Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
Taking a page out of the Maple Leaf Gardens book, I can see them converting that huge property on East Ave into condos or housing. As for the new location, they have a ton of space on the LRT line on the corner of Courtland and Block Line. Might have to buy some CN land but there is lots there.

I know there was talk years ago about building towards the west end (going towards Stratford) cause there is still the highway access and plenty of land. However I've heard chatter from within the city (I work for the city of Kitchener) that there is land that could be used towards the Huron heights area.

Reactions: three dog night

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Going to be interesting to follow over the next few years. I know we have talked about it on here many a time, but I'm very curious about what they will do in terms of location. My guess is they stay where they are, but who knows at this point.

There was much discussion/debate on here and by fans in general in the past mentioning site possibilities around town, the current site and downtown.

But to my knowledge, the only site possibility ever seriously discussed by anyone connected to the city or the Rangers was downtown Kitchener. All about revitalizing the downtown.

Therefore, I think we can forget any possibility of there being anything but a downtown arena in this city’s future regarding a replacement for the Aud.

Reactions: dirty12

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
There was much discussion/debate on here and by fans in general in the past mentioning site possibilities around town, the current site and downtown.

But to my knowledge, the only site possibility ever seriously discussed by anyone connected to the city or the Rangers was downtown Kitchener. All about revitalizing the downtown.

Therefore, I think we can forget any possibility of there being anything but a downtown arena in this city’s future regarding a replacement for the Aud.

If that's the case I'll miss all the side street free parking that comes with the AUDs location.

Reactions: SYWTom

echothree

Nov 20, 2019
Now that they’ve built the LRT it would shock me if a new arena wasn’t somewhere right near the LRT line.

If you are interested in a possible way to build an arena using a new concept that keeps fans close to the action, watch the video here: www.theinvertedbowl.com . It also can be built on a smaller footprint than a traditional arena.

Reactions: three dog night

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If that's the case I'll miss all the side street free parking that comes with the AUDs location.

For those that wish to get to and from a game quickly and efficiently, home to game to home, a downtown arena is not for you. Not really.

Traffic/parking will be headaches and will mean you’ll have to leave earlier to get to games and it’ll take you longer to get home. If you’re a senior, which a ton of season ticket holders are (just look around), it means likely walking much further than you do now; often in inclement weather, from a parking lot to the building.

But they won’t care about that because they’ll push public transit as an alternative to the headache and cost (paid parking) of driving to a game.

Personally, I love the current building and current location. I was relieved when a new downtown arena was turned down in favour of renovating the Aud a few years ago. Celebrated it actually.

But if they do deside to build a new one downtown, by the time it’s opened up, I’ll be close to being one of those seniors I mentioned above and will likely stop going to games.

But I suppose we’ll get the same line about a new downtown arena that we got about the LRT that the majority of the tax paying public didn’t want:

They aren’t building it for us but for our kids and grandkids.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
But I suppose we’ll get the same line about a new downtown arena that we got about the LRT that the majority of the tax paying public didn’t want:

I agreed with everything you said right up to that last statement which is actually an often-repeated falsehood. Any survey done throughout the course of the project showed at least a slim minority did want the LRT and some surveys had it much closer to a majority. But I digress.

The points about convenience are valid. I look no further than my section and I guarantee well over half would never walk or take transit to a downtown arena.

Reactions: rangersblues

moose311

Dec 30, 2015
Maybe it's different with Junior hockey/arena's because they are smaller, but historically cities/tax payers end up paying for new arena's without reaping the rewards of the revenue it generates. Makes the relatively recent renovation/seat additions kind of pointless imo.

When they did they renovations, they knew it would extend the life of the Aud by about 15 years. We're halfway there now.

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Brown talks about next seasons team in his gameday article. says 1 or 2 D men likely for sale as we expected. the forward group is very thin. I’d assume Langdon will break out with steady top 6 minutes and Valade/Pinelli likely take the ropes as the scorers up front. Petizian/McDonnell should have themselves a nice season. Sop is very intriguing to me and I assume they’ll bring Mitchell Martin in as well. if I had to make my super early opening day lineup projections I’d guess:

import-Langdon-Valade
Pinelli-Petizian-McDonnell
Sop-Serpa-Fishman
Martin-04-Dickerson

Xhekaj-Sebrango
MacPherson-Ottavainen
Wale-Motew

Purcell
Wu

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
When they did they renovations, they knew it would extend the life of the Aud by about 15 years. We're halfway there now.

When they said it would extend the life of the Aud by 15 years, what did they mean? That our growing population would be such that we’d need a bigger building because the current one wouldn’t be big enough?

If that’s what they meant, then the fact that attendance has leveled off along with the evaporation of the STH waiting list tells me the need for a building with greater capacity may not be there.

If they meant that that in 15 years we’d be needing a new building because of comfort reasons, amenities, etc, then that’s another story.

East Avenue Bully

Jan 9, 2020
Maybe it's different with Junior hockey/arena's because they are smaller, but historically cities/tax payers end up paying for new arena's without reaping the rewards of the revenue it generates. Makes the relatively recent renovation/seat additions kind of pointless imo.

Except in this case, the City operates it and garners the use of the fields and rinks. Check out the staff emails of Ranger admin (@kitchener.ca) and the Zamboni drivers/rink staff are mostly city employees.

East Avenue Bully

Jan 9, 2020
Taking a page out of the Maple Leaf Gardens book, I can see them converting that huge property on East Ave into condos or housing. As for the new location, they have a ton of space on the LRT line on the corner of Courtland and Block Line. Might have to buy some CN land but there is lots there.

A developer had plans for that location (four 38 story buildings). If that goes up, no way anything else fits there.
Four tall towers proposed on Courtland Avenue concern residents in Kitchener
https://www.kitchener.ca/en/resourc..._Courtland-Blockline_NIM-2---Presentation.pdf

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
The new arena will probably need to built on existing city owned land. The costs to expropriate\but land would be extremely time consuming and expensive.
I really lIke the clock tower site but the odds of that site being used is very very small. I think the existing site is the most likely for so many reasons. Would like to see if the city could sever some of that site or have a long term lease for maybe a hotel or a convention centre to go along with new arena. The baseball and soccer fields may need to be relocated with this idea. Would Knollwood Park across the street on East Ave be a possible home for the Panthers? The parking would still be available in the present location. BTW I suspect we'll see the end of free parking and a crack down on bringing in your own food and drinks. Contrary to popular belief money doesn't grow on trees.
It will be interesting to see what capacity they propose? Maybe top out at about 9000 but have future expansion in mind to increase it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matttheleaf

dmead

Jan 12, 2018
London
I for one would truly miss coming to the Aud. What a unique facility and game experience. Not many away arenas I enjoy, but the Aud is one for sure.

That Inverted Bowl design is intruiging isn't it?

Mar 12, 2009
For those that wish to get to and from a game quickly and efficiently, home to game to home, a downtown arena is not for you. Not really.

Traffic/parking will be headaches and will mean you’ll have to leave earlier to get to games and it’ll take you longer to get home. If you’re a senior, which a ton of season ticket holders are (just look around), it means likely walking much further than you do now; often in inclement weather, from a parking lot to the building.

But they won’t care about that because they’ll push public transit as an alternative to the headache and cost (paid parking) of driving to a game.

Personally, I love the current building and current location. I was relieved when a new downtown arena was turned down in favour of renovating the Aud a few years ago. Celebrated it actually.

But if they do deside to build a new one downtown, by the time it’s opened up, I’ll be close to being one of those seniors I mentioned above and will likely stop going to games.

They aren’t building it for us but for our kids and grandkids.
I mean, it is for the future and younger people aren't buying cars as frequently. I get the "I won't use it so no one wants it" mindset, but it's inaccurate.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Brown talks about next seasons team in his gameday article. says 1 or 2 D men likely for sale as we expected. the forward group is very thin. I’d assume Langdon will break out with steady top 6 minutes and Valade/Pinelli likely take the ropes as the scorers up front. Petizian/McDonnell should have themselves a nice season. Sop is very intriguing to me and I assume they’ll bring Mitchell Martin in as well. if I had to make my super early opening day lineup projections I’d guess:

import-Langdon-Valade
Pinelli-Petizian-McDonnell
Sop-Serpa-Fishman
Martin-04-Dickerson

Xhekaj-Sebrango
MacPherson-Ottavainen
Wale-Motew

Purcell
Wu

I'm much less worried about next year now because when you develop your players, the future is always okay. It was the complete and utter lack of development and often regression that made me look at next year and see a black hole. The lineup you propose could be a lot better than it looks on paper when you factor in how much better some of those players will be now that MM has them growing.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I mean, it is for the future and younger people aren't buying cars as frequently. I get the "I won't use it so no one wants it" mindset, but it's inaccurate.

I’m thinking that a new downtown building is undesirable to the traditional, older STH. A new building on the same site as the Aud? Maybe a different story.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'm much less worried about next year now because when you develop your players, the future is always okay. It was the complete and utter lack of development and often regression that made me look at next year and see a black hole. The lineup you propose could be a lot better than it looks on paper when you factor in how much better some of those players will be now that MM has them growing.

We’re not contending next year so I’m not too worried. Next year is a rebuilding/development year. Except for the two OA D, all return for 21-22 where we cash in on next year’s development season.

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
I for one would truly miss coming to the Aud. What a unique facility and game experience. Not many away arenas I enjoy, but the Aud is one for sure.

That Inverted Bowl design is intruiging isn't it?
Yes it is very interesting. I wonder what it would be like to play in an arena shaped like that and what it would be like to watch from all the way at the top.

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
Last year the top 4 in the west were seen as the favorites with teams 5-8 given little chance to do anything in the playoffs. Do people fell that way again this year with the points separation between 4 and 5 or does it feel like anyone could upset the top seeds this year?

Reactions: JoelKRangers

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
If you’re hoping for more big acts to stop at the new arena. You need it to have all the bells and whistles and be slightly improved/larger capacity then competing buildings. I think 10, 000 is a good number.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
At least we don't have the City of Cambridge council trying to decide where the arena is going. We'll need at least 10 yrs to plan the arena...then another 10 yrs to complain about it then the environmental studies. Then there's a strong possibility a species of insects is found on the site. Which means another 12 year study to how to preserve them. Then someone will be offended about something and we'll need to unoffend them........rinse.....wash......repeat

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad