GDT: Knights (37-24-8) 82 pts @ Calgary (36-26-7) 79 pts, SN, Fan960

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Unpopular opinion but I would trade Tkachuk for a center

Unless we get an Eichel type centre back I’m not interested in moving him.

that being said, I think it’s a good idea to package Monahan+ for a number one centre this summer. Not that having a perennial 30 goal scorer is bad, it’s just that Monahan isn’t someone you win the cup with as a 1C.

Reactions: viper0220

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Just a unfortunate result, the coaching on this team is starting to piss me off, call a time out you doofus.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015

that being said, I think it’s a good idea to package Monahan+ for a number one centre this summer. Not that having a perennial 30 goal scorer is bad, it’s just that Monahan isn’t someone you win the cup with as a 1C.
Oh definitely, it'd have to be for a big-name center. But I just can't shake this feeling that he's going to age like Corey Perry by the time he hits 28-29

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Unpopular opinion but I would trade Tkachuk for a center

Than you just f***ed this team up because Tkachuk is the only player that gives a shit, if you trade Tkachuk, than you begin your rebuild 2-3 years after.

I do agree with you, we need a upgrade on the center position because Monahan is utterly useless, he can't make plays in the offense zone, can't play defence in the defense zone, the only thing he is good at is shooting and the shooting part only works when he fed the puck like a baby is fed baby food.

f***.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

This pretty much. Great guy, good scorer, but is he a #1 C on a perenial contender? Not according to rankings year after year. But I'd only get rid of him for an upgrade and probably as part of a package for that #1 C. I do like him, just saying.

Reactions: viper0220

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
This pretty much. Great guy, good scorer, but is he a #1 C on a perenial contender? Not according to rankings year after year. But I'd only get rid of him for an upgrade and probably as part of a package for that #1 C. I do like him, just saying.

I would package Monahan in a package that includes good pieces, another team might bite.

Also nothing against the women but this all women broadcast sucked.

Reactions: Tofveve

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I would trade Monahan for a winger and put Bennett at center like we should have done FIVE years ago
The current coaching staff/management doesn't think Bennett can replace Janko for the 4th line center or Ryan for the 3rd line. You should give up that idea or start the fire the coach and gm petition.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Monahan really really slumping rn. The fact he only holds a 3 pt lead over backs is concerning...

Idk, team has fallen behind 3 times at home only to have to go beast mode to come back. The “system” is really starting to bother me.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Monahan really really slumping rn. The fact he only holds a 3 pt lead over backs is concerning...

Idk, team has fallen behind 3 times at home only to have to go beast mode to come back. The “system” is really starting to bother me.

Honestly, Monahan outside of shooting just isn't that good. He's alright at everything else, but you can't have that in a 1C. You watch other top C's and you just get blown away by how much they dictate play, while Monahan glides around waiting for a pass in the slot. At least Johnny is starting to learn and get better.. Monahan might actually be a lost cause though and he is what he is.

Reactions: Dack and viper0220

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
You have to ride Talbot now. Not sure what is up with Rittich, but he either can't handle the workload or he's just not mentally ready. He started to go down here around the same time last year..
Looks like his upside is Brian Elliot
BT needs to stop f***ing around and get a real goalie

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Honestly, Monahan outside of shooting just isn't that good. He's alright at everything else, but you can't have that in a 1C. You watch other top C's and you just get blown away by how much they dictate play, while Monahan glides around waiting for a pass in the slot. At least Johnny is starting to learn and get better.. Monahan might actually be a lost cause though and he is what he is.

Maybe he should’ve lost some weight and worked on his skating just a touch instead of working on some bs physicality and getting tuffer.

And before anyone says it’s not possible, just look at Bo Horvat in Vancouver as an example. Guy looked like he was in lead boots the first couple years, and yet now he is greatly improved in that regard.

I fear the day we have to see Monahan without Johnny Gaudreau...

Reactions: Gettin Iggy With It
Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Maybe he should’ve lost some weight and worked on his skating just a touch instead of working on some bs physicality and getting tuffer.

And before anyone says it’s not possible, just look at Bo Horvat in Vancouver as an example. Guy looked like he was in lead boots the first couple years, and yet now he is greatly improved in that regard.

I fear the day we have to see Monahan without Johnny Gaudreau...

It's crazy these guys are paid millions and they don't try and get better at literally the most important thing. Both him and MT, really need a summer with skating coaches, but Monahan is the slowest guy on the ice a lot of times and it just kills the transition game.

Reactions: NinjaTurtle

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
Looks like his upside is Brian Elliot
BT needs to stop f***ing around and get a real goalie

But who is there to target realistically? Lehner is the only clear upgrade in the free agent market and outside of his mental health, something else seems to be up to play on 4 teams in less than 3 years.

Take a chance on a Stanley Cup winner in Holtby who has looked off for 2 seasons and is expecting #1 money and term? Could be the biggest UFA mistake this summer.

Make a splash for Murray/Jarry?

Pipe dream: Anaheim blows everything up and we give a king’s ransom for Gibson.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Rittich doesn't seem to have much confidence at the moment. But he'll figure it out eventually. And while he wasn't great tonight, hard to completely pin this on him given how poor the rest of the team was. Well, everyone except Lucic and Backlund really.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I wasn't able to watch, but despite how Rittich played this still should've been Talbot's game to start unless he's conked. Rittich has suffered against the Knights and at home so putting him in there doesnt add up. Let him play against the Islanders after the 4 day break. I dont get Ward or any of his management ideas.

Reactions: NinjaTurtle

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Not sure why there is a fixation on goaltending in this one. The Flames allowed goals during periods of play where they were getting beat all over the ice and were unable to generate any offence. Rittich made saves which allowed them to get the game tied late. Once again, the Flames went to pieces and spent the rest of the game on their heels, inviting the bad bounce that inevitably finished them off.

The Flames can play a lot better than they did tonight. If they do, our goalies will be fine.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Not sure why there is a fixation on goaltending in this one. The Flames allowed goals during periods of play where they were getting beat all over the ice and were unable to generate any offence. Rittich made saves which allowed them to get the game tied late. Once again, the Flames went to pieces and spent the rest of the game on their heels, inviting the bad bounce that inevitably finished them off.

The Flames can play a lot better than they did tonight. If they do, our goalies will be fine.

Rittich is fighting everything atm. I can't count how many times he was horribly positioned or over reacted on a play. The confidence that was there early in the season has been replaced by doubts. I am not saying Rittich is done..I am saying however he could use some time to clean up his game, his positioning, and his mind so that he is ABLE to be everything he was earlier in the playoffs.

There was a reason Tre signed a competent back-up to share starts.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019

I didn't catch the game and after I saw this comment I went ahead and watched the goals. I can't put any one of those on Rittich. With the amount of focus on Rittich not being good I figured maybe the go ahead goal was on him but no, that's an unlucky bounce. I don't get it one bit. Of course I would've preferred Talbot and still think Ward should've gone with that, but this game is not on Rittich's back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad