender. Not sure I agree but do think we lack a little bit of an edge sometimes.

Reactions: skipnjump

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Well, I still feel about what I felt at the end of the game, but I'm ready to step back and look big picture. I'm not throwing in the towel on the team yet. They played like garbage and the other team was on their game the whole night, and they still would have likely gotten at least a point if not for a poorly timed stick break and Aho not realizing they were actually recovering from that so well. That doesn't excuse any of the bad things we've been *****ing about, but it's something.

The good news is we've been in all of the last 4.5 games without Dougie, and should have had points in all of them. The bad news is we pissed away a minimum of a point against Columbus, gave an extra point to NYI, lost out on a point to an inferior Ducks team, and pissed away a minimum of a point tonight.

Not that it would be impossible to come back should we lose on Sunday, but it really feels like there's a lot riding on a big bounce back effort and result on Sunday. They need to take a look at the lines for sure, and while neither of the goalies is ideal, they might need to give Reimer a bit of run here maybe.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I really think that this team needs to make a move for a D. You can't run Edmundson out there on the first pair and expect good things. Same goes for Gardiner on the second pair.
I know that the organization likes their young players to take their time developing in other leagues, but this team needs at least another guy who can put the puck in the net. Svech playing with Staal and Foegele is borderline criminal.

Reactions: CandyCanes

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Team needs a shakeup. Good news is that they’re still in a playoff spot this morning; bad news is that they probably won’t be in that same spot tomorrow morning. But, a win tomorrow starts the flip flopping over all over again.

I think they could really use Bean, but I doubt he gets a chance in so tight a race. They could use a Lehner, but I’d that worth the price when the playoffs aren’t a sure thing. They could really use a Pageau, but again, is that worth it.

Some tough, tough decisions coming up. Either, go for it and try to build on last year at some expense of the future, or burn a good bit of the goodwill from last year and sell off TVR/Edmundson/Haula.

hurricanesfan66

Dec 22, 2018
Random thoughts from the game...

Noticed people saying the boobirds were coming out. No, that was the Vegas fans and 'Suuu'. Sounded like they were calling a d@#$ pig. Lots of them concentrated near us in 112, but that was about it.

No team toughness. Vegas seemed faster, obviously, but stronger too. They kind of just threw us around and we went out of our way to avoid hits/board battles.

Why can't we skate the puck out of our zone? We try little passes up the board and it takes us 2-3-4 times to get it close, but then teams swoop in and keep the zone. Easy play. Sign of lowered confidence?

Gardiner and Mrazek? I'd rather we give Ned and Bean a look. Could not be worse. I would just watch Gardiner at times and he is struggling for whatever reason.

How is Williams, the oldest guy, the guy out for half the season, the fastest, hard working guy on the team? Give him back his C.

Buffalo Brothers pickle chips were very soggy last night. That put the early damper on the game.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Random thoughts from the game...

Noticed people saying the boobirds were coming out. No, that was the Vegas fans and 'Suuu'. Sounded like they were calling a d@#$ pig. Lots of them concentrated near us in 112, but that was about it.

On the telecast we could hear boos at the end of the first as we were skating the puck up the ice to end the period. Might have been just a couple of fans that happened to be near the microphones.

the suuuu thing was heard as well. I don’t understand that but whatever floats their boat.

Reactions: hurricanesfan66

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I think Rod is a little too in love with players that remind him of himself. Martinook has no business playing alongside Aho and Turbo. At this point in his career, Staal has no business anchoring the Svechnikov line. I think Brindy has an expectation that everyone should be just like him and preps for every game just like he did and is in the same kind of shape that he was every year without realizing he was completely unique in his training regiment.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I thought all the effort problems would be magically solved by the greatest leader in the history of sports? Or does that just apply if he has a magic C on his jersey?

Man. You breezed through all the levels of snark -- from frustration to anger to bitterness -- all the way to epic-level troll faster than anybody I've ever seen.

3 stars

1- Marchy
2- Turbo
3- Stastny

Score a goal, get a star. I know nobody cares, but I do. The three stars should actually be players who played the best. Mark Stone and Reilly Smith were the two best players on the ice last night. Nate Schmidt was really good, too.

If you've got a tie game with less than 5 minutes left, you need to leave the game with at least a point. This team apparently doesn't understand that concept.

Generally, I'd agree with you. But in this case, we were extraordinarily lucky to even be in the conversation with five minutes to go. I don't think anybody is focusing on how that game ended. We got exactly what we deserved.

In the end they were the better team, their last two goals just outclassed us. We gave an effort but they seemed to be the deeper and more talented team most of the game, other than our outbursts.

Exactly. We got schooled in all areas. It doesn't happen often, but that's what it looks like to get dominated. The fact that we were tied late in the third is mind-boggling and a testament to the sheer force of will of Brindy and a handful of players who gave a damn.

We are flying through the space at enormous speed on a huge-ass rock, and yet no one falls off because it is such a huge-ass rock... I don't want to deal with whys. I want solace.

When you put it that way ... carry on.

Lately, RBA comes across as a little bewildered over what's happening with the team. When coupled with the current lines mumbo jumbo situation, it worries me that he could be losing a little of his confidence. If so, that can be a slippery slope. Maybe a little more continuity from both sides could help improve the situation.

There were some comments on the post-game that our team's demeanor is too"light"and fun oriented and doesn't take the job or preparation seriously enough. I saw similar comments after the NYE night off video was posted a few weeks back. Almost as if our brand is more about being fun and exciting and isn't focused enough on winning and results to truly be considered a contender. Not sure I agree but do think we lack a little bit of an edge sometimes.

We can (and I'm sure, will) debate the "whys," but this is a massive understatement. We lack *any* edge just about *all* the time.

No team toughness. Vegas seemed faster, obviously, but stronger too. They kind of just threw us around and we went out of our way to avoid hits/board battles.

I noticed this halfway through the first and it just got worse as the game went on. It felt kinda like a lopsided college basketball matchup to me. They were toying with us, knowing they could score whatever they needed to win. We got so little pressure on Subban, it's not even funny. We lost every 50-50 battle and looked bad doing it. We desperately need to upgrade some of our Dzingels, Niederreiters, Haulas and Wallmarks into somebody who can seek out and win a board battle.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Any team that plays as fast and hard as Vegas is going to eat Edmundson alive on the top pair. Includes most of the contenders in the East. He was visibly frustrated with how badly he was getting beaten every shift. The Canes have zero Cup chance without addressing that issue or Hamilton making a late season return.

hurricanesfan66

Dec 22, 2018
I noticed this halfway through the first and it just got worse as the game went on. It felt kinda like a lopsided college basketball matchup to me. They were toying with us, knowing they could score whatever they needed to win. We got so little pressure on Subban, it's not even funny. We lost every 50-50 battle and looked bad doing it. We desperately need to upgrade some of our Dzingels, Niederreiters, Haulas and Wallmarks into somebody who can seek out and win a board battle.

When we were clicking at the beginning of the season, I kinda feel like we had this a little more. Now whether it be work ethic, fear, or something else, most of them don't even try to win a board battle.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC

There is no excuse for a fly by night expansion team that was bribed draft picks to take lesser players to be better than this team. Its disgraceful.

Glad I sold my tix to this game and headed out to Breckenridge.

Reactions: bleedgreen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad