Kitchener Rangers 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Filip Mesar........article out of Slovakia....translated to English.......

17-year-old talented striker Filip Mešár has extended his contract with HK Poprad.
The hope of not only Poprad, but also Slovak hockey will not go overseas after the end of the current season. The native from Spišská Belá accepted the proposal to extend the cooperation with HK Poprad.

"I decided to stay in Poprad, I like the club in Poprad and the coaches also give me enough space. I am also satisfied with the management of the club and the conditions that I have here for my further progress, " said" Meško "after signing a new contract.

"I had enough offers from OHL and QMJHL, but after communicating with the agent, I decided that the best step for my career would still be to stay in Poprad," Mešár added regarding his decision.

"Filip is a valid player for us, with great potential to play big hockey. However, he still has to work hard on himself. We have dealt with his future with him and his agent and I think it is the best choice for his growth. It should not be forgotten that Filip has a great chance to go to the draft. I will not specify the length of the contract, but if an interesting offer comes for Filip, we can talk about it. But now we will focus on making HK Poprad still a valid player, " said Ľudovít Jurinyi, the club's director, after signing the contract.

Filip Mešár has spent his entire career in Poprad, where he made his A-team debut in the current season and scored 14 points (4 goals, 10 assists) in the basic part during 36 duels. He also represented Slovakia at the U20 World Cup in 2021, where he played two meetings.
RUDOLF ŠERÝ 06.04.2021 19:30

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Simon Motew....???

And an article on Motew and how he handled the pandemic. After this draft, he should be even hungier to show his talent.

OHL Veteran Motew Found New Home With His Hometown Chicago Cougars

Shocking that he wasn't picked. It's easy to say that it's because there was no season, but some of the players from the OHL that were selected over him were questionable to say the least.

Unfortunately for Motew, the theme of this draft was massive D men. Braden Hache (6'3 201) and Chandler Romeo (6'5 205) were both picked in the 7th round. They have played a combined 29 OHL games (all of them were Hache).

I'm not in any NHL war rooms, probably for good reason, but I would've thought come the later rounds when they're basically taking shots in the dark when it comes to the OHL, that they would prioritize skill and worry about the rest later. But instead they chose size and will find out if the players can play afterwards.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
One can only hope that the cheering continues at the Aug this fall...
upload_2021-7-28_8-13-32.png

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Possibly. I think he’s back. 4 points in 33 games isn’t exactly what you’d hope for with a guy like Sebrango. Get him a year of QBing the PP and developing his offensive side.
Feel the same. The OHL is not going to be a cakewalk and he could absolutely use the season to sharpen his skills and add to his special teams experience.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Once the NHL assigns the personnel from their taxi squads from last year’s Covid season back to the AHL, there will be few spots available to underaged pros.

LolaT200

Feb 10, 2020
I too think Sebrango could benefit from a year of offensive oriented play. However, Detroit has traded MacIlrath and Hicketts from Grand Rapids. This kind of leaves Sebrango as next in line. Lashoff will be back, but being in his mid thirties he's not in the Wings pipeline.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I too think Sebrango could benefit from a year of offensive oriented play. However, Detroit has traded MacIlrath and Hicketts from Grand Rapids. This kind of leaves Sebrango as next in line. Lashoff will be back, but being in his mid thirties he's not in the Wings pipeline.
I think they signed Ryan Murphy to fill one of those spots.

Reactions: JoelKRangers

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Rangers Promote Michael Zsolt to Assistant General Manager and Alex Robson to Director of Analytics.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
2021 Hlinka Gretzky tournament this week.......Slovaks beat the U.S. 5-2 and Mesar had two assists for the Slovaks

upload_2021-8-3_8-58-57.png

And Calle is playing for Sweden......
upload_2021-8-3_9-8-42.png

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Mesar was unreal today. He really is a wizard with the puck. He can play a bit of C but is much better on the wing. I wonder if he could come over and play not next season but in 2022-23 for Kitchener, allowing him to work closer with the nhl team that drafts him.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Feel the same. The OHL is not going to be a cakewalk and he could absolutely use the season to sharpen his skills and add to his special teams experience.
In a normal year I'd agree with this. Next season the OHL is going to be a cakewalk more than it's ever been before. All the top 2002's will be in the AHL and the league will be more than 50% rookies

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
In a normal year I'd agree with this. Next season the OHL is going to be a cakewalk more than it's ever been before. All the top 2002's will be in the AHL and the league will be more than 50% rookies

top six maybe, but I agree, veteran laden teams will dominate; and, I expect some serious rookie hurts early.
Maybe Sebrango or Foerster or … can return game 20 and learn being part of and leading a championship caliber team. But I’m not sure O’Rourke for example learns by crushing a 15 yr old never playing above bantam in the first weeks of the season.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
What is up with Sebrango? Was he at the World Junior Camp? Not a word about him in the news. TSN even had a segment where they were predicting the team. Very high on our forwards but when they got to the defence, they raved about Power and showed TWO OR THREE BLANKS!!! BLANKS! What does this mean? That they don't want to predict the defence? Did anyone else show up beside Power? I would expect more from TSN. Geez, Sebrango almost made the team last year. Should at least get a mention?

upload_2021-8-4_15-46-48.png

Reactions: JoelKRangers

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
What is up with Sebrango? Was he at the World Junior Camp? Not a word about him in the news. TSN even had a segment where they were predicting the team. Very high on our forwards but when they got to the defence, they raved about Power and showed TWO OR THREE BLANKS!!! BLANKS! What does this mean? That they don't want to predict the defence? Did anyone else show up beside Power? I would expect more from TSN. Geez, Sebrango almost made the team last year. Should at least get a mention?

View attachment 459293

Button doesn’t know very much. Couldn’t even pick 6 D, probably just the 4 names he knew. I’d say Power, Clarke and Guhle are the locks. Hunt is likely. I’d say Sebrango has a pretty good shot, but there are a lot of 03s coming in this year in Clarke, Ceulemans, Lambos (all 1st round picks) and Iorio (2nd round pick, late 02) who weren’t there last year because they were younger guys at the time.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Things have been very quiet around the OHL. Rangers currently sitting with 12 forwards, 5 defence and 2 goalies with about 4 weeks until camp. Couple things to address still.

For starters, the D core. They've got Sebrango, Xhekaj, Motew, Schmidt and LeBlanc. However, there's no guarantees that Sebrango is even here with the AHL 20 game exception this year. I figure they want to go into camp with at least 7 with that being said. Seems like Fegaras wants to go NCAA, so that really only leaves Calle Odelius and Matthew Andonovski. If Odelius isn't going to report, they're going to have to add someone, somehow. There will be a lot of OAs trying to find somewhere to play, so they could go that route. But if they add an OA, Dickerson is likely out and they don't have enough forwards.

On forward, they have 12 but will probably sign Cam Mercer to make it 13. If they do end up going with another OA on D instead of Dickerson, some other options within the organization are Kai Dunits, Dylan McFadden or Adam Zidlicky, though I'm not sure if any of them have NCAA intentions. Another interesting name is Florian Xhekaj, who, you guessed it, is the younger brother of Arber. Went undrafted in 2019 and was set to play in the GOJHL in his 16 year old season (sound familiar?) but obviously never ended up playing any games. Being able to crack a Jr. B squad as an undrafted 16 year old is a pretty decent feat given that each team can only have 2 16 year olds, and it seemed to work with Arber. Food for thought.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Button doesn’t know very much. Couldn’t even pick 6 D, probably just the 4 names he knew. I’d say Power, Clarke and Guhle are the locks. Hunt is likely. I’d say Sebrango has a pretty good shot, but there are a lot of 03s coming in this year in Clarke, Ceulemans, Lambos (all 1st round picks) and Iorio (2nd round pick, late 02) who weren’t there last year because they were younger guys at the time.
Yup, Button kept his mouth buttoned during worlds when Sebrango played. He would talk about anyone else but Sebrango. Why? Don't know but I wasn't the only one who caught this.

Question........IF Sebrango left Junior to play in the AHL, could he not be available?...

Reactions: MatthewsMoustache

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Things have been very quiet around the OHL. Rangers currently sitting with 12 forwards, 5 defence and 2 goalies with about 4 weeks until camp. Couple things to address still.

For starters, the D core. They've got Sebrango, Xhekaj, Motew, Schmidt and LeBlanc. However, there's no guarantees that Sebrango is even here with the AHL 20 game exception this year. I figure they want to go into camp with at least 7 with that being said. Seems like Fegaras wants to go NCAA, so that really only leaves Calle Odelius and Matthew Andonovski. If Odelius isn't going to report, they're going to have to add someone, somehow. There will be a lot of OAs trying to find somewhere to play, so they could go that route. But if they add an OA, Dickerson is likely out and they don't have enough forwards.

On forward, they have 12 but will probably sign Cam Mercer to make it 13. If they do end up going with another OA on D instead of Dickerson, some other options within the organization are Kai Dunits, Dylan McFadden or Adam Zidlicky, though I'm not sure if any of them have NCAA intentions. Another interesting name is Florian Xhekaj, who, you guessed it, is the younger brother of Arber. Went undrafted in 2019 and was set to play in the GOJHL in his 16 year old season (sound familiar?) but obviously never ended up playing any games. Being able to crack a Jr. B squad as an undrafted 16 year old is a pretty decent feat given that each team can only have 2 16 year olds, and it seemed to work with Arber. Food for thought.

This AHL exception really puts a wrench in things. I wonder how many other OHL teams are in the same situation?sAnd I'm not sure if either of Mesar or Odelius will show (both are playing in the Hlinka Gretzky Cup this week). And Fegaras would have been a nice add. Hoping that MM has something up his sleeve on all this.

Last edited:
Reactions: MatthewsMoustache

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
This AHL exception really puts a wrench in things. I wonder how many other OHL teams are in the same situation?
And I'm not sure if either of Mesar or Odelius will show. And Fegaras would have been a nice add. Hoping that MM has something up his sleeve on all this.

These are teams in the same conference as the Rangers that have similar concerns
Windsor-Jean Luc Luc Foudy-Cen
Erie-Jamie Drysdale-Def
SSM- Ryan O'Rourke-Def
Sag- Cole Perfetti-Cen
Sarnia- Jacob Perrault -C/RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->