Knights (K)News

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
@Aurinko it's behind a paywall. I've summarized what was said. (AIUI, there are unlocked articles monthly.)

From another thread, hearing that this writer is TML-centric and does not really follow/understand the Western Conference teams.

He's strictly using the "players in-players out" statistic to determine rankings. He's not even looking at prospects who might make the NHL squad, nor pre-July 1 signings.

Reactions: Aurinko

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
By the numbers: Offseason grades for all 31 NHL teams

Athletic (paywall) pundit ranks teams on their off season moves (thus far).

Ranks VGK C+. Claims that Stasny cannot alone overcome loss of Perron, Neal, Sbisa.

Mere mention of Sbisa diminishes his argument. Both Neal and Perron knew probably the second they heard ofthe Tatar trade that one of them was being replaced, younger guy, shorter term, similar cap hit.

As I see it, Perron and Neal have been replaced by Stastny/Tatar, perhaps both will even be skating on the same line.

Holden can be seen as Sbisa’s replacement and an upgrade in my view, so this grade can probably be seen as a lazy effort.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
Yeah, I suspect you can't measure the development of a guy like Nosek, who showed well in the playoffs. Could he move up as high as the 2nd line? And Tuch has some upside that should bear fruit this season. If you look at it from an addition by subtraction view, then how they progress will tell the story of how our off season went.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Mere mention of Sbisa diminishes his argument. Both Neal and Perron knew probably the second they heard ofthe Tatar trade that one of them was being replaced, younger guy, shorter term, similar cap hit.

As I see it, Perron and Neal have been replaced by Stastny/Tatar, perhaps both will even be skating on the same line.

Holden can be seen as Sbisa’s replacement and an upgrade in my view, so this grade can probably be seen as a lazy effort.

I did already mention that Stastny is a far far better center than Perron. Neal has had a downward slope, he's stats in the last few years are exactly the same as Haula's. Haula is also over twice cheaper than Neal and imo is on an upward course. Tatar has had a slump, but could progress back and be at least as productive as Haula.

As long as I don't see a long and risky EK trade done, I have high expectations that these current changes won't be the reason, if the 2018-2019 season doesn't go as well as the first one.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Yeah, I suspect you can't measure the development of a guy like Nosek, who showed well in the playoffs. Could he move up as high as the 2nd line? And Tuch has some upside that should bear fruit this season. If you look at it from an addition by subtraction view, then how they progress will tell the story of how our off season went.
You can do that for every team. And for every team you can't measure the upcoming injuries, players who get worse, players who get better, unexpected surpries etc.

The article is just pointing out a simple "here's guys out/here's guys in" and what value those guys had last year according to a statistical model. The author isn't trying to say these teams are going to improve or decline this much because he's not trying to figure out prospects making the team, future trades, etc. And every single team has guys who will progress in their development and guys who will age or decline.

People get really defensive about things like this and I don't understand why. It's A tool. Use it or don't but to just dismiss what it says because you don't like it (and not trying to single out you, just the general response to the article).

Reactions: Aurinko

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
You can do that for every team. And for every team you can't measure the upcoming injuries, players who get worse, players who get better, unexpected surpries etc.

The article is just pointing out a simple "here's guys out/here's guys in" and what value those guys had last year according to a statistical model. The author isn't trying to say these teams are going to improve or decline this much because he's not trying to figure out prospects making the team, future trades, etc. And every single team has guys who will progress in their development and guys who will age or decline.

People get really defensive about things like this and I don't understand why. It's A tool. Use it or don't but to just dismiss what it says because you don't like it (and not trying to single out you, just the general response to the article).

It's just lazy and not that useful. Tools are supposed to be useful.

Sbisa is addition by subtraction no matter who replaces him.

Stastny is a 2C we needed who fills a lot of Perron's point total. Let alone that Perron likely will never reach those heights again.

Neal had 44 points and Tatar wasn't here a full season, he's like a new player for the purpose of this argument. He can easily get 45 points with a full year here.

That looks like a team that pretty much stayed put, and considering they were a few games away from a Cup win and other Western rivals haven't really gotten much better, they seem to be in a good position.

The biggest issue for Vegas will be possible player regressions and a possible "come down" from a very emotional first season. Not player personnel changes.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

Stastny is a 2C we needed who fills a lot of Perron's point total. Let alone that Perron likely will never reach those heights again.

Neal had 44 points and Tatar wasn't here a full season, he's like a new player for the purpose of this argument. He can easily get 45 points with a full year here.

That looks like a team that pretty much stayed put, and considering they were a few games away from a Cup win and other Western rivals haven't really gotten much better, they seem to be in a good position.

The biggest issue for Vegas will be possible player regressions and a possible "come down" from a very emotional first season. Not player personnel changes.

We're stacked with fast players who are each individually at least average in 2-way game. We have players to spare, have space for trades and the team is exciting.

Unless proven otherwise, this seems like a good team to me :)

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Honest question- Did you read the whole article? Because I think if you did you wouldn't assume the author is saying what you think he's saying.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Honest question- Did you read the whole article? Because I think if you did you wouldn't assume the author is saying what you think he's saying.

No. I was responding to your summation of it. Guys in and guys out, is useless without context and not a very good tool for anything or, really, an article worth reading.

Furthermore, by "grading" each team they've set up a useless analysis.

How do you "grade" any team with no baseline from which to grade them from? The whole premise is false because the author has no clue what teams were or were not able to do.

Does the author have inside knowledge of every FA, to know what teams actually had the ability to sign them? Then how could they possibly know how to grade them?

Even in a vacuum, free from those issues, there is the issue of players performing year to year or what young players teams have to replace them.

As a tool, one that only uses statistics based on who came in and who left (and, judging by not including Tatar as a guy in, falsely treats it as if he were here the whole year for the purposes of the article) it is woefully useless.

When you add on "grading" and "ranking" any team's offseason, it becomes doubly useless.

I understand why it was written, dog days of summer with nothing really going on for a hockey writer who needs an article (no matter how useless the info) that will get hockey fanbases worked up, and at the same time giving the writer the clicks they need to keep those numbers up during the slow part of the year.

But that's clickbait, even behind a paywall (as the individual writers at The Athletic certainly still have to worry about the number of clicks they get, regardless of the company's subscription based model)

EDIT: This isn't meant to come off as combative to you, just to state my disdain for articles like this. A simple statistical analysis of players gone and coming in is fine, if still less useful, but to grade and rank teams is just trying to drive up the click count.

Last edited:

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
I did already mention that Stastny is a far far better center than Perron. Neal has had a downward slope, he's stats in the last few years are exactly the same as Haula's. Haula is also over twice cheaper than Neal and imo is on an upward course. Tatar has had a slump, but could progress back and be at least as productive as Haula.

Agreed, although Tatar needs to demonstrate he can play Turk's style of hockey and win that ice time.

Not paying Neal was huge though. Very shrewd by McPhee to avoid that and within a couple years Calgary is going to regret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad