Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Rangers won't make it too far in the play offs unless they can tighten up their game. They get a good lead and then try to hang on until the end. When they play like this they can't expect Ingham to save the game for them. Not sure how MM corrects this issue. Seems like a mental thing.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
It's not all on the defence. There was a line change in the second period that developed into what seemed like a 30 second 3 on 2. The guys coming out on the ice were so far back it seemed like they were just waiting for Ingham to make the save and freeze the puck or wait for the faceoff at centre ice. No urgency to get back in the play at all.

True. Most often it’s veteran forwards causing turnovers for the opposition. One example in the second yesterday, Meireles caused two turnovers during the same 4 on 4 trying to go end to end by himself. We were up 3-0 or 3-1 at the time.

No need for that individualism when you have high end linemates.

East Avenue Bully

Jan 9, 2020
All good points. If I was betting though, my money goes on a downtown location. The main complaint I hear about the Aud's location is there aren't any restaurants or drinking establishments within walking distance. It's a contained environment and thus doesn't add much value to the local economy. If the new building was downtown, people are more likely to go out for dinner before events or drinks after events. That will make it an easier sell that would help put more money into more local businesses.

Parking and road access would suck. Look at how dead downtown is after business hours. The Ranger season ticket holder fanbase aren't exactly the same demographic that enjoys taking in downtown Kitchener at night.

Reactions: All the Answers

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Parking and road access would suck. Look at how dead downtown is after business hours. The Ranger season ticket holder fanbase aren't exactly the same demographic that enjoys taking in downtown Kitchener at night.
1. The Rangers need to grow their demographic. By the time this arena is built, the people you are talking about will be 70+.

2. Downtown will be so different you won't recognize it by the time the new arena is built.

3. Although the Rangers will be the main tenant, they aren't going to be the only events held there. The 34 games plus playoffs will only be a fraction of the dates that fill the calendar.

East Avenue Bully

Jan 9, 2020
1. The Rangers need to grow their demographic. By the time this arena is built, the people you are talking about will be 70+.

2. Downtown will be so different you won't recognize it by the time the new arena is built.

3. Although the Rangers will be the main tenant, they aren't going to be the only events held there. The 34 games plus playoffs will only be a fraction of the dates that fill the calendar.

1) does it? The Rangers have more support than most OHL franchises.

2) Downtown is a mess to get to and out of. Compare retail and commercial use at night between downtown and the Boardwalk. Downtown has been and is a ghost town at night. Why did 570 News move from King Street? Why are businesses not coming downtown? Most of their workforce drive to work, be it from in the 519 or out of town. My business relocated from downtown because I couldn't get easy access/parking for my workforce or my customers.

9u8xaq6kxjc41.jpg

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitc...r-give-it-another-2-years-city-says-1.5413480
Kitchener's downtown is dealing with a high commercial vacancy rate, and any significant changes in the retail landscape could still be years off.

In the last four years, Legacy Greens founder Jordan Dolson said her grocery store has gone from a small pop-up shop to a steady business supplying fruits and veggies to people in the downtown core. "I'm really happy with being here," said Dolson

Dolson's store is a success story amid the empty storefronts that still dot downtown Kitchener.

Right now, the commercial vacancy rate in downtown Kitchener is just under 10 per cent — lower than it was just a few years ago, but still higher than what's considered a healthy vacancy rate of around three to five per cent.

3) Traffic and attendance is still heavily skewed towards the Rangers. Titans, Panthers, the pads and other uses such as convention shows all factor in, but the Rangers are still overwhelmingly the main draw. Use attendance instead of calendar dates.

Last edited:

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Rangers won't make it too far in the play offs unless they can tighten up their game. They get a good lead and then try to hang on until the end. When they play like this they can't expect Ingham to save the game for them. Not sure how MM corrects this issue. Seems like a mental thing.
They've done this before for sure. Absolutely can beat the team they're playing and once they get out in front, they think they have it and stop playing. I don't know if they think that they can do it without effort but that's what it seems like...and every time, they blow their lead and are lucky to escape with a point.

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
21-1-3 under MM! and some feel urgency is missing, how does he fix it? :)
IMO they have urgency when they're playing top teams but don't always have it when playing those teams in the lower levels of the standings. It's natural I guess...and not just the Rangers have fallen victim to it....but it's something that they need to correct as a team. If they truly want to go deep into the playoffs and perhaps beyond, they need to develop a mindset that treats every game as if it's their last and keep the pedal down even when they're in the lead.

Reactions: dirty12
Mar 12, 2009
there has been a trend for a while, regardless of coach it seems, where the team just struggles to get up and play a full 60 on sunday 2pm days. Not sure what to make of it, just something to think about.

Reactions: rangersblues

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
IMO they have urgency when they're playing top teams but don't always have it when playing those teams in the lower levels of the standings. It's natural I guess...and not just the Rangers have fallen victim to it....but it's something that they need to correct as a team. If they truly want to go deep into the playoffs and perhaps beyond, they need to develop a mindset that treats every game as if it's their last and keep the pedal down even when they're in the lead.

agree. Though to deny the 3rd period Missy comeback, someone would of had to ‘Bobby Clarke’ Schwindt.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener

The urgency is that we need to finish at the top of the conference ensuring us favourable opponents and home ice for the playoffs. That is why we needed to beat Missy and everyone that follows. We can't always count on Saginaw and London losing.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
If we clean things up and play the way we can, I'm not overly concerned about home ice. It would be nice but not absolutely necessary.

Mar 12, 2009
not getting top seed really hurt Guelph last year. Obviously it would be best to finish first, but not doing so is not going to be the be-all-end-all, and emphasizing it's importance because of 1 disappointing loss is a bit of an exaggerated response imo. We've lost 1 game in regulation since MM took over, you'll have to excuse me if one disappointing loss doesn't deeply worry me.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
not getting top seed really hurt Guelph last year. Obviously it would be best to finish first, but not doing so is not going to be the be-all-end-all, and emphasizing it's importance because of 1 disappointing loss is a bit of an exaggerated response imo. We've lost 1 game in regulation since MM took over, you'll have to excuse me if one disappointing loss doesn't deeply worry me.

There’ll be a big difference between last year’s 5th seed and this year’s. Guelph had an easy out for a first round opponent last year. There was never any danger of that series going long.

This year’s 5th seed could very well oust the 4th seed and it wouldn’t be considered an upset.

It was a disappointing loss on Sunday. As a stand alone. I wouldn’t be worried either. But it finally came after a series of disappointing efforts in multiple games where we held a comfortable lead early.

Big difference.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I agree but at the same time we need to see improvement in the areas of concern. That's what true contending teams do.I confident we will.
I remember back to the Deboer coached teams and I always saw a trend the last 15 to 20 games of the season that the team would always concentrate on tidying up the defensive assignments. I don't see how or why this team can't follow that model.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
They've done this before for sure. Absolutely can beat the team they're playing and once they get out in front, they think they have it and stop playing. I don't know if they think that they can do it without effort but that's what it seems like...and every time, they blow their lead and are lucky to escape with a point.

I think it’s kind of that time of the year. WJC is over, trade deadline is past, 8 out of 10 teams in the Conference make the playoffs, weather sucks, blah, blah, blah. Knock another 10-12 games off the schedule then all of the “big boy” teams will start to bear down. Can’t imagine the Rangers with their history of success and the talent on this year’s team won’t be ready to go come playoffs?

You’re (Rangers) not alone when it comes to kind of bumbling along doing enough to win games they probably could have worked a little harder or played better in? Staying healthy is the biggest key at this time of the year.

Reactions: rangersblues

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Interesting interview on Spittin Chiclets today.

John Carlson.

It was a done deal he was coming to Kitchener. Talked to PD, Spott and Adam Graves in NY City. Done deal. He was telling everyone else that he was going NCAA.

The Hunters rained on the parade by taking a chance and drafting him. Carlson said they wouldn't even answer the phone when the Hunters called and they drafted him anyway having no inside deal or having even talked to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad