Injury Report: Klefbom our 2 games due to “minor procedure”

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
How does this even work? So Klefbom gets injured presumably sometime during the playoffs last year. He tries to recover over the offseason but clearly hasn’t. Proceeds to play badly but still somehow not get shut down, even after it’s evident that we aren’t making the playoffs this year. Now, FINALLY, he gets some sort of procedure and he could still be back?? Why not just let him heal for the rest of the season + offseason?

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Please let him completely heal and then shut him down till next season you incompetent bunch of clueless bafoons!

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I bet the org got embarrassed when it leaked that they were playing him injured to showcase him.

Yup, first thing I thought as well. Oilers have been taking heat about handling Klef. Then magically he's getting his injury more closely investigated.

Reactions: Aerrol

Sh1n5

Oct 10, 2008
So the team knows he was injured but traded Davidson and still kept playing Klef? Very smart

Davidson was smart asset management. This way the organization gets a good look at Ethan Bear and show him what it takes to be in the league. It also gives the kid an NHL paycheque to finish the season.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
So the team knows he was injured but traded Davidson and still kept playing Klef? Very smart

Even worse, they kept playing an injured Klefbom as the go-to option on the PP.

I am curious to know if this was TMac playing "his guys", or Chai ordering no RFA's on the PP. (Which would explain why Nurse, Pulju, Strome, Slepyshev haven't seen much time there). Perhaps a bit of both.

Reactions: McCanovin

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Davidson was smart asset management. This way the organization gets a good look at Ethan Bear and show him what it takes in the league. It also gives the kid an NHL paycheque to finish the season.
The fact that Chia was shopping an injured Klef is not smart. Talk about selling low. Bear is not here to replace Davidson. He's replacing Larsson. Bear will not get more than 9 games here

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Even go back to last summer. Knowing Sek was likely not going to be himself at any point this year after major surgery, and knowing Klef was struggling with a lingering shoulder injury. We bolster the D with Gryba and Auvitu and some career AHlers I forget the names of.

Reactions: McCanovin

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Even go back to last summer. Knowing Sek was likely not going to be himself at any point this year after major surgery, and knowing Klef was struggling with a lingering shoulder injury. We bolster the D with Gryba and Auvitu and some career AHlers I forget the names of.
I've lost any hope for Chia. No longer trust him with anything outside of drafting

Reactions: Raoul Duke

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
That wasn't a fact.

It was purely speculation from Friedman.

I agree that Friedman was speculating, at least to some extent, but he had some logical ground to do so. You could tell a week or so before the deadline, while he was on Stauffer's show, that Friedman thought the Oilers were shopping Klefbom. He subtly hinted that there was a reason the Oilers were playing Klefbom while he was obviously injured--apparently, everyone and their dog knew Klefbom was actually injured.

So, the argument would go, why would the Oilers be playing Klefbom through an injury if they aren't trying to showcase him, given that the Oilers have been out of the playoff picture for awhile now. Who knows what's really going on though.

Anyways, it will be just another massive, massive f*** up by this organization if Klefbom's injury bleeds into the regular season next year, given that everyone apparently knew he has been injured. If his injury requires surgery, which it sounds like it very well may (shoulder injury, that's what I think), his rehab could take a long time. We will see how this plays out.

Reactions: Aerrol

Former Referee 68

Aug 18, 2016
Canada
So we are all doctors Now? does anyone Besides Klef, Doctor and the team really know what the issue is? Keep assuming you know better then the team... (mod)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Supermassive

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
So we are all doctors Now? does anyone Besides Klef, Doctor and the team really know what the issue is? Keep assuming you know better then the team... (mod)

I have some medical training. I'm assuming based on his play that he just needs some minor brain surgery. But in all seriousness it's probably his AC joint, which explains the corticosteroid injections and lack of surgery, usually surgery is the last option.

Last edited by a moderator:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I bet the org got embarrassed when it leaked that they were playing him injured to showcase him.
I don’t read the rumours thread so this is the first I’m hearing of this. This makes me wonder if the rumours of him refusing surgery are true and they’re pissed off with him.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I agree that Friedman was speculating, at least to some extent, but he had some logical ground to do so. You could tell a week or so before the deadline, while he was on Stauffer's show, that Friedman thought the Oilers were shopping Klefbom. He subtly hinted that there was a reason the Oilers were playing Klefbom while he was obviously injured--apparently, everyone and their dog knew Klefbom was actually injured.

So, the argument would go, why would the Oilers be playing Klefbom through an injury if they aren't trying to showcase him, given that the Oilers have been out of the playoff picture for awhile now. Who knows what's really going on though.

Anyways, it will be just another massive, massive **** up by this organization if Klefbom's injury bleeds into the regular season next year, given that everyone apparently knew he has been injured. If his injury requires surgery, which it sounds like it very well may (shoulder injury, that's what I think), his rehab could take a long time. We will see how this plays out.

Seriously, how many Canadian teams are talked about in the media a week before the trade deadline with speculation a player might possibly be shopped and it turns out there was zero legs to the rumor as the media makes crap up all the time for viewership.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad