Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
I really like this signing. It looks like MM is finally maybe staring to realize that we need some size, grit and physicality in our lineup. We definitely need to be more tougher to play against especially in the playoffs where the games become more physical. We’ve been far too easy to play against the past couple of post seasons as we’ve had no push back against more physical teams. It’s ok to have some smaller skilled guys but you need a good mix of grinders and skilled guys. Our lineup the past few seasons as been too many players with very similar styles. In regards to next season it need to be a development year and anyone who won’t be here in two years should be traded for assets in picks and younger players. We should have enough to get into the playoffs as a lower seed to get valuable experience for our younger core. I have faith in the coaching staff to get the most out of the roster.
I can still remember Jussi in a post game interview "They're trying to hurt my players." He was genuinely astonished. It was an OHL eye opener for sure. I can't help but think that Jussi and his coaching staff made a request for some toughness...some grit...when drafting this year.

MM: He uses his size and strength well on the ice and plays a hard game.

In the press release: Standing at 6-foot-3 and 205 pounds, Hlacar’s robust style of play and ability to dominate the ice make him a valuable asset for the Rangers as they continue to strengthen their lineup this offseason.

Mar 12, 2009
And he didn't seem to have the same urgency as he did last August. But he can play no doubt and could be a diamond in the rough.
Or he could be nothing. I hope he pans out, he brings something we need. See everyone excited but not trying to get my hopes up until I see him in an actual OHL game. Toughness is great unless you can't keep up; not very useful if you can't catch up to anyone to be tough on.

In a rebuild year it's a perfect gamble though, at worst you hopefully have a guy who can protect some of the younger guys when other teams get out of line.

Squirrel88

Jul 1, 2023
Or he could be nothing. I hope he pans out, he brings something we need. See everyone excited but not trying to get my hopes up until I see him in an actual OHL game. Toughness is great unless you can't keep up; not very useful if you can't catch up to anyone to be tough on.

In a rebuild year it's a perfect gamble though, at worst you hopefully have a guy who can protect some of the younger guys when other teams get out of line.
Easy to see Hlakar riding shotgun with Headrick and/or Arquette in a bottom 6 role. Maybe he draws in for some games and Cameron for others, depending on the opponent. Watching a bit of the dev camp, I thought Labrash was more skilled, so this signing feels like the coaching staff prioritizing physical play.

Kit has a lot of bodies to start the year, but that is good, as it gives them some flexibility at the trade deadline. Don't need players back in trades, necessarily.

I'm surprised that no one has taken a stab at a depth chart yet!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad