Knee Discomfort From Squats

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I did some heavy squats recently, but I wasn't back far enough on my heels, so now I have a very mild pain in my knees

It's been a couple of weeks since my last leg day, but I continue to feel discomfort in my knees after walking my dog or if I keep them bent for prolonged periods of time

Any idea what I might be dealing with?

And what should I do to help speed up the healing process?

EDIT

In doing more research today, I think it's one of these injuries:

http://www.knee-pain-explained.com/iliotibial-band-syndrome.html

http://www.knee-pain-explained.com/runners-knee.html

I'm not entirely certain which, but I'm leaning towards it being the first one

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
As always - recommended see your primary care physician and possible referral to an ortho. That's step #1.

I would stay away from squats as something in your form is causing a lot if stress on them. Start wearing something like KT tape throughout the day for support and maybe a brace or sleeve when you are working out. I highly recommend KT tape because it does help stabilize and is easy to use. Especially when it's a knee. Do other rehab-type movements to stretch and also elevate at night. If it persists, I cannot stress enough to seek professional help from a specialized doctor. They are trained for this.

I also would recommend building around the knee when it starts to feel better. Get back to lunges and other leg movements other than squats. Build the knee up a little. Rehab while working out.

Once again - not a doctor. Just a few suggestions from a fellow bro-lifter.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Thanks for the response, but I already know it's something with my form

I was pushing with the balls of my feet rather than pushing through my heels

What I'm hoping for is someone can tell me what my injury is and how best to go about recovering

It must be quite common, I would think

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
It's hard to suggest what it might be without having actually seen what you were doing, that's the issue.
And most of the 'injuries' we might name out are relatively broad spectrum names which have all the same basic treatments... Ice it when it's acute, heat and light stretching (never pull into pain), try significantly reduced weight with proper form, and see primary care types like physio to help it out if it's going for several weeks without improvement

Oct 18, 2011
your form may very well be fine but the weight was just too much...talk to a trainer at the gym and just ask them to watch you do them for a set or something and they can tell you if your form is indeed good, or if it needs work.

in the meantime as long as you feel discomfort i would not push it at all without talking to a doctor first. the last thing you want is to take all the hard work you've done, and set yourself back even further by making it worse

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
i switched to using the smith machine after that happened to my knee. keeps it more stable and i still get a decent leg workout from it.

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Try rolling out / active release on your IT bands adductors etc. I used to get this but lots of the time it was because I was tight which inflamed my knee when squatting

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Another thing I would mention is ... when someone says squats, its generally meant as the bar is on your shoulders.

Consider front squats. I have been doing them for years and for me, they are much better (I have a bad back). The pressure of the bar on my shoulders just kills my lower back. With it on the front, I dont have any pain.

Now Ive never had knee pain so I'm not sure how this changes anything. But, with a wide stance and the bar up front, its a lot easier to get that weight onto your heels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad