Knights (K)News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
Multicultural Golden Knights feature strong French influence

Language bringing team together. Especially tri-lingual Bellmare.

Interesting article. Here are two sections of the article that I found interesting:

Golden Knights’ French-speaking players
— Pierre-Edouard Bellemare (Le Blanc-Mesnil, France)
— William Carrier (LaSalle, Quebec)
— Marc-Andre Fleury (Sorel, Quebec)
— Maxime Lagace (Saint-Augustin, Quebec)
— Jonathan Marchessault (Cap-Rouge, Quebec)
— David Perron (Sherbrooke, Quebec)

While Quebec is famous for producing some of hockey’s greatest players, the decrease of Quebecois players in the NHL over the past two decades has been well documented.

I was reading on the Habs boards about the decreased hockey participation in Quebec. There were many theories proposed explaining this, including increased expense to play, demographic changes from immigration, and changing tastes.

Also suggested was the impact of global warming affecting the availability of outdoor ice rinks. Maybe, but I guess Leafs star Auston Matthews (from frigid Arizona) missed the memo.

I feel that the changing hockey demographics may partially have something to do with the growing impact of American College hockey on the NHL. Look at the Pens Stanley Cup 2016-17 roster:

2016–17 Pittsburgh Penguins season - Wikipedia

Almost half the players were Americans who played American college hockey. Their coach, Mike Sullivan, was also an American who played college hockey.

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The 20th century had titans of French heritage battling for supremacy:

Roy vs. Hasek
Lemieux vs. Gretzky
Lafleur vs. Clarke
Beliveau vs. Kennedy
Richard vs. Howe

The 21st century?

Er,... Martin St. Louis won the Hart in 2004... that's about it.

As for Vegas, Perron has been essential to the team's success, Fleury for a couple of games was, Bellemare may be the unsung hero as a penalty killer and Carrier is a quality 4th line role player, a real banger, and Lagace is, well, the backup to the backup of our backup, so he's doin' pretty well in that role. Oh, almost forgot about Marchessault, a guy who has been inconsistent, but promising.

Here's 29-year-old David Perron, the Knights TOP SCORER with 14 points in 16 games, including two game winners and 31 hits, trailing only Carrier as a guy who finishes his checks, 2nd in ice time among forwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevada Jones

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Lest we forget, Perron also converted VGK's first penalty shot :thumbu:
Before the expansion draft, when I heard Billionaire BIll speak of a work ethic he wanted his team to have, I immediately thought the team ain't passing on Perron and Eakin. Full stop.

Perron also had the most shots (5) in the Knights' first ever regular season game (the 2-1 win against the Stars in Dallas), and all around solid play in 20:03 minutes of action (multiple hits, a couple of takeaways, in the thick of things) earning him a 3rd star in my books back then behind Neal's two goals and Fleury's 45 saves.

If there isn't a decent offer for him at the trade deadline then woe to the other teams (the censored way to say it) as he half-assures us a playoff game win in the first round otherwise.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The Vegas Golden Knights Foundation Gala Raises More Than $775k for The Folded Flag Foundation and Other Southern Nevada Military Charities

The Vegas Golden Knights Foundation, a non-profit organization that serves as the primary charitable link between the Vegas Golden Knights hockey team and the Las Vegas community, held its inaugural Salute to Service Gala on Saturday, Nov. 11, 2017. The gala raised more than $775,000 for The Folded Flag Foundation and other Southern Nevada military and first responder non-profits.

Nice.

(Press release dated 12/13. Wonder why the delay -- perhaps a final accounting waiting for vendor bills for the gala and $$ collected from donors.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad