Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Fun year, sucks it ended this way. The guys battled today and just wouldn't go away.

This one feels more bitter than past years, I really liked this OA crop. Wish they could have played a little longer.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

digicamo

Mar 31, 2023
Strange season. No one in the league thought the Rangers would take off like they did. Caught up to them later. Losing Martin to injury and Hamara to trade change the narrative going forward. Deadline trades seemed weak but Sale was probably the best forward along with Mesar. No surprise losing 4 to the Knights. Looking forward the Rangers have some of the top rookies in the league. Bodes well going into next year.
Weird season for sure, but everyone should be proud of the way they exceeded expectations. Even in the sweep this series there was three really close games and man does the future look bright for this team. I think Reid is a stud and MacNeil and Stark, who isn’t even a D, we’re incredible tonight against a wicked Knights team. If we do truly move some of our big 05s next year for some more 07s and 08s things are looking good.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
I guess we'll have to wait until the 2025 Priority to see if MM learned anything. I thought most of this year's selections were on the smallish side again.
I disagree with a small draft. What is small at 15 years old? Only 3 of the 14 players the Rangers drafted are smaller than 5’10”. To me we didn’t draft any huge players but a lot of these players can still grow in the next couple years.

All the Answers

Jan 19, 2020
Also, gotta give kudos to Parsons tonight. He played huge and gave the guys a legitimate shot at the W. Battled hard and made multiple huge stops. Sole reason with the depleted D that London didn't get 8 or 9 tonight. Really hoping he gets to a contender next year (and gets us a great return). He's a gamer.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Thinking of next season….we can’t be fooled like this year that we can be a contender next year. Selling Razor, Ando and Sale are a must. Selling Swick, Misa and Parsons will help the draft cupboard. Keeping Malboeuf (keep us in some games) and Pug (leadership and grit) as OAs will help the young players. Bring in another vet in an OA to trade (example Xhejak for Mutter and picks) will help with the veteran leadership as well.

The 2007s look so strong and this past draft (if we can get Bray or Zu to come) looks very promising. Need to add to that core to give ourselves a chance at an actually championship in a couple years and stop this 3rd to 8th run we have been on for awhile. You need to take a step back in order to take a step forward in the OHL. Refill the draft cupboard and add a solid one or two 2007 or 2008 studs in a Razor, Ando and Sale trade. We will be sitting pretty in a couple years if MM does the right moves next season.

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
Ill do my yearly disect of the team in the morning.

For now, I am just going to enjoy the last few minutes of April 18th. The last full day that Motew Sop and martin are members of this organization.

This might have been one of my favorite OA crops since, Cattenacci Sol and Big Rig randell

Have a good night yall.

As don cameron would say, the sun will rise tomorrow.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Thinking of next season….we can’t be fooled like this year that we can be a contender next year. Selling Razor, Ando and Sale are a must. Selling Swick, Misa and Parsons will help the draft cupboard. Keeping Malboeuf (keep us in some games) and Pug (leadership and grit) as OAs will help the young players. Bring in another vet in an OA to trade (example Xhejak for Mutter and picks) will help with the veteran leadership as well.

The 2007s look so strong and this past draft (if we can get Bray or Zu to come) looks very promising. Need to add to that core to give ourselves a chance at an actually championship in a couple years and stop this 3rd to 8th run we have been on for awhile. You need to take a step back in order to take a step forward in the OHL. Refill the draft cupboard and add a solid one or two 2007 or 2008 studs in a Razor, Ando and Sale trade. We will be sitting pretty in a couple years if MM does the right moves next season.

MM needs to start the sell off when the trade freeze lifts. My preference, since we’ll be rebuilding, is to figure out the net right away. I’d try to get what I can for Parsons right away. Based on recent returns for guys like Simpson and Costantini, Parsons won’t bring a lot. But I contend developing Edwards needs to take priority over going with Parsons and playing him 50+ games, which I assume he’ll expect.

For me, move him asap, go with Malboeuf, who proved to be capable, and Edwards in a 50/50 split. Getting Edwards into 30-35 games will go a long way in his development and Malboeuf should be happy with the split. I doubt Parsons would be.

The reason this has to happen asap is there’s no way we go into camp with two OA goalies. If Parsons isn’t moved, Malboeuf will need to figure out where he’ll play (U sports?) and he can’t be left hanging.

Ill do my yearly disect of the team in the morning.
Oh I have one coming too! 😜

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
McKenzie better have been paying attention. You can’t keep getting run over physically. Size, grit and compete matter. Undervalue it at your own peril.
Post of the night!!!

The only time this team had a good chance of getting to the final, since 2010, was in 2018. MM put that team together and that team was as big, tough, and physical as they came.

It was a breath of fresh air after years of Steve Spott’s mostly soft teams who tried to “beat them with the PP”.

We definitely have to get back to that.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Yup - time to sell for real.

No more middling in the regular season and losing in the second round please.
Hindsight being 20/20, but not really, the correct direction to go in at the deadline was a soft cell based on the prices. What MM did at the 2022 trade deadline was what we needed to do this year. He sold off a couple veterans (Xhekaj, MacDonnell) for good return, and still gave us a chance to be competitive in the playoffs. That is what should’ve been done at this year‘s deadline. Many on here, early in the season, myself included, were in favour of an all out sell off. But once December 1 rolled around, many of us swung into the buy mode. That being said, a soft sell was the only thing that would’ve made sense considering we couldn’t fill all our needs with the assets that MM was willing to move at the deadline.
Three targets that would, or should have been moved in a soft sell, would’ve been Sop, Brzustewicz, and Mesar. Theoretically, we could have moved two or all three, also done the Sale/Savard trade, and still got past Erie in round one. Maybe. But the future would have been much brighter. (We have no picks in the next three drafts in rounds 2 thru 5. None).

I am 100% adamant that MM has to go into a hard sell beginning this off-season. Any graduating player has to be on the table. As was said, there’s no way he can hedge his bets again this year and expect to contend truly in 2026 and 2027. I say 2026 because if our 07 group is as good as it looks to be, and the 08 group as good as it better be, we’ll be a pretty good team who’ll have moved back up into home ice advantage mode. We’d still do a soft sell that year but still be a pretty good team (think this year’s version of the Bulldogs).

For me, Rehkopf, Andonovski and Sale, have to be the prime trade targets. But I’m afraid after this postseason, the value of our OA candidates who would be desirable OA’s in trade next year may have dropped a little (Swick), somewhat (Parsons) and totally (Miseljevic).

Much of the time, Swick hasn’t been much more than an afterthought this post season, especially in this series against London. Parsons, though having had good stretches, has let in a lot of goals, and has stolen no games for us. To beat London, he was gonna have to steal a couple of games. That didn’t happen. The bottom dropped out of Miseljevic’s game after Jan 1. He pretty much reverted back to the guy he was last year.

Using the last couple of trade deadlines, we know Rehkopf and Andonovski and Sale will bring very good return. I don’t think this year‘s postseason will affect any of their return. I mean, if you put Rehkopf with a couple of players with some jam, that would open up a lot of ice for him, and I think his totals would soar. Sale was one of our best forwards this post season and he’ll only get better. Andonovski is a bull back there period. There will be a big demand for his services no question.

I hold with my earlier position of dealing Parsons if there’s a market for him and going with Malboeuf as the third OA. Miseljevic, for me, has reverted to what he was last year. He had a great 1st half this year but has pretty much crashed since the new year to the point where he isn’t a threat to put up points and therefore, not in demand on the trade front. We likely start the season with four OA’s. A goalie along with Swick, Miseljevic and Pugliese. It won’t be that awkward especially if Malboeuf is the goalie because half the time Edwards would be the starter which would allow all three skaters to dress. If Swick resumes his goal scoring pace of this year, his market will soar. Getting good return for him and going with an OA group of Pugliese, Miseljevic and a goalie is decent in a rebuilding year.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Could be. I didn't see a replay but the Kitchener coaches were looking at the tablet and were not happy. Don't know why if it was a legit penalty.

My guess is because it wasn't a good penalty to take. As I said we were carrying the play at that point and as it turned out that really changed the momentum. Like I said it looked pretty obvious to me on the replay on TV but opinion might vary.

Reactions: bobber

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Yup - time to sell for real.

No more middling in the regular season and losing in the second round please.
A few of your supporters have spoken about the “Ownership Structure” and “Board Member” involvement perhaps dictating that the Rangers yearly goal is to make the playoffs and make the second round. Thus generating a budgeted cash revenue target. I must admit at first I thought that’s crazy all teams play to win but the more I watch the Rangers and perhaps even a team like Owen Sound I no longer am discounting this theory immediately? I mean did MM deserve a 5 year extension based off his performance so far or has he for the most part met the “Boards” expectations? Interesting point of view anyway …

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Hindsight being 20/20, but not really, the correct direction to go in at the deadline was a soft cell based on the prices. What MM did at the 2022 trade deadline was what we needed to do this year. He sold off a couple veterans (Xhekaj, MacDonnell) for good return, and still gave us a chance to be competitive in the playoffs. That is what should’ve been done at this year‘s deadline. Many on here, early in the season, myself included, were in favour of an all out sell off. But once December 1 rolled around, many of us swung into the buy mode. That being said, a soft sell was the only thing that would’ve made sense considering we couldn’t fill all our needs with the assets that MM was willing to move at the deadline.
Three targets that would, or should have been moved in a soft sell, would’ve been Sop, Brzustewicz, and Mesar. Theoretically, we could have moved two or all three, also done the Sale/Savard trade, and still got past Erie in round one. Maybe. But the future would have been much brighter. (We have no picks in the next three drafts in rounds 2 thru 5. None).

I am 100% adamant that MM has to go into a hard sell beginning this off-season. Any graduating player has to be on the table. As was said, there’s no way he can hedge his bets again this year and expect to contend truly in 2026 and 2027. I say 2026 because if our 07 group is as good as it looks to be, and the 08 group as good as it better be, we’ll be a pretty good team who’ll have moved back up into home ice advantage mode. We’d still do a soft sell that year but still be a pretty good team (think this year’s version of the Bulldogs).

For me, Rehkopf, Andonovski and Sale, have to be the prime trade targets. But I’m afraid after this postseason, the value of our OA candidates who would be desirable OA’s in trade next year may have dropped a little (Swick), somewhat (Parsons) and totally (Miseljevic).

Much of the time, Swick hasn’t been much more than an afterthought this post season, especially in this series against London. Parsons, though having had good stretches, has let in a lot of goals, and has stolen no games for us. To beat London, he was gonna have to steal a couple of games. That didn’t happen. The bottom dropped out of Miseljevic’s game after Jan 1. He pretty much reverted back to the guy he was last year.

Using the last couple of trade deadlines, we know Rehkopf and Andonovski and Sale will bring very good return. I don’t think this year‘s postseason will affect any of their return. I mean, if you put Rehkopf with a couple of players with some jam, that would open up a lot of ice for him, and I think his totals would soar. Sale was one of our best forwards this post season and he’ll only get better. Andonovski is a bull back there period. There will be a big demand for his services no question.

I hold with my earlier position of dealing Parsons if there’s a market for him and going with Malboeuf as the third OA. Miseljevic, for me, has reverted to what he was last year. He had a great 1st half this year but has pretty much crashed since the new year to the point where he isn’t a threat to put up points and therefore, not in demand on the trade front. We likely start the season with four OA’s. A goalie along with Swick, Miseljevic and Pugliese. It won’t be that awkward especially if Malboeuf is the goalie because half the time Edwards would be the starter which would allow all three skaters to dress. If Swick resumes his goal scoring pace of this year, his market will soar. Getting good return for him and going with an OA group of Pugliese, Miseljevic and a goalie is decent in a rebuilding year.
Swicks value went up IMO

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
And, when you have a young, thin defence, and are forced to play your vets (1xOA. 1x’04) way more than you’d like, they are more susceptible to becoming overworked. An overworked, tired player will eventually become behind a step and therefore, easier targets to be hit and outplayed. It also doesn’t help when you have rookies or other young players with little experience in the league playing more minutes against better competition than they should be on a regular basis. They also become a step behind and easier to target and outplay.

This isn’t as much a London thing as it is a Ranger player personal issue. The Rangers have the youngest, thinnest backend of any team in the west and most in the east who had any expectation of contending or even getting past the first round.

That’s not Hunter’s fault. He’s just exploiting a weakness. I suspect we’d do the same in their shoes.
Clean hits, sure. Dirty, dangerous bashes that puts a player out of commission and calling it incidental, absolute no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad