Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

OnlyUpFromHere49

Jun 6, 2023
Romano was easily the best player on the ice. Labrash used his size etc but didn’t look all that fast. Had me thinking whether he could keep up at this level where Giordano, for me, looked like he’d be able to. That’s comparing the U18 skaters.

I hoped for more out of Schneider. Sure he’s big and I liked what I saw of him last year, but despite being a year older, didn’t standout much for me today. Had me wondering if we used the 15th rounder on him last year as a favour.

Modopolous also was just meh for me. Not really that big (but neither was the old man. Height wise anyway).

I assume there was a no fight rule in place? Unless I missed it, no sign of animosity or hint someone was looking to go. I’m thinking you better be able to show you can play the game before you advance to where those restrictions are lifted. Makes sense in today’s day and age.
What exact kind of player would you expect the team to take in the 15th round after 290+ picks?

(If you don’t mind me asking)

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
I took in the scrimmage this morning. Hard to get a good look at everyone. And I’m admittedly not the best judge of talent.

But for me, Romano, Lam and Stark easily the best on the ice. Predictably.

Of our 08’s, Headrick and Cameron looked good. Not outstanding but good. Antsis is another I liked.

I thought on D, Xu and Bray looked better than Bilecki and Gaitens. These guys weren’t bad, but Xu and Bray looked noticeably better.

Of our U18 drafts picks, I like Giordano the best. Looked fast, nifty, used his size and has a nice shot. Looks like a player.

I won’t get to any more of the scrimmages, so any views from anybody else, and what they see going forward would be greatly appreciated!
Didn't catch the morning but saw the 6:00.

Agree with you on Romano, Lam and Stark. Likely good measuring sticks.

For me, Antsis and Souter are the '08's that personally surprised me. Both appear to be quick and talented enough. As for, Antsis (assuming he doesn't have U.S. plans) I would consider making room for him up front in September if he'd show the same promise at main camp. A year of development and increase in physical size and strength I think will turn Souter into a very good '08 prospect for the future and maybe even a call-up. I'd say the same for Gaitens at the GOJHL or OJHL. Would probably do wonders for this guy too.

I'm assuming they automatically bring Headrick, Bilecki and Cameron on board. All three showed flashes. It will be interesting to see how Headrick pans out. Even Lam appeared to be noticeably taller than him on the ice, so he's not big. But he does play with a ton of heart and is quick, also possessing a quick release. A different type of player than the more finesse-like Lam. Headrick seems fearless in the corners and along the wall. With the talent and desire the kid has, any increase in physical size over the next few years could really work to his advantage. Admittedly, even at pick number 15, the Rangers seemed to go off the board with this selection. Mind you they did that with Mike Richards and Grayson Ladd in the past too. So we'll see what kind of player he turns into.

I'd say Xu would be a definite add should he decide to come back to main camp in my opinion.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

For me, Antsis and Souter are the '08's that personally surprised me. Both appear to be quick and talented enough. As for, Antsis (assuming he doesn't have U.S. plans) I would consider making room for him up front in September if he'd show the same promise at main camp. A year of development and increase in physical size and strength I think will turn Souter into a very good '08 prospect for the future and maybe even a call-up. I'd say the same for Gaitens at the GOJHL or OJHL. Would probably do wonders for this guy too.

I'm assuming they automatically bring Headrick, Bilecki and Cameron on board. All three showed flashes. It will be interesting to see how Headrick pans out. Even Lam appeared to be noticeably taller than him on the ice, so he's not big. But he does play with a ton of heart and is quick, also possessing a quick release. A different type of player than the more finesse-like Lam. Headrick seems fearless in the corners and along the wall. With the talent and desire the kid has, any increase in physical size over the next few years could really work to his advantage. Admittedly, even at pick number 15, the Rangers seemed to go off the board with this selection. Mind you they did that with Mike Richards and Grayson Ladd in the past too. So we'll see what kind of player he turns into.

I'd say Xu would be a definite add should he decide to come back to main camp in my opinion.

Headrick's brother was 5'9" when he started with Erie. Left at 6 feet or so. He might grow yet.😊

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
I caught yesterday morning's "game" and will be there this morning as well.

