Injury Report: Klay Thompson tears his ACL

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
damn that is absolutely brutal. both KD and klay are going to miss a good amount of next season. still think a team will give him the max though because he deserves it 100% he was by far the warriors best player this series

crazy that he was jogging and trying to stay in the game on a torn ACL. hope he can recover quickly and remain the player he is

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Hope he has a speedy recovery. However, could this be a blessing in disguise for the Warriors? KD almost assuredly opts into his contract with the Warriors to take one last shot at a title before leaving next summer, and the Warriors are going to pay Klay regardless. Rehab is not easy, but it's definitely easier than the grind of an 82-game season + Finals run for the last five seasons.

The Warriors will have to hope that Curry + Draymond can keep them afloat until Klay/KD are ready to return (assuming KD opts in), and then they can make another push for the Finals.

I'm assuming both KD and Klay will be out until February at the earliest, though.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Golden State goes from top dog to honestly being in danger of missing the playoffs.

The dynasty ends through no act of their own. That's brutal.

Nope, just seemingly through attrition. Which is only going to amp up the regular season rest days for star players.

KD is 99% opting into his extra year with the Warriors. He’s going to get paid $30M to rehab his achilles and take his time to return this time.

Why would he opt in when supposedly a handful of teams are still willing to max him out?

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Why? It's not unusual that you are almost pain free after tearing your ACL. It's the lateral movement that is an issue.

Ya it takes awhile for the swelling to really take hold...plus the guy was full of adrenaline.

Warriors are aging fast...I guess when you play to June every year, it’s probably like they’ve played 2 extra seasons in the last 5 with the intensity of playoffs.

Reactions: darko

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Ya it takes awhile for the swelling to really take hold...plus the guy was full of adrenaline.

Warriors are aging fast...I guess when you play to June every year, it’s probably like they’ve played 2 extra seasons in the last 5 with the intensity of playoffs.

It’s about 1 season of games (5 years, ~20-22 games per on average), but those are all much higher intensity than visiting the Pelicans in January so I gotta figure they take a lot more outa you.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
That just sucks he got hurt like that. Especially because he was basically NBA Jam level on fire when it happened. Just crazy to see GS get decimated like this.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Brutal.

Scenario: They could opt to be cold blooded and not re-sign him. Durant goes elsewhere. They renounce every other FA. How close are they to having the cap room for a max free agent? Looking at it, it's not that big of a $ figure from what I can see.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Why? It's not unusual that you are almost pain free after tearing your ACL. It's the lateral movement that is an issue.

Exactly,... it's painful and super weird/uncomfortable in the moment it happens, afterwards it's torn and the only thing that hurts is when your knee moves in a way it shouldn't (and nerves relating to the meniscus, remaining ligaments and other stuff send the "don't hurt me too" pain signals). When you have super strong legs (as he would) it's not surprising the rest of that structure can keep the knee in place for a quick jog out and back... it was (from the announcer I heard) when he started hopping (and a trainer would have suggested start-stopping) in the room... that's when he would have realized the lack of stability and that the ACL was gone.

He'll be back ready in 6 months, that's fairly standard even without the excellent care these guys get.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I admit, I thought when he came back out he was "embellishing" his injury

how wrong I was...brutal injury

You must not have seen the super slow mo replay of him landing awkwardly... yuck. As a guy who blew his ACL, it made me queasy. It was either shredded or he's super gumby.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Brutal.

Scenario: They could opt to be cold blooded and not re-sign him. Durant goes elsewhere. They renounce every other FA. How close are they to having the cap room for a max free agent? Looking at it, it's not that big of a $ figure from what I can see.

I think they’re 11 mil over if Klay leaves and Durant picks up his option.

So they’d have like 20 mil space if both left and a max deal is 33 or something.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
End of the Warriors? I'm sure they'll still be a top team in the West but their automatic bid to the Finals at the very least appears to be dead.

Wow, for the first time in a long-ass time, we have no idea who is going to be in the Finals next June. Could be anybody really, well anyone that is not tanking and/or has god-awful management (Suns, Knicks).

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
End of the Warriors? I'm sure they'll still be a top team in the West but their automatic bid to the Finals at the very least appears to be dead.

Wow, for the first time in a long-ass time, we have no idea who is going to be in the Finals next June. Could be anybody really, well anyone that is not tanking and/or has god-awful management (Suns, Knicks).

it's gonna be curry and dray next season even if klay does come back. i don't think that's a playoff team in a stacked WC

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad