Injury Report: Klein - Fractured Thumb

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I don't really pass judgment on decisions the coaching staff makes. Everything about managing a team or a group comes down to finding the right team formula. The individual's performance takes a back seat.

It makes total sense that a coach would go back to a formula that worked better, in this case having Girardi, Klein and Boyle as your RD. Now, it only kinda worked. If it were me, I would have eventually tried a different formula of Girardi, Klein and McIlrath, but I get why AV would take McIlrath out when Klein came back.

If I post some stats that help prove Dylan was the farthest thing from a detriment to the team when he's in the lineup, will you take them into consideration?

These would be stats like scoring chances against, etc... It is your prerogative to say no.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I don't really pass judgment on decisions the coaching staff makes. Everything about managing a team or a group comes down to finding the right team formula. The individual's performance takes a back seat.

It makes total sense that a coach would go back to a formula that worked better, in this case having Girardi, Klein and Boyle as your RD. Now, it only kinda worked. If it were me, I would have eventually tried a different formula of Girardi, Klein and McIlrath, but I get why AV would take McIlrath out when Klein came back.

I hear you on questioning coaches - it's much more complex than just drawing up a lineup card.

But this year, this staff deserves it. The constant baffling deployment of lines/pairings, horrible special teams, the same issues not fixed since November, his obsession with Glass while dumping far superior players, his inconsistent accountability attempts, etc etc.

He can't help that Staal and Girardi have seen better days physically - but he can adjust his usage. He can't help being up against the cap. But the things he can help and control, he's failed miserably at this season.

If people are questioning whether AV can successfully navigate missing Klein for some time, it's not b/c they think they know everything - it's because he has been so piss poor this season.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
If I post some stats that help prove Dylan was the farthest thing from a detriment to the team when he's in the lineup, will you take them into consideration?

These would be stats like scoring chances against, etc... It is your prerogative to say no.

No, for three reasons. First of all, I've seen the stats. Second of all, I never said he was a detriment to the team. Third of all, statistics aren't a rebuttal in a discussion of something as nebulous as team formula. This is one of those areas that just can't be measured.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
No, for three reasons. First of all, I've seen the stats. Second of all, I never said he was a detriment to the team. Third of all, statistics aren't a rebuttal in a discussion of something as nebulous as team formula. This is one of those areas that just can't be measured.

Well, I can't say I agree, but, that's your right. I won't force something on you that you don't care about.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Right. My issue with the logic is that he seemed to be okay with Dylan taking the heat for it.

Perhaps I read the post wrong.

It is arguing correlation equals causation for those losses. Its like us implying Andrew Desjardins was responsible for the Blackhawks winning the cup last season since he played in all 6 cup games.

You know who else played in those games and had much larger roles than Dylan? McD, Staal, Lundy, Nash, Brass, Zooks, etc.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Klein was never this plagued by injuries on Nashville. I hope he gets well soon

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
It was hard to see on the replay last night on MSG.

Was it a slash that got his hand? Or did he brace himself with that hand on the awkward fall into the boards?

Anyone able to see a replay that makes it easier to see?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Well, I can't say I agree, but, that's your right. I won't force something on you that you don't care about.

It isn't that I don't care. I just acknowledge that there are going to be elements to this sport that don't fall into a neat, logical box. In fact, some things will defy logic. Sometimes things work, or don't work, that don't necessarily have a logical explanation for why. The emergence of statistics has only amplified that truth.

That being said, there's nothing good about Klein being out indefinitely. In fact, I think it spells a certain amount of doom on the season. Klein seems to take a lot of time to get back to performing at a high level when he returns from injury. When are we going to see a 100% Klein? Late March? April?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Our RH defense depth may become a problem. Boyle is 39 and his contract is expiring. Girardi is 31. Klein is 31 and has had injury issues. It is good that we have Dylan (23) but who is the guy behind Dylan? Maybe Graves in the future but he is playing his first AHL season.

MacTruck27

May 17, 2014
is a possible silver lining to this that Yandle will get moved up and play a little bit more which can a) make our team better and b) give us an opportunity to show him off a little more before the trade deadline?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
It isn't that I don't care. I just acknowledge that there are going to be elements to this sport that don't fall into a neat, logical box. In fact, some things will defy logic. Sometimes things work, or don't work, that don't necessarily have a logical explanation for why. The emergence of statistics has only amplified that truth.

That being said, there's nothing good about Klein being out indefinitely. In fact, I think it spells a certain amount of doom on the season. Klein seems to take a lot of time to get back to performing at a high level when he returns from injury. When are we going to see a 100% Klein? Late March? April?

Well, I'd say you decidedly don't care about the statistics. It can be proven that when McIlrath is on the ice, the Rangers do not give up goals or scoring chances.

If something is messing with the chemistry of the team, well, I think that using McIlrath as that scapegoat of sorts is an easy cop out to disregard or ignore the true problems facing this team.