Headrick.......this kid is fast, can wheel, and yes, can shoot. Scored a beaut of a goal. Looks small compared to Lam but according to the game sheet, he's the same height as Lam. Needs to hit the weight room and beef up for the season.

Avry Antsis had a good game and was noticed when he was on the ice. Always in on the action and focused.

Lebash....errrr....Lebrash.......was steady and worked out there. He was taking it easy out there on the other players....hey it's development camp....but did lay a hit in the 3rd that took the player off his feet and up on the boards. Lebrash didn't overdo it. If he would have, that player would have had to be scraped off the boards. He's the grit that Rangers could make good use of. As for Hlacar, nothing special. Noticed him more last year. We'll see.

Xu came as advertised and even came out of nowhere in the Team Blue zone for a nice shot on net.
Gaitens and Bilecki did their jobs and I'd like another look today before commenting. Cole Peters caught my eye. Will he do the same today?

Liked Schaubel in net. Made some great saves. In his interview, he was all about playing for the Rangers.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Be interesting to see who shows at camp today. When Hage was in camp he only stayed through the first day. Could be telling if some leave after the first scrimmages. Not sure what the rule is regarding the issue of eligibility of going to a US program.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

There’s something to be said for having certain players sign but play primarily at a lower level in their 16 year old season.

There’s no doubt it helped players like O’Reilly and Nichol in London, as well as Ellinas here. Neither looked like rookies this year.

Gaitens and Souter, as you say, could fit that bill. Looking back, would that have helped Lam better prepare for next year? Who knows? As an example, MacNiel looked very good in his brief post season appearance. He certainly didn’t play like a wide-eyed rookie. Could that be a direction we could go with Headrick?

As we saw with Lam this year, even after a good first half, he tapered off in the second half and had trouble standing up to the rigours of the post season.

Even though he was a 1st rounder, going off the board to take him (elite prospects had him ranked 53rd), combined with his size, it might make sense to follow the JrB strategy with him.

As our first rounder, I don’t really expect it to happen, but the reason I bring it up, is because we could very well be in a position to be able to ice more than the limit of four 16 year olds this year. As you said, if we assume we start the season with Headrick, Bilecki and Cameron, that only leaves one more spot. What if we are able to get both Xu and Anstis to sign. Both look physically better prepared for the rigours at this level than Headrick (though it’s way early) and if we pass on them for this year, do we lose them to the NCAA? These guys don’t appear to have commitments as of yet and it would be unfortunate if we lost one or both of them in a numbers game.

As I said earlier, it looks like we took fliers on Xu, Bray, Anstis and Hextall. Two have commitments for next season but it looks like two do not. Xu is probably the best 08 D at the rookie camp and we should be tripping over ourselves to get him signed. Once you look at how Anstis performed at this camp, and his numbers from last year, as you said, it might be wise to make room for him in September.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Hextall is a big fish if they could get him in a Ranger uni down the road. 93 points as a 14 year old. 88 at 15. Got the bloodlines of an NHLer. Doubt he comes but one never knows. Get disgruntled about his situation and he shows up at the Aud.
Wishful thinking I’d say. But wouldn’t it be nice?

We took LJ Mooney last year late. More wishful thinking.

Would being the host in ‘27 be enough for them to make the jump?

Reactions: Gondrex and bobber

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Be interesting to see who shows at camp today. When Hage was in camp he only stayed through the first day. Could be telling if some leave after the first scrimmages. Not sure what the rule is regarding the issue of eligibility of going to a US program.
Was anyone missing from the scrimmage today?

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Watched most games and best players in my opinion were:

Forwards (non returning)
Antsis
Cameron
Martin
Drennan showed quickness and compete
Wang one way offensive
Was expecting Souter to be better.

Dmen
Bilecki strong offensive instincts and vision
Xu showed flashes but not a presences every shift
Peters big kid with upside but seemed inconsistent
Bray smart and safe but smallish and needs time
Gaitens was non factor

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Hopefully anyone gets signed soon. Last year we signed 4 2007 pretty quick. Lots of teams have their 1st rounder signed already. We have no one signed yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad