Injury Report: Klefbom could be out long-term.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm not willing to potentially risk another playoff berth because of Klefbom's shoulder. Get a D. If you lose them to Seattle so be it, you get cap room.

Klefbom's game took a big hit after his last surgery it will probably again after this next surgery. We should move on.

Reactions: MessierII

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I'm not willing to potentially risk another playoff berth because of Klefbom's shoulder. Get a D. If you lose them to Seattle so be it, you get cap room.

Klefbom's game took a big hit after his last surgery it will probably again after this next surgery. We should move on.
I agree albeit it’s tough to trade him now.

RinkRatOil

Aug 3, 2009
The guy cant stay healthy. Its time to get the surgery, get him back to as close to 100% as possible, then ship him out. Obviously would need to work some magic and find a replacement for that to work.

Reactions: MessierII

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
The guy cant stay healthy. Its time to get the surgery, get him back to as close to 100% as possible, then ship him out. Obviously would need to work some magic and find a replacement for that to work.

draft guhle. Problem Solved

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
maybe he should just make him drink mcdavid blood smoothies until hes healed

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
According to Gregor he is hearing it's arthritis. So surgery may not work or make it worse
Jarrett Stoll had early arthritis at one point but managed to keep going somehow. This was before LA’s cups I think like 2010 or so. I wonder what he did.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I agree albeit it’s tough to trade him now.

Now might be the best time to trade him, because teams are looking to shave actual dollars off the payroll for next season rather than just hockey trades. Insured LTIR may be a way to move him out.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Now might be the best time to trade him, because teams are looking to shave actual dollars off the payroll for next season rather than just hockey trades. Insured LTIR may be a way to move him out.
Yeah I’ve considered that but it’s still tough. Are you really going to get value in that situation?

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
So it’s God-damned arthritis. I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy and I feel really bad for Klefbom. This certainly makes all the issues about surgery or no surgery make sense, as does the talk about retirement.

From an Oilers point of view, we are back to the drawing board. It should be assumed Klefbom will never play meaningful minutes for us again. He certainly may, but our plans should now assume it’s unlikely. LH shot D is fortunately an area with some depth, but it pushes back our competitive window until Broberg and maybe Samorukov can play solid full time.

Shit.

In hindsight, the Broberg over forwards pick suddenly makes a tonne more sense.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Feel horrible for the guy. Everything makes sense now with the arthritis news (reaction time / decision making due to being distracted and in pain, poor shot, and especially the consideration of retirement etc). Surgery could do nothing, it will be about managing it via therapy.

I think that’s an LTIR situation for this season at least to see how he can manage the symptoms. I think Holland will be looking to sign a top 4 LD if that’s the case

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Feel horrible for the guy. Everything makes sense now with the arthritis news (reaction time / decision making due to being distracted and in pain, poor shot, and especially the consideration of retirement etc). Surgery could do nothing, it will be about managing it via therapy.

I think that’s an LTIR situation for this season at least to see how he can manage the symptoms. I think Holland will be looking to sign a top 4 LD if that’s the case

Yeah, this sucks. Probably the worst kind of thing for a young athlete. Annoying pain that surgery can't fix that just annoys you on and off the ice. And it just cumulatively gets worse every season as it goes on, and there's really nothing you can do about it.

Hope they figure out some way to fix or manage it, but I imagine it's going to be extremely difficult.

Reactions: Oilhawks

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Hopefully the people shitting on Klefbom for not doing the surgery immediately after the play-ins ended will shut up now.

God forbid actually having some information onto what Oscar is going through before mouthing off.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't blame Klef for doing what he has to do, but as a hockey team you need to do what you have to do as well to protect the organization.

We can't operate in this bizzaro state where we don't know when this guy will be in the lineup or even if he will play at all next year.

How can you build any kind of team this way.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
That is awful news and he is so young (27) to contract arthritis. What ever he decides, I wish him the best and hopefully he can play out the rest of his contract.
Maybe they could look into some new science therapy, maybe something with stem cells.
In the end, your health is important and I can understand why he has been hesitant with surgery.
Bless you Klefbom for being a warrior for us while fighting through so much adversity!!

Reactions: Aerchon

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Edmontonians with arthritis spend winters in ARI or FLA. Klefa can maximize his career if he gets traded to a more humid place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->