Obviously Klein being out is a major loss. But, if it gives Dylan an opportunity to get back in the lineup and prove that he's a better option than Girardi and Boyle - perhaps leading AV to keeping him in the lineup when Klein is healthy, well, then this is a blessing in disguise.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Well, I'd say you decidedly don't care about the statistics. It can be proven that when McIlrath is on the ice, the Rangers do not give up goals or scoring chances.

If something is messing with the chemistry of the team, well, I think that using McIlrath as that scapegoat of sorts is an easy cop out to disregard or ignore the true problems facing this team.

Obviously Klein being out is a major loss. But, if it gives Dylan an opportunity to get back in the lineup and prove that he's a better option than Girardi and Boyle - perhaps leading AV to keeping him in the lineup when Klein is healthy, well, then this is a blessing in disguise.

No, you're right. Caring about statistics and looking at roster formula are two mutually exclusive things. I can't care about both, it's impossible! :sarcasm:

I did say earlier that individual performance sometimes takes a backseat to roster formula. The backseat is still in the car.

Using terms like scapegoat only obscure the actual issue. Attempting to find the right formula doesn't involve scapegoating. It involves trying to make decisions, oftentimes difficult ones, that result in the most wins. No one is looking for a cop out or a scape goat.

RangerFan23

Jul 28, 2010
Yea, can we just fast forward this season?

Call me a pessimist but I don't see the future any brighter with Staal and Girardi continuing to age and slow down as well as guys like Miller who are getting better in front of our eyes walking away because our cap situation is so tight.

My biggest question is how, if at all, this effects the impending Yandle decision.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
No, you're right. Caring about statistics and looking at roster formula are two mutually exclusive things. I can't care about both, it's impossible! :sarcasm:

I did say earlier that individual performance sometimes takes a backseat to roster formula. The backseat is still in the car.

Using terms like scapegoat only obscure the actual issue. Attempting to find the right formula doesn't involve scapegoating. It involves trying to make decisions, oftentimes difficult ones, that result in the most wins. No one is looking for a cop out or a scape goat.

Pulling Dylan out, despite playing well (stats), to find the right formula (chemistry), implies he is a detriment, no?

It also, to me, tends to lead belief that he is being scapegoated for whatever this right formula is - as he is the one coming out of the lineup - this despite outplaying people who continue to see regular reps.

Are we really putting the New York Rangers record of 7-11-2 with Dylan in the lineup solely on his shoulders? I'm not comfortable with that. No one should be comfortable with that.

EDIT - Not to mention that it can be proven, again with stats, that Dylan makes the players around him better. Sounds like a good formula to me.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Pulling Dylan out, despite playing well (stats), to find the right formula (chemistry), implies he is a detriment, no?

It also, to me, tends to lead belief that he is being scapegoated for whatever this right formula is - as he is the one coming out of the lineup - this despite outplaying people who continue to see regular reps.

Are we really putting the New York Rangers record of 7-11-2 with Dylan in the lineup solely on his shoulders? I'm not comfortable with that. No one should be comfortable with that.

EDIT - Not to mention that it can be proven, again with stats, that Dylan makes the players around him better. Sounds like a good formula to me.

I don't know how many other ways I can explain this. So I'll just clear a couple of things up.

No, it's not on his shoulders. No, pulling him out doesn't necessarily imply he's a detriment.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I don't know how many other ways I can explain this. So I'll just clear a couple of things up.

No, it's not on his shoulders. No, pulling him out doesn't necessarily imply he's a detriment.

The way I understood what you said, is that when Dylan is in the lineup, the Rangers don't win often. And, because of that, perhaps there is a "misfit" in the formula that helps the Rangers succeed. This was then backed up by the fact that Dylan is not a consistent top-6D for the Rangers, or is the one being pulled out when G, Boyle, and Klein are healthy.

Correct me if that's a wrong summation of your views, because this is the thought process I am responding to.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The way I understood what you said, is that when Dylan is in the lineup, the Rangers don't win often. And, because of that, perhaps there is a "misfit" in the formula that helps the Rangers succeed. This was then backed up by the fact that Dylan is not a consistent top-6D for the Rangers, or is the one being pulled out when G, Boyle, and Klein are healthy.

Correct me if that's a wrong summation of your views, because this is the thought process I am responding to.

No, that's right. But what's wrong is that it implies anything negative about McIlrath.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It was hard to see on the replay last night on MSG.

Was it a slash that got his hand? Or did he brace himself with that hand on the awkward fall into the boards?

Anyone able to see a replay that makes it easier to see?

looked like it was his right hand, no slash, and he fell awkwardly into the boards...kind of with his hand under him and maybe it hit the boards as well? It is tough to see but he obviously immediately shook of his right glove and was in pain

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Our RH defense depth may become a problem. Boyle is 39 and his contract is expiring. Girardi is 31. Klein is 31 and has had injury issues. It is good that we have Dylan (23) but who is the guy behind Dylan? Maybe Graves in the future but he is playing his first AHL season.

Become a problem? Even with a healthy Klein our RHD is easily amongst the worst in the NHL.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY

AV be like...

giphy.gif

Anything to keep McIlrath out of the lineup...

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->