Kitchener Rangers 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I have issue with the coach along Farwell and Pope tonight saying none of the 20 players on the ice played any good.

Pfeil played decent when he came in only allowing one goal in the 20+ minutes he played.

And McHugh always plays good. Always. He's putting points on the board on a regular basis. His intensity, work ethic, and defensive play is second to none on this squad. He covered all bases tonight. He's the heart and soul of this team and if MM knows what he's doing, he'll get a decent return for him at the deadline. I'd hate to see him go but we're rebuilding.

This team still hasn't named a captain yet. But to be honest, this team's captain wears #21. We don't need to see the letter on his sweater to know.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I have issue with the coach along Farwell and Pope tonight saying none of the 20 players on the ice played any good.

Pfeil played decent when he came in only allowing one goal in the 20+ minutes he played.

And McHugh always plays good. Always. He's putting points on the board on a regular basis. His intensity, work ethic, and defensive play is second to none on this squad. He covered all bases tonight. He's the heart and soul of this team and if MM knows what he's doing, he'll get a decent return for him at the deadline. I'd hate to see him go but we're rebuilding.

This team still hasn't named a captain yet. But to be honest, this team's captain wears #21. We don't need to see the letter on his sweater to know.

McKee hasn't been a good coach and has done nothing to warrant even being considered a good coach if you ask me. I see shades of Troy Smith in him. Except I think Smith is better at assessing talent.

Another game that Luke Richardson undeservedly started. Getting sick of the decision to put him in. Hey its nice that your sticking by your guy but enough is enough. Since the beg of october he has allowed 4 or more goals in 9 of his last 16 games including his last 4 games. In 10 games he has less then a .900 save percentage in 19 games. Some of this is a team issue but he's allowed countless amount of goals in the opening minutes of the game. I am not trying to hate on the guy but we know what he is as a goalie, league average is his peak. Lets see what we got in Pfeil.

I am just thinking that its clear he isn't going to turn into much. Why not give Pfeil a block of starts? I have doubts he would fair much better but this is the season to say F*** it. who cares. Get guys into the line, get rid of the ones who aren't working and hope to god something in someone develops lol.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
McKee hasn't been a good coach and has done nothing to warrant even being considered a good coach if you ask me. I see shades of Troy Smith in him. Except I think Smith is better at assessing talent.

Another game that Luke Richardson undeservedly started. Getting sick of the decision to put him in. Hey its nice that your sticking by your guy but enough is enough. Since the beg of october he has allowed 4 or more goals in 9 of his last 16 games including his last 4 games. In 10 games he has less then a .900 save percentage in 19 games. Some of this is a team issue but he's allowed countless amount of goals in the opening minutes of the game. I am not trying to hate on the guy but we know what he is as a goalie, league average is his peak. Lets see what we got in Pfeil.

I am just thinking that its clear he isn't going to turn into much. Why not give Pfeil a block of starts? I have doubts he would fair much better but this is the season to say F*** it. who cares. Get guys into the line, get rid of the ones who aren't working and hope to god something in someone develops lol.
I mostly agree with everything . I have to admit I'm slightly hesitant about your assessment of McKee. Right now I would say there is a limited amount of development as witnessed by the success on the pp. It has looked good at times. Frankly Hugg and Damiani have exceeded my expectations. They can play against any line in the league and more than hold their own. Yantsis too.

That said our bottom 2 lines have shown next to nothing. I think a lot of the problem is our young guys aren't being given opportunity to play especially in high leverage situations. At any rate I definitely agree with your assessment on the goaltending situation as well as your final statement on overall player evaluation. I think McKee and staff get until the end of the season to prove themselves. If McKee is cut loose, the last thing I want is another in house promotion. Time to clean the slate.

I was also disappointed with what MM said in the Josh Brown article. I realize we need patience, but we also need to see progress.

Kitchener Rangers GM Mike McKenzie preaches patience in roller-coaster year

Reactions: SebJHockey

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario

Amen to that. McHugh works his tail off every shift and even when he doesn't succeed, it's never due to a lack of effort or good intentions. Meireles isn't far off in that category. He usually leaves it all out there too and does everything he can to create.

The sad reality is this team just has not uncovered enough talent in the drafts the last several years.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The sad reality is this team just has not uncovered enough talent in the drafts the last several years.

Agreed on the uncovering of talent part. As usual, look down the 401 in London. Their scouting is second to none. They uncover talent so much so that they have the luxury of being able to trade off players that cannot make their roster who are OHL players in order to help stock the cupboard. As a result, they are contending much more than they are rebuilding. The odd year they do sell off they further stock the cupboard to the point where it's overflowing.

Going into this year, after selling off last year, they are right back at the top again. That is the result of good talent evaluation. Not only are they back at the top again, their cupboard is overflowing with high picks. They could make a trade like Niagara just made with Kingston with their eyes closed and still not put much of a dent in that cupboard.

Other teams go all in and it takes a while to crawl back to the top. Not these guys. And the primary reason for this is their scouting.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I mostly agree with everything . I have to admit I'm slightly hesitant about your assessment of McKee. Right now I would say there is a limited amount of development as witnessed by the success on the pp. It has looked good at times. Frankly Hugg and Damiani have exceeded my expectations. They can play against any line in the league and more than hold their own. Yantsis too.

That said our bottom 2 lines have shown next to nothing. I think a lot of the problem is our young guys aren't being given opportunity to play especially in high leverage situations. At any rate I definitely agree with your assessment on the goaltending situation as well as your final statement on overall player evaluation. I think McKee and staff get until the end of the season to prove themselves. If McKee is cut loose, the last thing I want is another in house promotion. Time to clean the slate.

I was also disappointed with what MM said in the Josh Brown article. I realize we need patience, but we also need to see progress.

Kitchener Rangers GM Mike McKenzie preaches patience in roller-coaster year

I think that's fair. In the end, I just feel like he wasn't the best choice as a head coach. 1 year as an assistant in the OHL doesn't warrant a head coaching position for a prestigious organization like Kitchener. I just personally see traits of Troy Smith in McKee, Neither coach is aggressive. Lack of line up movement, etc.

Last thing I want to see is an in house promotion as well although I do like Andreas Karlsson> I feel like MM is grooming him to one day take the reigns anyways as it was his guy I believe. The players seem to really stick to him. But all I want to see is the next head coach better be the best one available. I get annoyed when they say coaches develop here too and need time to develop. That might be true but thats not the investment at stake here.

Reactions: rangersblues

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Amen to that. McHugh works his tail off every shift and even when he doesn't succeed, it's never due to a lack of effort or good intentions. Meireles isn't far off in that category. He usually leaves it all out there too and does everything he can to create.

Thought I would jump back in here and totally agree with Tim on scouting. Looking out at the game last night I see three forwards 5'7" or smaller on a shift getting flung around by bigger players. It's great that MM has made some astute trades but he really has to take a hard look at scouting. There have to be many players in the upcoming draft bigger then 5'6" 140 pounds. Yantsis has size and obvious skill but wasn't drafted. Our other top players are not considered huge by any means. You will never win any championships with a small team. Just to much physicality in the OHL for a smaller team with limited skill to survive. The only consolation with finishing last this season is Shane Wright. Under age forward coming into the league that you can build a franchise around if you have enough patience.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
If they lose to Flint will the team be blown up

People fail to realize that this team has nothing to blow up.

They've got a core of guys that don't offer much in terms of value on the open market.

They don't have assets other teams desire.

Outside of Yantsis, Garreffa, Damiani its thin.

Hugg is an import. Not many teams with an open spot.

Kenny Chu

Aug 19, 2018
People fail to realize that this team has nothing to blow up.

They've got a core of guys that don't offer much in terms of value on the open market.

They don't have assets other teams desire.

Outside of Yantsis, Garreffa, Damiani its thin.

Hugg is an import. Not many teams with an open spot.
The Only forwards I like is Damini and Mchuge. I agree there is something crazy going on with Richardson getting the starts. He didnt look good in training camp. What you gotta do org, is push your players by sitting the under performers and calling guys up from the OJ and GO. Fine offend some of your guys but hey that's the future if any of these guys want to progress and you dont perform another body is given the chance. It anit pretty but it tends to work.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I agree that there's not much to blow up for sure. Not too many coveted vets. The one with the most value is the one whose shoulder wouldn't stay in tact, so that asset imploded.

Having said that, I think many are discounting Meireles. A high speed, high energy, high work rate forward who plays in all situations and is currently over a point per game has value on the market. Personally, I'd like to keep him as an OA, but you can be assured we'd get decent return on a player like that.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I think it will be a buyers market. Only London in the West, and now Ottawa and Oshawa in the East; Niagara has made their big move. Prices could be marginal for secondary players.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I think it will be a buyers market. Only London in the West, and now Ottawa and Oshawa in the East; Niagara has made their big move. Prices could be marginal for secondary players.
Dont discount teams on the fringe and/or underacheiving.....ie: Saginaw who may want to make a playoff push and get a few rounds! Maybe even the Soo could load up even though i suspect they sit still or maybe sell...who knows...they do have a solid core.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Dont discount teams on the fringe and/or underacheiving.....ie: Saginaw who may want to make a playoff push and get a few rounds! Maybe even the Soo could load up even though i suspect they sit still or maybe sell...who knows...they do have a solid core.
I suppose. It just reminds me a lot of the year we put Bracco on the market and we don't have anyone that has near his value right now. Now that Niagara has way overpaid imo and taken themselves out of the market, I think prices will drop. There's quite a few potential players and not many spots .

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
I agree that there's not much to blow up for sure. Not too many coveted vets. The one with the most value is the one whose shoulder wouldn't stay in tact, so that asset imploded.

Having said that, I think many are discounting Meireles. A high speed, high energy, high work rate forward who plays in all situations and is currently over a point per game has value on the market. Personally, I'd like to keep him as an OA, but you can be assured we'd get decent return on a player like that.

upload_2018-11-22_10-5-4.png

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario

You're right about that. And London may not even have to spend assets. They'll most likely just call up Dellandrea from their farm team in Flint.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Kind of not Rangers related,
But I’m very interested to see how Tortora does in Barrie. I always hoped he’d report here.

I also agree we should be cashing in on potential OAs this year. I can’t see us being a legitimate contender next season. Playoff team for sure, but not really in the mix for a title.

Reactions: rangersblues
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad