Klingberg vs Heiskanen

If today you had to choose one of these guys for the next 12 years, the other never existed, who u t

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Klingberg is an elite scoring Defenseman.

Heiskanen is an elite prospect with #1 dman potential.

If you had to choose one of these dmen moving forward for 12 years...and the other just vanishes (no trading them), who would you take?

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
People are taking Klingberg over Heiskanen? Crazy.

I put klingberg, but I honestly am 50/50. Heiskanen is one of the best defensive prospects in the past 10 years, but I mean, klingberg just finished 2nd in scoring for NHL dmen, which is elite too.

Reactions: Pure

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
i know heiskanen is a great prospect but people seem to realy be counting their chickens before the eggs hatch. Klingberg is already one of the best dmen in the league. The upside with taking Heiskanen is a dman who is slightly higher on league rankings (not that you can get all that much higher) and the downside is discovering that something about Heiskanen doesnt work as well in the NHL as it seems like he should.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Klingberg is a top 10 defender right now and most likely will be for another decade.

If Heiskanen becomes that, we should be very happy.

Klingberg easily, until Heiskanen actually proves that his potential is legitimate.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Head says Klingberg, heart says Heiskanen. I gotta pick Miro - I've even been tempted to commit a jersey faux pas and have his name put on my currently unadorned '94 black jersey.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Klingberg is a top 10 defender right now and most likely will be for another decade.

If Heiskanen becomes that, we should be very happy.

Klingberg easily, until Heiskanen actually proves that his potential is legitimate.

Klingberg is 26. Do you think he maintains this level of play until he's 36?

He's a terrific player. Top 5 defenseman in the league. I find it hard to project Miro to be better than Klingberg's peak. I'd love for it to happen though.

Reactions: Finnish your Czech

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Klingberg is 26. Do you think he maintains this level of play until he's 36?

He's a terrific player. Top 5 defenseman in the league. I find it hard to project Miro to be better than Klingberg's peak. I'd love for it to happen though.

That might be a bit of an exaggeration, but his style definitely translates to one of long-term success.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
For 12 years, I take Heiskanen. I feel like he plays a more well-rounded game. Klingberg has improved greatly defensively, but I think Heiskanen has better hockey sense, whereas Klingberg is more offensive minded.

Those who say “Take Klingberg” because he’s proven do make a salient point, however. If you’re a GM, betting on futures can hurt job security. That said, Heiskanen, so far, has done everything to suggest he’s worth the risk.

Reactions: LAINEC

northstars

May 11, 2016
Saskatchewan
Heiskanen has had some injury issues so I'm starting to get the feeling he's injury prone. Lets see how he holds up under a 82 game season in the best hockey league in the world.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Reminds me of the movie "Sophie's Choice" although this one is far more traumatic....not. But, we hope we don't have to choose, don't want to choose, etc.

Find my gut says Klingberg. We know what he can do, and he is flashier with great moves and passes. Miro is solid in so many ways, but yet to be seen if it translates to NHL.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
He would be top pair on every team but NSH. Maybe a few others. He is elite, IMHO, but probably not generational, if you are willing to accept that distinction. Some think Miro can be generational, but I doubt he becomes as good as say, Zubov. much less Orr, Pronger, Stevens, etc. and other Hall of Famers.

Time will tell, of course.

Arkham32

Nov 9, 2012
If Miro becomes the #1 dman we expect him to become, I take Miro, A dman that can eat 25+ minutes a game in the playoffs and be your go to guy on the PP and PK are very rare.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I'd consider about five guys in the league (defenders) to be Elite.. but I also understand that everyone has different classification/distinction of what "Elite" is. Just like everyone has a different take on "Generational" because there are like 10 Generational players in the league right now according to some people in past threads on these boards (main boards).

The main reason why I can't consider Klingberg Elite is because of his play in his own zone, you need to be high-high end in all three zones to be considered Elite in my eyes. His defending has got a lot better.. but it's still nothing amazing.

In his third season in Dallas Miro will be a better player than Klingberg in my opinion.

*Edit, I also want to clarify that the poll said 12 years who would you rather which is another reason I would take Heiskanen (and was surprised others didn't) as Klingberg will be pushing 30 for over half the time.

Last edited:

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I'd consider about five guys in the league (defenders) to be Elite.. but I also understand that everyone has different classification/distinction of what "Elite" is. Just like everyone has a different take on "Generational" because there are like 10 Generational players in the league right now according to some people in past threads on these boards (main boards).

The main reason why I can't consider Klingberg Elite is because of his play in his own zone, you need to be high-high end in all three zones to be considered Elite in my eyes. His defending has got a lot better.. but it's still nothing amazing.

In his third season in Dallas Miro will be a better player than Klingberg in my opinion.

*Edit, I also want to clarify that the poll said 12 years who would you rather which is another reason I would take Heiskanen (and was surprised others didn't) as Klingberg will be pushing 30 for over half the time.

I really should have made the poll 7 years. It would have taken klingberg to 33 and been the entire time heiskanen is guaranteed to be under team control.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
Looks like I just broke the tie in a crazy close poll. Really good question obviously OP.

I just think you gotta take the guy you know is bordering on elite. Kling oozes hockey sense and is exactly what the Stars have needed on the point since Zubov has been gone.

Klinger has skills you can't teach, like his footwork and walking the blueline getting pucks through. Miro is more text book style game and how you'd try to teach a defender to play. Kling could probably learn a thing or two on the defending side of things from Miro. But does Miro possess those offensive skills on a level with Kling, or can he learn them to continue to develop to the level of an elite offensive/2way defender at the NHL level?

Tomorrow I might take Miro if I had to choose again.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
Head says Klingberg, heart says Heiskanen. I gotta pick Miro - I've even been tempted to commit a jersey faux pas and have his name put on my currently unadorned '94 black jersey.

I love Miro as much as the next fan on here, but please don't do that to a great old jersey. Is it authentic? If it is definitely don't do it, just sell it to me please!

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
I love Miro as much as the next fan on here, but please don't do that to a great old jersey. Is it authentic? If it is definitely don't do it, just sell it to me please!

Heh, I was mostly joking (mostly...). It's not authentic with the fight strap and such, but it's one of the official Maska/CCM replicas from that time. I'd have put Zubov on it years ago, but he never played in the '93-'94 style, even though it's close enough I bet most fans would never even notice.

I got it while I was in high school, so the big names like Modano and Hatcher just wouldn't do - gotta pick less popular options ;). I thought about Broten for a while (two for the price of one!), but I really should probably just do Churla - his antics made those regular season dead-puck-era games watchable once a team got up by a couple of goals. Plus, wearing a Churla jersey makes you instant friends with most old-time fans :D.

Of course, the real challenge at this point would be finding someone who still has access to the correct letters and numbers for that style jersey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad