Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Interesting interview on Spittin Chiclets today.

John Carlson.

It was a done deal he was coming to Kitchener. Talked to PD, Spott and Adam Graves in NY City. Done deal. He was telling everyone else that he was going NCAA.

The Hunters rained on the parade by taking a chance and drafting him. Carlson said they wouldn't even answer the phone when the Hunters called and they drafted him anyway having no inside deal or having even talked to him.
Wow. I didn't know that. Thx for posting ES.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Interesting interview on Spittin Chiclets today.

John Carlson.

It was a done deal he was coming to Kitchener. Talked to PD, Spott and Adam Graves in NY City. Done deal. He was telling everyone else that he was going NCAA.

The Hunters rained on the parade by taking a chance and drafting him. Carlson said they wouldn't even answer the phone when the Hunters called and they drafted him anyway having no inside deal or having even talked to him.

Is this something the league will investigate? Let’s be honest...it happens all the time. Money obviously is a bigger no no but I can’t see this being allowed in the rules.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Is this something the league will investigate? Let’s be honest...it happens all the time. Money obviously is a bigger no no but I can’t see this being allowed in the rules.

There’s nothing wrong with what transpired. Sounds like London heard he was going OHL for someone else and gambled he would report there.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
should it be investigated? yes. will it be? no.

inside deals are the worst kept secret in junior hockey. Biz rips London for it all the time on the podcast. money or not it hurts the league to have the Americans playing on 4 teams.

my least favourite part of that is that it paints Kitchener as the bad guys making inside deals and London as the outsider team that’s just “taking a shot” to people who might not be as familiar with the junior hockey scene. Kitchener may not be innocent but we it’s pretty common knowledge who the main culprits are if you follow the league

Reactions: Matttheleaf

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I'm not sure what anyone is talking about deals. Kitchener (DeBoer) talked to Carlson and his people before the draft. Teams talk to players all the time. Carlson was actually 18 years old and undrafted to that point. Kitchener was his choice for junior as he had committed to college. His prospect of playing pro had increased considerably in the recent couple of years and Carlson realized the OHL was his quickest path. London got in the way and drafted him then convinced him to report.

Nobody - and I mean nobody did anything wrong. Way too many people have conspiracy on the mind.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
I'm not sure what anyone is talking about deals. Kitchener (DeBoer) talked to Carlson and his people before the draft. Teams talk to players all the time. Carlson was actually 18 years old and undrafted to that point. Kitchener was his choice for junior as he had committed to college. His prospect of playing pro had increased considerably in the recent couple of years and Carlson realized the OHL was his quickest path. London got in the way and drafted him then convinced him to report.

Nobody - and I mean nobody did anything wrong. Way too many people have conspiracy on the mind.

PD has all the right to talk to Carlson....nothing wrong with that. I can’t believe he would have the right to tell Carlson to tell other teams that he is going NCAA and to not bother drafting him. Maybe you are allowed to do that but I really don’t think so. What will save the Rangers butt here is that they actually never drafted him. If they drafted him and then Carlson says what he said I think this is a much bigger deal.

Anyone actually know if that is a rule?

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
PD has all the right to talk to Carlson....nothing wrong with that. I can’t believe he would have the right to tell Carlson to tell other teams that he is going NCAA and to not bother drafting him. Maybe you are allowed to do that but I really don’t think so. What will save the Rangers butt here is that they actually never drafted him. If they drafted him and then Carlson says what he said I think this is a much bigger deal.

Anyone actually know if that is a rule?
I don’t imagine there is a hard and fast rule about telling a kid to be less then honest but as many have noted lots of teams if not all have probably done it? However I would guess this would fall under “conduct the reflects poorly on the league” and as such would be frowned upon. BUT the OHL wants John Carlson (and other stars) in the OHL and I believe that’s why the league looks the other way on it. As long as no money or financial gaining promises are made I don’t see it as a huge issue? Heck Lindros told Quebec don’t draft me I’m not coming so to some degree it’s similar? A player trying to dictate where they end up playing?

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
You can tell a kid to tell other teams anything you want. They don't have to listen to you. And other teams don't have to listen to them. It's all one big game and one big gamble. It happens all the time. Don't kid yourself - London has done it regularly. Where Deboer erred was in getting greedy and hoping to not have to bother wasting a pick on him to get him. That's a dice roll.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
You can tell a kid to tell other teams anything you want. They don't have to listen to you. And other teams don't have to listen to them. It's all one big game and one big gamble. It happens all the time. Don't kid yourself - London has done it regularly. Where Deboer erred was in getting greedy and hoping to not have to bother wasting a pick on him to get him. That's a dice roll.
We took Skinner in the first round and didn't have a 2nd round. I think that was appropriate. I'm guessing the plan was to take Carlson in the 3rd.

Reactions: JoelKRangers

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
It's all one big game and one big gamble. It happens all the time.

Exactly ...... I know it’s not possible anymore and would make “parity” even worse but I have always liked when a kid plays for his home team. Again not possible of course in today’s game as the big centres would most likely end up with lopsided talent levels but still like the home grown feeling of a roster.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Parents of elite level players know how the game is played without needing any coaching from the Deboers or Hunters of this world. Parents can say anything they want to any OHL teams without repercussions from the league.
The only issue is, if the teams enticed the parents with special perks and incentives. But this sounds like PD and the Carlson's just had a verbal deal which is 100% legit but the Hunters just drafted him before the Rangers could. I would imagine this happens to most players in the first few rounds in which teams talk to the families if their son will report to the team....much ado about nothing here!
* Parents should be involved where their sons play hockey for maybe the most important 3 to 5 yrs of their sons life!

Last edited:

ZTKL

Jan 8, 2018
At that age couldn't they have signed him as a free agent? or were the rules a bit different back then? Just seems strange that an 18 year old would get drafted into the OHL. Though I kind of feel if the Hunters heard anything about Carlson going to Kitchener, potentially as a third round pick or later, they wouldn't mind using a pick to block that from happening, even if he never showed up.

But don't these 'deals' happen all the time? I don't think Pinelli was taken 13th overall because 12 teams didn't think he was good enough to be their first pick..

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
At that age couldn't they have signed him as a free agent? or were the rules a bit different back then? Just seems strange that an 18 year old would get drafted into the OHL. Though I kind of feel if the Hunters heard anything about Carlson going to Kitchener, potentially as a third round pick or later, they wouldn't mind using a pick to block that from happening, even if he never showed up.

But don't these 'deals' happen all the time? I don't think Pinelli was taken 13th overall because 12 teams didn't think he was good enough to be their first pick..

it was made known that he told at least Windsor not to take him

Reactions: ZTKL

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener

Pinelli was ranked between 9 and 14 most of last year so it is not unreasonable for him to go 13th.

Mar 12, 2009
Pinelli was ranked between 9 and 14 most of last year so it is not unreasonable for him to go 13th.
Those rankings always included players with strong NCAA commitments who were 99% not coming to any OHL team (several of which were rated top 10). Out of players realistically willing to come to the OHL, he was 6-8 at worst...and we already know 1 OHL team had him as their preferred choice at 6.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Those rankings always included players with strong NCAA commitments who were 99% not coming to any OHL team (several of which were rated top 10). Out of players realistically willing to come to the OHL, he was 6-8 at worst...and we already know 1 OHL team had him as their preferred choice at 6.

Yes, I was including the NCAA commitments. Sort of fit in with the thread, I thought, so yes, minus those players, Pinelli was around 6-8. The first 5 or 6 went to script including the first 2 no brainers. I'm sure Windsor wanted Pinella but then they go way off the map and grab Wyatt Johnston who I don't think was even in the top 20 but still having not to bad of a year.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
He was rated 6th-7th routinely that I recall. Ask Hamilton and Windsor if they would have liked him to report there.
Yes, he was even as high as 5th. His agent knew he wouldn't report to certain teams and made it known. Rangers were fortunate to land him at 13th.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
This team is putting up a ton of points lately and kudos for reaching the top of the conference, but it needs to do serious work on the PP.

Also, I know he may not be top of mind league wide for league MVP, but Ingham has to be a slam dunk as team MVP this year. Dude is lights out just about every night.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
What do you guys think are the odds Ingham gets the start in Flint tomorrow? Start Pfeil, just to make sure Ingham stays fresh for playoffs (I’m looking out for you guys!) and we can both take a ton of penalties because Flint’s PP could use some work too.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I’d imagine Ingham goes again, he’s played back to back days already this year. Flint is the bigger game, if Pfiel was gonna get a start I’d say it would have been tonight.

And if Ingham plays like he did tonight, I’d say we’re going through the west. Couple posts in the 3rd, but that just means he had the angle ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad