Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Good, that they got up 3-0. Not good that Oshawa tied it. Good that they got the lead again. Not good that Oshawa dominated in the third and out shot the Ranger 15-7 and scored to make it close at 5-4. Good that Pfiel made massive saves throughout and especially in the 3rd. Good that Meireles got the empty netter.

Nice to get 5 wins in a row, but there are still some holes on this team and issues with depth.

We're still only 8th in our conference. 2 points behind the Soo and Owen Sound (who beat the Knights in London) and 2 ahead of the Greyhounds.

A few upgrades will still not get us past the 2nd round, especially after others above us upgrade.

These wins have been nice. The games have been good. It's still a sell year. One that will bring us a solid future with incoming players and draft picks.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
London would gladly take Yantzis,Hawel and Vuk .
Thanks from Dale.
Trouble with making trades with the Hunters they will skin you alive and hang your hide on the barn door if you look the wrong way. They sent a player to Kitchener once with a broken wing. They usually only give up players that look like they have an upside but have really leveled out. They could sell refrigerators to the Eskimos.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Rangers played a great game last night compared to what we have seen under McKee. They did give up the lead. Normally that would have resulted in a loss. Oshawa is not chopped liver. They are a solid team. Rangers scored some timely goals and came out with a win. They still make mistakes but that's hockey. Oshawa made them also. Passing and effort are 100% better. Vuks with four points .

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
What a great game last night! It had everything in it and the Rangers came out to play. More energy than I've seen in a long time and yes, a crowd that was in the game too. That was no roll over team they played last night as evidenced by their comeback. But did the Rangers fold? NO. They played with a lot of grit....yes grit....last night from Serpa all the up to Meireles.

Did they make mistakes? Sure. So did Oshawa. Was there some weird officiating? There was...and quite a few huddles LOL. Did they let off the gas a bit in the 3rd? Yup....and Oshawa pushed....but to no avail. Did our backup goalie do his job? Sure did! Pfeil was fighting for that puck and made some saves that kept Oshawa off the board.

I enjoyed the game thoroughly. The team is re-energized and showing what they can really do with a positive attitude and solid effort. This is the team I expected to see this season and I do hope it continues. Only they can control that.

Big win for OS over London last night (one might say a whooping...). Going to be a barn burner tonight.

Reactions: GeoBlue

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Trouble with making trades with the Hunters they will skin you alive and hang your hide on the barn door if you look the wrong way. They sent a player to Kitchener once with a broken wing. They usually only give up players that look like they have an upside but have really leveled out. They could sell refrigerators to the Eskimos.

Deals with London haven’t all been bad. Chris MacKinnon worked out here. And it was Hiebrrt’s own fault about Leroux. It was public knowledge about his shoulder. That’s on Hiebert to do his due diligence on the health of incoming players.

Reactions: bobber

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
too bad the cupboard is bare, a couple adds and this team could be a contender but I think sell is the only option for the future.:(

what do you mean by bare cupboards, not enough surplus to acquire a WJC type and another high end player while keeping all the best young players and maintain a full compliment of picks? Who does?
3-2nds, 9-3rds, 5-4ths, 2-*4ths over the next 5 drafts is at least average.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Nice win last night. Nice to see the guys have some success on the ice.

But for me, I’m still in the sell camp. I got a kick out of Farwell last night on the post game show for the fans who were behind selling off at the deadline to “bring in on” and “how can we sell now” because we are now on a five game winning streak implying that we’ve turned the ship around and this is now a season where we can contend. Pope said as much on the latest podcast. “Shoot your shot” he said about this year’s team.

In my opinion, our five gamer really doesn’t mean a lot except that streaks happen from time to time and we could just as quickly go on a five game losing streak. Is it a good thing? Sure it is. But it doesn’t change the makeup of our roster, the depth/quality of our asset base, or the depth/quality of the rosters and asset bases of the true contenders in the west.

Farwell said with the win last night we are now in 8th place in the conference and how can we be sellers? I can use the same logic and ask that with Kingston going 7-2-1 in their last 10, and three wins in a row, does that mean they can contend this year too? They were last in the east before that run and now sit 8th. We were last in the west before this five gamer and now sit 8th.

Not ripping on Farwell here (just his view on contending) because others likely have the same thoughts - including a few that called in last night.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
what do you mean by bare cupboards, not enough surplus to acquire a WJC type and another high end player while keeping all the best young players and maintain a full compliment of picks? Who does?

Three 2nds and nine thirds is not average. (4ths and 5ths aren’t in big demand at the deadline)

Other contenders have close to double the 2nds we have and some have more. Our bank of 3rds is healthy but don’t make up for the lack of 2nds.

To get the two players the calibre you mention would wipe out all our 2nds and 3rds and still wouldn’t be enough since we aren’t willing to part with our 2019 first rounder while other contenders might be willing to.

Plus, if we were to empty the cupboard of 2nds and 3rds, good luck contending in the next couple of years. Selling off Vukojovic next year wouldn’t come close to giving us enough picks to go all in again n 21-22.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
And your point is?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Three 2nds and nine thirds is not average. (4ths and 5ths aren’t in big demand at the deadline)

Other contenders have close to double the 2nds we have and some have more. Our bank of 3rds is healthy but don’t make up for the lack of 2nds.

To get the two players the calibre you mention would wipe out all our 2nds and 3rds and still wouldn’t be enough since we aren’t willing to part with our 2019 first rounder while other contenders might be willing to.

Plus, if we were to empty the cupboard of 2nds and 3rds, good luck contending in the next couple of years. Selling off Vukojovic next year wouldn’t come close to giving us enough picks to go all in again n 21-22.
I agree. Pinelli is a future captain so he has to be untouchable. To build a contender you have to bite the bullet and know when you should make some trades to improve the team for the upcoming seasons. I think this is a good year to do this. As fans we never know what the management is thinking though.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

But for me, I’m still in the sell camp. I got a kick out of Farwell last night on the post game show for the fans who were behind selling off at the deadline to “bring in on” and “how can we sell now” because we are now on a five game winning streak implying that we’ve turned the ship around and this is now a season where we can contend. Pope said as much on the latest podcast. “Shoot your shot” he said about this year’s team.

In my opinion, our five gamer really doesn’t mean a lot except that streaks happen from time to time and we could just as quickly go on a five game losing streak. Is it a good thing? Sure it is. But it doesn’t change the makeup of our roster, the depth/quality of our asset base, or the depth/quality of the rosters and asset bases of the true contenders in the west.

Farwell said with the win last night we are now in 8th place in the conference and how can we be sellers? I can use the same logic and ask that with Kingston going 7-2-1 in their last 10, and three wins in a row, does that mean they can contend this year too? They were last in the east before that run and now sit 8th. We were last in the west before this five gamer and now sit 8th.

Not ripping on Farwell here (just his view on contending) because others likely have the same thoughts - including a few that called in last night.

with S.Wright & 10-11 2001 born, Kingston might be in a pickle similar to Kitchener now; but, these teams are in no way comparables this season.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
What a great game last night! It had everything in it and the Rangers came out to play. More energy than I've seen in a long time and yes, a crowd that was in the game too. That was no roll over team they played last night as evidenced by their comeback. But did the Rangers fold? NO. They played with a lot of grit....yes grit....last night from Serpa all the up to Meireles.

Did they make mistakes? Sure. So did Oshawa. Was there some weird officiating? There was...and quite a few huddles LOL. Did they let off the gas a bit in the 3rd? Yup....and Oshawa pushed....but to no avail. Did our backup goalie do his job? Sure did! Pfeil was fighting for that puck and made some saves that kept Oshawa off the board.

I enjoyed the game thoroughly. The team is re-energized and showing what they can really do with a positive attitude and solid effort. This is the team I expected to see this season and I do hope it continues. Only they can control that.

Big win for OS over London last night (one might say a whooping...). Going to be a barn burner tonight.

Weird officiating? Yeah, did anyone catch that one play where I think it was Bergkvist made a long stretch pass to Meireles from behind his net to Oshawa's blueline and they blew it down. I thought it was off side but then the faceoff was in the Oshawa zone? Did I miss something?

Good to see some hitting and grit for a change. After X man got into that early fight, you could feel and hear the fans buzzing. And I was impressed with Serpa as he doesn't seem to back off from hitting the bigger guys.

It was a great game but let's not forget that both teams basically played with their backup goaltenders. 19 shots on net by both teams in the 1st and 6 goals. Pfeil was the usual Pfeil in that 1st period. But he put it together when he really had to in the 3rd and made some great saves. Vuk had the 4 assists, played a solid game and made a couple of "saves" as well.

Reactions: EvenSteven

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener

Yeah, I wonder about these guys sometimes. I turned on the radio and for the first 2 or 3 minutes, all I heard was babbling, interruptions and arguing of some sort. I was ready to turn it off as it was giving me a headache. Heard the "bring it on" comment.........then turned off the radio.

Mar 12, 2009
If people say the cupbards are bare enough times, others will just believe it to be true. I guess it's human nature to focus on the negatives more than the positives, but it does get a bit tiring.

I think everyone agree's it is a sell type year, I fail to see the point in reiterating this after every. Single. Game. Just seems redundant at this point.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Yeah, I wonder about these guys sometimes. I turned on the radio and for the first 2 or 3 minutes, all I heard was babbling, interruptions and arguing of some sort. I was ready to turn it off as it was giving me a headache. Heard the "bring it on" comment.........then turned off the radio.

That babbling is part of their schtick - trying to be a hip, humorous broadcast. Juvenile to say the least.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
with S.Wright & 10-11 2001 born, Kingston might be in a pickle similar to Kitchener now; but, these teams are in no way comparables this season.

True enough. We have elite OA’s while the Fronts do not. We have comparable 2nds and 3rds. But the strength of their team seems to be 18 years old and younger while ours is 17 years old and younger.

They look to be in better shape than us to make noise next year. It could be argued that this year we are in the same boat that they were in last year. They sold off large after a contending season and that’ll set them up pretty good for next year.

If we sell off this year it could set us up good for the next two.

The only reason I brought up Kingston was to critique Farwell’s reasoning that all of a sudden we should be buyers instead of sellers.

Of course, his opening to the post game show last night regarding this could have been just a way the roust the listenership to call in. That’s actually good radio.

Reactions: dirty12

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If people say the cupbards are bare enough times, others will just believe it to be true. I guess it's human nature to focus on the negatives more than the positives, but it does get a bit tiring.

I think everyone agree's it is a sell type year, I fail to see the point in reiterating this after every. Single. Game. Just seems redundant at this point.

If people say the sky is blue enough times, people will believe that to be true as well. But just as with our draft pick situation, all you have to do is look up at the sky yourself to see if it’s actually blue or not.

Compared to other contenders, our draft pick cupboard is weak. It can be looked up.

Mar 12, 2009
If people say the sky is blue enough times, people will believe that to be true as well. But just as with our draft pick situation, all you have to do is look up at the sky yourself to see if it’s actually blue or not.

Compared to other contenders, our draft pick cupboard is weak. It can be looked up.
ya compared to a couple top teams, that doesn't make it "bare" in general, which is often said. It's also redundant to mention it every other day.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Weird officiating? Yeah, did anyone catch that one play where I think it was Bergkvist made a long stretch pass to Meireles from behind his net to Oshawa's blueline and they blew it down. I thought it was off side but then the faceoff was in the Oshawa zone? Did I miss something?

Good to see some hitting and grit for a change. After X man got into that early fight, you could feel and hear the fans buzzing. And I was impressed with Serpa as he doesn't seem to back off from hitting the bigger guys.

It was a great game but let's not forget that both teams basically played with their backup goaltenders. 19 shots on net by both teams in the 1st and 6 goals. Pfeil was the usual Pfeil in that 1st period. But he put it together when he really had to in the 3rd and made some great saves. Vuk had the 4 assists, played a solid game and made a couple of "saves" as well.

I have to agree with the level of hitting, grit and physicality that this team is displaying since the coaching change. It has to be the number one most noticeable aspect of this team right now and it is refreshing to say the least.

Despite us getting out to a three nothing lead in the first period last night, by the end of the first. I thought we were lucky to be tied. There could easily have been a couple more goals for Oshawa based on those posts that were hit in the first. Kudos to Pfiel for the way he rebounded in the rest of the game though. However, last night further displayed the need to trade for a veteran number one goalie.

I liked the Yantsis and Stepien goals in the first. They displayed a definite no quit attitude around the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->