Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Reading Brown's article Jussi says he will be back next season. Not sure what his contract statis was when he signed on with the Rangers? He talked a bit about the series and said when you lose 4 straight your opponent was obviously better team. Talked about the rookies and how they all took a big step forward in development. Let's see how MM approaches next season. Somewhere along the road a rebuild of sorts is required. You know the old saying about putting lipstick on a pig.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Reading Brown's article Jussi says he will be back next season. Not sure what his contract statis was when he signed on with the Rangers? He talked a bit about the series and said when you lose 4 straight your opponent was obviously better team. Talked about the rookies and how they all took a big step forward in development. Let's see how MM approaches next season. Somewhere along the road a rebuild of sorts is required. You know the old saying about putting lipstick on a pig.
I thought his contract was for three years with an option after the first two. His option.

Reactions: bobber

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Four year contract. Two years plus two year mutual option.
Hopefully Jussi can put his stamp on the Rangers like Deboer. The blueprint has to change here because of the division the Rangers play in. MM was chewing gum like it was going out of style when he was interviewed during the game. Hopefully he was taking notes on what needs to change.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Knights fan coming in peace. I will always feel bad for Filip Mesar. I was kinda of hoping at some point the Knights could trade for him and you guys take the last year of Gazizov and a prospect plus picks.

He would have been awesome for the Knights to have the vision he has and he actually showed up in the playoffs for you guys this year which is awesome.

Well I hope we can get back to the Rangers and Knights rivalry of 2005. Those were fun.

I Mac 80

Jul 23, 2023
I really hope Jussi has a say on how the roster is constructed going forward. He has a really good idea of how he wants his teams to look and play and he should definitely have some input on players that are drafted and who makes the team out of camp. I’m slightly concerned that if that doesn’t happen he will get frustrated and leave for something else. I would love for him to stay for 4-5 years and really develop a strong team that is competitive year in and year out. If he’s able to do this his path to the pro’s really opens up. Next year should def be a sell off year regardless of how good we might be. Perhaps the trades don’t happen right away in regards to Rehkopf and Andonovski and it’s done more towards the trade deadline so that they can build there value up but they for sure need to be moved to recoup picks and hopefully you get players that for with our go for it year.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I think there will be moves very early (OA’s), but Rehkopf / Andonovski will be deadline week deals. That’s when the return would be highest.

I figure Rehkopf would bring Owen Beck to Saginaw calibre return.

Andonovski, with a very good to excellent first half next year, could bring higher return than we expect. Somewhere in the neighbourhood of Van Vliet, Donovan, McCoy return?

Also, depending on who makes this team next year, we may see an early move or two to make room. There may be a bubble type player or two among the vets.

I mean, if we assume the seven 07’s make the team, Pobezal shows up, 4 x 08’s, and if there’s a find from the U18 draft, things will be crowded - especially up front.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Smart GMs thinking about contention go out and grab the best player they can get early. Mark Hunter picked up Simpson. Jumped in last season and got Dickinson when he refused to commit. I agree it's best to wait as a seller at the deadline to garner as many picks or young prospects.
The risk is your top players have to have had put up a bunch of points and be healthy. (Martin) With MM it's a crap shoot as to what he does. I think he needs to start building assets up. Can't keep going to the bank before the draft paying more for less trying to fill holes. Not neccessary if you have assets.

Last edited:

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Smart GMs thinking about contention go out and grab the best player they can get early. Mark Hunter picked up Simpson. Jumped in last season and got Dickinson when he refused to commit. I agree it's best to wait as a seller at the deadline to garner as many picks or young prospects.
The risk is your top players have to have had put up a bunch of points and be healthy. (Martin) With MM it's a crap shoot as to what he does. I think he needs to start building assets up. Can't keep going to the bank before the draft paying more for less trying to fill holes. Not neccaessary if you have assets.
Mark Hunter throws around draft picks as if the they were manholes covers. Heck, he's so cheap he probably expects staff to pay his personal parking tickets! ;)
McKenzie throws around draft picks as if they were confetti at a wedding. :)

PS...smart GMs also scout the leagues other GMs to find the dumb and desperate ones! ;)

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Mark Hunter throws around draft picks as if the they were manholes covers. Heck, he's so cheap he probably expects staff to pay his personal parking tickets! ;)
McKenzie throws around draft picks as if they were confetti at a wedding. :)

PS...smart GMs also scout the leagues other GMs to find the dumb and desperate ones! ;)
Mark has a couple of Ranger skins on his barn door.

Reactions: K2 and Ward Cornell

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
So, in my opinion, as much as I would not like to see players that I am trading away, wearing London green, if they provide the best return, that’s who I’m doing the deal with.
I agree it also surprises me to hear fans say at the deadline "if we don't get this, this and this then I say we just keep him no sense giving him away". In the OHL knowing when to sell is critical and wasting an asset because you only got 2 second round picks when you feel it should have gotten 3 is crazy imo? But hey that's why teams have a GM and doesn't allow fans to run the show!

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I really hope Jussi has a say on how the roster is constructed going forward. He has a really good idea of how he wants his teams to look and play and he should definitely have some input
Hiring a guy like Jussi and not building a team that suits his style would be crazy. Still think this season when the train fell off the tracks Jussi struggled so badly to find the answer .... maybe never did because this year's Rangers team is not what Jussi needs. He needs a fast tempo hard on the forcheck patient team that waits to pounce on the opponents mistakes. Think Finland national teams .... not the most exciting to watch but highly effective in the win column. Gotta give him his type of players or there was no sense bringing him over.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Knights fan coming in peace. I will always feel bad for Filip Mesar. I was kinda of hoping at some point the Knights could trade for him and you guys take the last year of Gazizov and a prospect plus picks.

He would have been awesome for the Knights to have the vision he has and he actually showed up in the playoffs for you guys this year which is awesome.

Well I hope we can get back to the Rangers and Knights rivalry of 2005. Those were fun.
Might not be a popular opinion on here but I would take Gazizov and his grit in a heartbeat over Mesar if I was trying to build a championship team. That said Mesar showed a lot this season.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I think there will be moves very early (OA’s), but Rehkopf / Andonovski will be deadline week deals. That’s when the return would be highest.

I figure Rehkopf would bring Owen Beck to Saginaw calibre return.

Andonovski, with a very good to excellent first half next year, could bring higher return than we expect. Somewhere in the neighbourhood of Van Vliet, Donovan, McCoy return?

Also, depending on who makes this team next year, we may see an early move or two to make room. There may be a bubble type player or two among the vets.

I mean, if we assume the seven 07’s make the team, Pobezal shows up, 4 x 08’s, and if there’s a find from the U18 draft, things will be crowded - especially up front.
I'm seeing what we can get for Rehkopf as soon as trades begin. If it's acceptable I take it. His game needs a lot of improvement to bring a Beck like return imo. He definitely has a big time shot. He showed at times (end of game 1 vs Erie) he could up his overall game. Question is will he do it on a regular basis? If he doesn't, his trade value won't be on an upward trajectory. He's also not likely to be playing with the same caliber of talent as this season.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I'm seeing what we can get for Rehkopf as soon as trades begin. If it's acceptable I take it. His game needs a lot of improvement to bring a Beck like return imo. He definitely has a big time shot. He showed at times (end of game 1 vs Erie) he could up his overall game. Question is will he do it on a regular basis? If he doesn't, his trade value won't be on an upward trajectory. He's also not likely to be playing with the same caliber of talent as this season.
If a team acquired Razor it would likely be a team bent on contention next season. Beck was a 200 foot player. Numbers weren't the same as Razor but his over all game has more elements to it. Probably better to cut the cord and rebuild early get new young players in and develop them over a whole season. Rangers have some of the best rookies this year that picked up lots of experience. Add in a good prospect or two and it should be exciting to watch this team. Enough of the half assed mediocre trades to add to a midpack or less teams. As they say in Ireland " Shite or get off the pot".

Last edited:

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Hopefully Seattle gives him a game plan to work on after his next camp. He also needs to beef up those long chicken legs.
I'm sure Seattle will give Rehkopf a game plan. I'm also pretty sure Jussi has done so this season. To me he seems like a very sound fundamental coach that stresses 2 way, tough hockey. It's a matter of Rehkopf accepting the challenge.

Squirrel88

Jul 1, 2023
No doubt trades will happen and KIT will be a seller next year, but at this point its not clear who the buyers are (other than MISS and Brantford). Probably need to wait to let the market develop before you get the top return. With Razor, don't you want to see whether you can get somebody's '08 first as part of the return?

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
No doubt trades will happen and KIT will be a seller next year, but at this point its not clear who the buyers are (other than MISS and Brantford). Probably need to wait to let the market develop before you get the top return. With Razor, don't you want to see whether you can get somebody's '08 first as part of the return?
Good point about the 08. But if we can get a boat load of picks and an 07 it's worth considering. Trades for first rounders are still relatively rare, although recently they're happening more often.

Definitely not selling at a discount.

Reactions: Rangers2022

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Good point about the 08. But if we can get a boat load of picks and an 07 it's worth considering. Trades for first rounders are still relatively rare, although recently they're happening more often.

Definitely not selling at a discount.

Agree…if it’s an 2007 on the level of Reid, Lam or Romano and picks we take it in a hurry.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
If the Rangers are 100% set on next season being a sell season then they should trade Rehkopf before the season starts.

My fear is that Kitchener plays above expectations again like this past season. If Rehkopf has a season similar to this one again he will be around the goal per game pace. He will single-handedly win some games next year. Pick up some picks and maybe two roster players for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad