NFL: Kliff Kingsbury to be named Cardinals next HC

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Seems like the appeal here is all the QB’s he worked with when they were in college. Keenum, Manziel, Mahones, Mayfield among them.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
When you average 14 points per game and have a -200 point differential..you can't go back to what you were doing. Still need to fire Steve Keim.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Lol you really don't watch football do you? McVay is an NFL lifer. Started coaching right after college where he played wide receiver. I guess he'd have more credibility if he was a fat ass like Rex Ryan in your eyes.

To be fair if you looked at a guy like Julian Edelman on the street he woulsn't look like a football guy either. But these type of WRs aren't the norm. Most of them have some size in height or body. It's not hard to get a job out of college, a lot of guys get graduate assistant jobs. Not that I think either job is an impressive get, they are resume padders. I didn't look up his college but I bet it was a small school where the demand for the job wasn't high.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
To be fair if you looked at a guy like Julian Edelman on the street he woulsn't look like a football guy either. But these type of WRs aren't the norm. Most of them have some size in height or body. It's not hard to get a job out of college, a lot of guys get graduate assistant jobs. Not that I think either job is an impressive get, they are resume padders. I didn't look up his college but I bet it was a small school where the demand for the job wasn't high.

He left Miami of Ohio after playing WR and got a job with the Bucs when Jon Gruden was there. You should stop doubling down on stupid.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
He left Miami of Ohio after playing WR and got a job with the Bucs when Jon Gruden was there. You should stop doubling down on stupid.

And he was a quarterback in high school. So good at the position that he won the state of Georgia's best player over some dude named Calvin Johnson.

Not to mention that his friggin' grandfather was John McVay. You know, the guy who launched the 49ers' dynasty in the 80s/early 90s with Bill Walsh.

Sean McVay is pretty much football royalty.

Reactions: HFBCommenter

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
And he was a quarterback in high school. So good at the position that he won the state of Georgia's best player over some dude named Calvin Johnson.

Not to mention that his friggin' grandfather was John McVay. You know, the guy who launched the 49ers' dynasty in the 80s/early 90s with Bill Walsh.

Sean McVay is pretty much football royalty.

Yawn, without having Montana that dynasty doesn't happen.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Yawn, without having Montana that dynasty doesn't happen.

Oh, for God's sake...who do you think drafted Montana and Steve Young? John McVay. This is coming from a Rams fan.

And we're getting way off topic. People want to find the next McVay because this is an era of offense. And when it comes to offensive minds, McVay is arguably the best. Kingsbury is an offensive mind (at least, I think he might be, although I could always be wrong.)

With the new rules benefitting offense, "McVay ball," as you call it, isn't going to die out any time soon.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Oh, for God's sake...who do you think drafted Montana and Steve Young? John McVay. This is coming from a Rams fan.

And we're getting way off topic. People want to find the next McVay because this is an era of offense. And when it comes to offensive minds, McVay is arguably the best. Kingsbury is an offensive mind (at least, I think he might be, although I could always be wrong.)

With the new rules benefitting offense, "McVay ball," as you call it, isn't going to die out any time soon.

Drafts are mostly luck. I wasn't alive for that draft and I know this wasn't the 83 draft but two things either happened, they had a bad record and were like #1 and he fell in their lap or teams ahead of them whiffed. Drafts get overhyped though. Smart people draft on need, not best name available. So you'd have to go back to that time, look at the teams and their perspective needs.

McVay is the most overhyped thing since Rhonda Rousey. Without Gurley the whole thing doesn't work. Goff is nothing without Gurley. McVay might pan out over a long period, he may not though. They've won nothing yet. A loss Saturday would cool that conversation.

Seattle may be on the bounce back. The Niners with Jimmy G can probably challenge them.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Drafts are mostly luck. I wasn't alive for that draft and I know this wasn't the 83 draft but two things either happened, they had a bad record and were like #1 and he fell in their lap or teams ahead of them whiffed. Drafts get overhyped though. Smart people draft on need, not best name available. So you'd have to go back to that time, look at the teams and their perspective needs.

McVay is the most overhyped thing since Rhonda Rousey. Without Gurley the whole thing doesn't work. Goff is nothing without Gurley. McVay might pan out over a long period, he may not though. They've won nothing yet. A loss Saturday would cool that conversation.

Seattle may be on the bounce back. The Niners with Jimmy G can probably challenge them.

Do you...even know football?

Montana was a third round pick out of Notre Dame. People thought that he didn't have a strong enough arm. Bill Walsh ran a West Coast offense (same offense that McVay runs, by the way), and looked at the huge football IQ that Montana had.

Steve Young was a quarterback who was selected in the Supplemental draft by the Buccaneers, and John McVay saw enough in him to trade a second and fourth round pick for him. Either way, they were an amazing group, Walsh and McVay.

As for Sean McVay not being able to make things work without Gurley...what do you say about the last two games with C.J. Anderson? What about the consistently good play by Goff (including, shocker, two games where he had an excellent passer rating against teams when Anderson was playing?)

Sean McVay runs a ton of play-action out of mostly 11 personnel (that's three wide receivers, a tight end, and a running back to those who aren't familiar), but also uses a ton of motion before the snap to confuse defenses. He runs a ton of different looks out of 11 personnel that all look the same. That's why he's been so successful; he can run anything at any time. And that's not even getting into other formations like 12 personnel (two receivers, two tight ends, and a running back; paying attention yet?) that he also has different plays that he runs.

Point being, even without Gurley, the Rams would have the same amount of success. Goff is a top ten quarterback with the potential to be top five. Gurley is arguably the best running back in the NFL, but it's not just him that makes McVay's offense look good. They have a solid offensive line, good receivers who know how to run routes, tight ends who can block and receive, and - of course - Aaron Donald and co. on defense.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

Montana was a third round pick out of Notre Dame. People thought that he didn't have a strong enough arm. Bill Walsh ran a West Coast offense (same offense that McVay runs, by the way), and looked at the huge football IQ that Montana had.

Steve Young was a quarterback who was selected in the Supplemental draft by the Buccaneers, and John McVay saw enough in him to trade a second and fourth round pick for him. Either way, they were an amazing group, Walsh and McVay.

As for Sean McVay not being able to make things work without Gurley...what do you say about the last two games with C.J. Anderson? What about the consistently good play by Goff (including, shocker, two games where he had an excellent passer rating against teams when Anderson was playing?)

Sean McVay runs a ton of play-action out of mostly 11 personnel (that's three wide receivers, a tight end, and a running back to those who aren't familiar), but also uses a ton of motion before the snap to confuse defenses. He runs a ton of different looks out of 11 personnel that all look the same. That's why he's been so successful; he can run anything at any time. And that's not even getting into other formations like 12 personnel (two receivers, two tight ends, and a running back; paying attention yet?) that he also has different plays that he runs.

Point being, even without Gurley, the Rams would have the same amount of success. Goff is a top ten quarterback with the potential to be top five. Gurley is arguably the best running back in the NFL, but it's not just him that makes McVay's offense look good. They have a solid offensive line, good receivers who know how to run routes, tight ends who can block and receive, and - of course - Aaron Donald and co. on defense.

I don't care about history in any aspect. So I don't study it, not even in sports and when it comes to the drafts I don't even care about them in the present, I have no idea how people can watch them honestly. They take forever.

It's not like Arizona and the 69ers are exactly good teams. Their season's were over. Sure you can say but they could have played spoilers in costing them a bye. But in the era of buddy buddy and social media I just don't buy into that stuff or rivalries anumore. Not that either team was capable really. Maybe if the game was in SF they could have had a decent chance.

They SUCK at run defense which is the most important part of defense, especially for a team like Dallas that needs the run to make Dak have a fighting chance. Dak is not a good pocket passer, he's most effective when he can scramble. If the rams can't stop their run game it will open up the run or pass option for Dak.

Goff was horrible his rookie year and maybe in the past that wouldn't be a big deal but in today's game where it seems like if these young guys don't perform its a surprise. I think he's a system guy who is fortunate in all the weapons he has. It doesn't hurt most of the league now sucks at tackling and defense. He has struggled a fair amount and against real defenses without Kupp. I do think he needs things to be "just perfect" to be truly effective.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I don't care about history in any aspect. So I don't study it, not even in sports and when it comes to the drafts I don't even care about them in the present, I have no idea how people can watch them honestly. They take forever.

It's not like Arizona and the 69ers are exactly good teams. Their season's were over. Sure you can say but they could have played spoilers in costing them a bye. But in the era of buddy buddy and social media I just don't buy into that stuff or rivalries anumore. Not that either team was capable really. Maybe if the game was in SF they could have had a decent chance.

They SUCK at run defense which is the most important part of defense, especially for a team like Dallas that needs the run to make Dak have a fighting chance. Dak is not a good pocket passer, he's most effective when he can scramble. If the rams can't stop their run game it will open up the run or pass option for Dak.

Goff was horrible his rookie year and maybe in the past that wouldn't be a big deal but in today's game where it seems like if these young guys don't perform its a surprise. I think he's a system guy who is fortunate in all the weapons he has. It doesn't hurt most of the league now sucks at tackling and defense. He has struggled a fair amount and against real defenses without Kupp. I do think he needs things to be "just perfect" to be truly effective.

Well, dear God, if you don't care about history, then why quote it to me with how the Niners got Montana and Young? My mistake. I apologize profusely for arguing facts with someone who doesn't care.

They're still NFL teams. You can only beat the teams in front of you, no matter how good or bad they are. And Goff beat those two teams handily. Also, let's not forget about the Vikings game where he was perfect, the Chiefs game where he delivered a clutch win against K.C.

Yes, we are bad at run defense, I noticed. The playoffs are a different beast, not just for offenses, but for defenses, too. I think that with a healthy defense (Talib, our best cornerback, was out for half of the year, Barron's just starting to get healthy), and with seven to eight men in the box, we beat Dallas.

Goff was definitely horrible in his rookie year, but he only played seven games, and that was under Jeff Fisher. Oh, and he was at the precocious age of twenty-one.

Guess who else sucked in their rookie or second years?

With a 56.7 completion rate, 26 touchdowns to 28 interceptions, and a passer rating of a terrible 71.2, I give you future HOF quarterback Peyton Manning.

With a 60.8 completion rate, 17 touchdowns to 16 interceptions, and a below average passer rating of 76.9 in this second year, I give you future HOF quarterback Drew Brees. And he didn't even start in his rookie year and played all of one game.

Tom Brady? Only played one game and threw one completion. Philip Rivers? Didn't even start until his third year because Brees was the quarterback.

I can give you all of those comparable quarterbacks for one reason: Goff is more like them than the supposed "system quarterback" label that you give him. Every quarterback succeeds with good weapons and a good offensive line. Every quarterback struggles when the weapons don't fire and the offensive line collapses. So why is Goff labeled a system quarterback when other don't get that label in their entire career?

Last edited:

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

I agree with most of this post except for Goff. He hasn't looked sharp in a while.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
This thread looks hilarious when you use the ignore list. It just looks like Memento is arguing with herself. :laugh:

Honestly at least she'd probably win that battle unlike this one.

Edit: I stand corrected

Reactions: Memento

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
So apparently his buyout would only be triggered if a better opportunity came up, aka this.

He was apparently offered OC jobs both in the NFL and NCAA, along with offers from CFP bound teams. But USC wouldn't let him go unless it was a top job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->