Kitchener Rangers 2017-18 Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
The answer lies in not having immediate needs to fill and not needing a 16 year old to be an impact player in their first year.

A message board comment about Ladd seemingly looking lost in exhibition games where there is not a system or structure in place has to be taken for what it is, a comment. It's not a fair evaluation. Vukojevic is a good player and we will see what happens for next season. It's not critical that he plays this season because we have some decent depth and skill on D.

With our D of Hall, Blaisdell, Stanley, Vallatii, Gentles, Pederson all being veterans, there is no need to rush Ladd's development. He and Jack York can ease their way into the OHL.

Same with the #3 pick Gordon. He's better getting loads of ice time in JR B than Playing behind Bunnaman, Mascherin, Garreffa, Damiani, McHugh, Meireles, Guest, Peyton, Yantsis, Henderson, Carter, Seitz, Hugg, Liska, Petizian, etc.

The Rangers are finally in a position where they don't have to rush anyone's development. Players will have to earn their way onto this team. They can also transition into the speed and size of the OHL more gradually than if we didn't have the depth we currently do.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
I likely didn't make my post very clear. I suppose Vukojevic could possibly report down the road. But this is the way I see the outcome of the 2017 at this point. With their no. 1 pick the Rangers draft a player who was off the board, and one who some have described as seemingly a bit lost out on the ice to this point. No. 2 will not play here this year, and no guarantee after that. No. 3 gets sent down to Jr. B.

Now one could make arguments. Ladd was drafted because of his long term potential, and this team has enough veteran presence on D to bring him along slowly. Vukojevic isn't coming yet but may later. This team has lots of vets up front so there's no room for Gordon yet. Better that he develops in B. All good points.

IMO however is that it is very important for a consistently successful team not to screw up your first two picks, and if your 2nd is questionable then your next pick becomes all that more important.

My "faux pas" comment should likely be reworded as "Ranger drafting faux pas if he (Vukojevic) doesn't play a game in this league". MM has made good moves since he's had the reins, but I believe this was a risky selection....at least in my eyes. I'm still trying to understand the logic on that important no. 2 pick. If someone has the answer I'm very willing to listen.

Bang on the money.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The answer lies in not having immediate needs to fill and not needing a 16 year old to be an impact player in their first year.

A message board comment about Ladd seemingly looking lost in exhibition games where there is not a system or structure in place has to be taken for what it is, a comment. It's not a fair evaluation. Vukojevic is a good player and we will see what happens for next season. It's not critical that he plays this season because we have some decent depth and skill on D.

With our D of Hall, Blaisdell, Stanley, Vallatii, Gentles, Pederson all being veterans, there is no need to rush Ladd's development. He and Jack York can ease their way into the OHL.

Same with the #3 pick Gordon. He's better getting loads of ice time in JR B than Playing behind Bunnaman, Mascherin, Garreffa, Damiani, McHugh, Meireles, Guest, Peyton, Yantsis, Henderson, Carter, Seitz, Hugg, Liska, Petizian, etc.

The Rangers are finally in a position where they don't have to rush anyone's development. Players will have to earn their way onto this team. They can also transition into the speed and size of the OHL more gradually than if we didn't have the depth we currently do.

Good post Sheila. I think you are right on the money about Vukojevic. He is committed to college this season. The best player available at that time in the draft and would have been snatched up by the Knights for sure likely when their turn came up and maybe went there. Sometimes a team just has to take a flyer on a top end player like this guy. He was one of the best available in the draft. If he does show up its a huge win for MM. If not he won't be the last player to put on a Ranger jersey after being drafted here. Players have options and he took what he though was best.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
I've said this before, but I'm not comfortable criticizing the Rangers too much about Vukojevic. If he was at the top of their board and they think they have a 50% chance of signing him, it's likely his projected future value for the team was better than anyone else they could have drafted. If that's the case, you grab the player and get to work getting him to Kitchener.

Teams typically do their homework really well on second-round guys. Only two players taken in the 2013 second round (that's the Konecny/Strome draft, so the players have had a full four years to show up) didn't play in the OHL, and one of them was Zach Werenski, a London pick. I'm willing to bet London doesn't even regret making that pick. They know not all of their big bets will show up. The 2012 draft was worse, with six players failing to play in the OHL, but every player chosen in the 2011 and 2010 second rounds played in the league, with the exception of Ian Jenkins, who, tragically, passed away. That's an average of two misses per year, or a 90% hit rate.

Now, that's not to say the Rangers didn't make a mistake with Vukojevic. Maybe their internal analysis was way off the mark, and he's really unlikely to come to Kitchener. But I'd still err on the side of history and expertise than rumour and innuendo.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Good post Sheila. I think you are right on the money about Vukojevic. He is committed to college this season. The best player available at that time in the draft and would have been snatched up by the Knights for sure likely when their turn came up and maybe went there. Sometimes a team just has to take a flyer on a top end player like this guy. He was one of the best available in the draft. If he does show up its a huge win for MM. If not he won't be the last player to put on a Ranger jersey after being drafted here. Players have options and he took what he though was best.
He may also get you value in a trade down the road - maybe Vukojevic wants to play for another team? You get back a second and another pick say a 3rd and now you are up a pick. Sometimes BPA is the best move to guard against him going somewhere you don't want him to go especially if you actually don't nesassarily need him this year. If you can afford it a flier is not a bad thing. Your team gets better by making your opposition weaker by default.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
I've said this before, but I'm not comfortable criticizing the Rangers too much about Vukojevic. If he was at the top of their board and they think they have a 50% chance of signing him, it's likely his projected future value for the team was better than anyone else they could have drafted. If that's the case, you grab the player and get to work getting him to Kitchener.

Teams typically do their homework really well on second-round guys. Only two players taken in the 2013 second round (that's the Konecny/Strome draft, so the players have had a full four years to show up) didn't play in the OHL, and one of them was Zach Werenski, a London pick. I'm willing to bet London doesn't even regret making that pick. They know not all of their big bets will show up. The 2012 draft was worse, with six players failing to play in the OHL, but every player chosen in the 2011 and 2010 second rounds played in the league, with the exception of Ian Jenkins, who, tragically, passed away. That's an average of two misses per year, or a 90% hit rate.

Now, that's not to say the Rangers didn't make a mistake with Vukojevic. Maybe their internal analysis was way off the mark, and he's really unlikely to come to Kitchener. But I'd still err on the side of history and expertise than rumour and innuendo.

Good research SFC.

I guess my concern is related to that season ticket holder question at the AGM - why can't Kitchener have winning consistency season after season like the Knights. However You did point out that London had a rare 2nd round miss which I found surprising. I would think though that a team wouldn't want too many consecutive 1st/2nd round misses or they could find themselves out of the race in upcoming seasons.

Having said all this it is interesting that they selected Vukojevic at a point when the Rippon thing was still unresolved. This could have turned out to be two consecutive "swings and misses". Fortunately things turned out quite well on Rippon. Here's hoping for something similar on Vukojevic.

Last edited:

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Great discussion here. The question at the AGM about why can't we have a compete like London does every season was a good one. London created the model needed for success and from the answer given the Rangers now appear to be following that model.

Have a good supply of draft picks to be used in a trade when you want to make a push.
Keep your base picks

Keep a good core of players to build round

Restrict movement of high end picks

Build through the draft

At the trade deadline last season they made trades to get Mitch Vande Sompel, Mitchell Stephens and Dante Salituro. In return they gave up Chris Martenet, Ian Blacker and 14 draft picks. They lightened their draft cupboard but did not empty it. Even with all those assets gone, they still have a pick in every round in 2018, 19 and 20. When OA Olli Juolevi was returned to them, they traded CJ Yakomowicz to Sudbury and got Brady Pataki and a 3rd and 6th round pick. In 2015 while still competitive they traded Michael McCarron and Dakota Mermis to Oshawa. In return they got Cliff Pu, Josh Sterk, two 2nds and a 3rd. That year they lost in round 2, the next year they won the Memorial Cup.

Trading when it makes sense to push for it and trading assets when it doesn't hurt your competitiveness is key. London always has good players to build around and a good supply of draft picks.

Erie gave up Allan McShane their first round draft pick, two seconds and a 4th to get Anthony Cirelli, Earlier they gave up Brett Neumann anf a 3rd to get Warren Foegele. They made it to the Memorial Cup final but the collective effect of the trades they made to stay competitive leaves them with no 2nd or 3rd round picks from 2018 to 2023.

London makes trades to strengthen their chances, but keep a good supply of draft picks and a solid core of players to build around.

That is what the Rangers need to emulate. That AND here is where it's really important, draft, recruit and develop players well.

With Mike McKenzie running things I think we'll see him make sure our players develop. The move to bring in Andreas Karlsson to replace Jason Fortier might just be a move that will help development.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Great discussion here. The question at the AGM about why can't we have a compete like London does every season was a good one. London created the model needed for success and from the answer given the Rangers now appear to be following that model.

Have a good supply of draft picks to be used in a trade when you want to make a push.
Keep your base picks

Build through the draft

At the trade deadline last season they made trades to get Mitch Vande Sompel, Mitchell Stephens and Dante Salituro. In return they gave up Chris Martenet, Ian Blacker and 14 draft picks. They lightened their draft cupboard but did not empty it. Even with all those assets gone, they still have a pick in every round in 2018, 19 and 20. When OA Olli Juolevi was returned to them, they traded CJ Yakomowicz to Sudbury and got Brady Pataki and a 3rd and 6th round pick. In 2015 while still competitive they traded Michael McCarron and Dakota Mermis to Oshawa. In return they got Cliff Pu, Josh Sterk, two 2nds and a 3rd. That year they lost in round 2, the next year they won the Memorial Cup.

Trading when it makes sense to push for it and trading assets when it doesn't hurt your competitiveness is key. London always has good players to build around and a good supply of draft picks.

Erie gave up Allan McShane their first round draft pick, two seconds and a 4th to get Anthony Cirelli, Earlier they gave up Brett Neumann anf a 3rd to get Warren Foegele. They made it to the Memorial Cup final but the collective effect of the trades they made to stay competitive leaves them with no 2nd or 3rd round picks from 2018 to 2023.

London makes trades to strengthen their chances, but keep a good supply of draft picks and a solid core of players to build around.

That is what the Rangers need to emulate. That AND here is where it's really important, draft, recruit and develop players well.

With Mike McKenzie running things I think we'll see him make sure our players develop. The move to bring in Andreas Karlsson to replace Jason Fortier might just be a move that will help development.

Sounds like what some of us has been preaching about for yrs now about how to build a serial contender.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017

Keep your base picks

Build through the draft

London also has the ability to supplement their drafts and trades by getting commits from highend US players and grabbing the occassional non commit to teams in the draft ..eg Mete...all this gives them greater depth then pretty much any other team thus has the ability to do trades down the road. Right or wrong for the smaller market teams that cant get US top players to report this is the landscape. Kitchener should be able to compete with this due to location big centre and great fan support in a big market...if its done correct you guys should be able to match them. I hope you can!

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

Keep your base picks

Build through the draft

doesnt even begin to be the story for erie. they went for it in 2013-14 with Brendan Gaunce and Macdermid trades. Then in 2014-15 with Baptise, Elie, Marchment trades. Then in 15-16 they didnt sell. Forcing their hand in 2017 to trade McShane, because they didnt have the picks.

not even london is capable of going for it 4 years in a row with major moves like erie did. all they really did in 2016 was Graves. which was cheap as ****. what did they do in 2014-15? if i recall...they traded AWAY McCarron and Mermis. So london, even tho you all fail to remember, had basically been selling or remaining stagnant from 2014-2016, heading into the 2017 deadline. but if they had to buy like erie, which they dont have to, they would be as bare as erie cupboards. at least as an erie fan im content with the bare picks. why? because they went for it for 4 dang years. thats what happens. and secondly, if they trade raddysh, etc this year they will restock faster than you can say pennsylva..

bottom line is in order to be like london it begins and pretty much lives and dies by FAs/college commits. Thats where their success comes from. its all drafting well in the top 3 rounds then drafting another 4/5 guys in later rounds who if they said openly they were ohl and would go to any team, they would have been top 60 picks. Then they get 1/2 of these guys to eventually report. we all know how it works for them. making it alot easier to not buy players from other teams. sure other teams can do this same thing but honestly they all fail to have consistent success with it. that combined with some teams over hyping london players and over paying for their scrap players, causing london to restock picks.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Thought this was interesting on Bouchard

KITCHENER — Anthony Dumont-Bouchard was a player without a home.
The overage goalie was no longer in Acadie-Bathurst's plans even though he was coming off his best season in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.
The 20-year-old still headed to Titan training camp with the hope that he would latch on with another club.
"It was hard," he said. "I was just waiting for an opportunity. I just want to play."
Monday, a door opened in Kitchener.
Injuries and inexperience have created a confusing crease at the Aud, so general manager Mike McKenzie pulled the trigger on a deal to acquire the French Canadian.
But it took some work.
Dumont-Bouchard had to clear waivers before Kitchener could scoop him up. McKenzie got word that at least one of the other 11 Ontario Hockey League clubs ahead of the Rangers in the queue was also interested, so he sprang into action.
The GM offered the Barrie Colts, who had first dibs, a 14th-round pick in next year's draft to select the keeper and then trade him to the Rangers.
The plan worked, and Dumont-Bouchard arrived earlier this week.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
doesnt even begin to be the story for erie. they went for it in 2013-14 with Brendan Gaunce and Macdermid trades. Then in 2014-15 with Baptise, Elie, Marchment trades. Then in 15-16 they didnt sell. Forcing their hand in 2017 to trade McShane, because they didnt have the picks.

not even london is capable of going for it 4 years in a row with major moves like erie did. all they really did in 2016 was Graves. which was cheap as ****. what did they do in 2014-15? if i recall...they traded AWAY McCarron and Mermis. So london, even tho you all fail to remember, had basically been selling or remaining stagnant from 2014-2016, heading into the 2017 deadline. but if they had to buy like erie, which they dont have to, they would be as bare as erie cupboards. at least as an erie fan im content with the bare picks. why? because they went for it for 4 dang years. thats what happens. and secondly, if they trade raddysh, etc this year they will restock faster than you can say pennsylva..

bottom line is in order to be like london it begins and pretty much lives and dies by FAs/college commits. Thats where their success comes from. its all drafting well in the top 3 rounds then drafting another 4/5 guys in later rounds who if they said openly they were ohl and would go to any team, they would have been top 60 picks. Then they get 1/2 of these guys to eventually report. we all know how it works for them. making it alot easier to not buy players from other teams. sure other teams can do this same thing but honestly they all fail to have consistent success with it. that combined with some teams over hyping london players and over paying for their scrap players, causing london to restock picks.

London also grabbed a bunch of picks moving young players that they drafted that were ohl talents but couldnt grab PT here because of depth.
Ryshma, Nother, Gleason, Henderson and more. That was the result of very good drafting and moving assets other teams valued.
Those moves helped the kids, the other teams and definitely london. If you can draft n develop ohl talent in there1st/2nd year and flip them due to depth it keeps the ball rolling.
Look for London to repeat that this year.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
London also grabbed a bunch of picks moving young players that they drafted that were ohl talents but couldnt grab PT here because of depth.
Ryshma, Nother, Gleason, Henderson and more. That was the result of very good drafting and moving assets other teams valued.
Those moves helped the kids, the other teams and definitely london. If you can draft n develop ohl talent in there1st/2nd year and flip them due to depth it keeps the ball rolling.
Look for London to repeat that this year.

aresknights I think your point on drafting says a lot. Having good scouts is the most important thing in having a successful team.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
You could say the argument that Kitchener is drafting top players recently. Look at Rippon and Vukojevic as grabbing talent where they should be taken. Everyone seems to like the Rippon return. That is the model of London of grabbing talent when they see it and re-couping when they have to. I realize its a very small example, lets see if MM continues down this road. Trying to look at it as glass half full instead of thinking we wasted a pick on Vukojevic if people don't think he is planning on reporting.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
You could say the argument that Kitchener is drafting top players recently. Look at Rippon and Vukojevic as grabbing talent where they should be taken. Everyone seems to like the Rippon return. That is the model of London of grabbing talent when they see it and re-couping when they have to. I realize its a very small example, lets see if MM continues down this road. Trying to look at it as glass half full instead of thinking we wasted a pick on Vukojevic if people don't think he is planning on reporting.
Bench if the plan going forward is to follow the Knight's blueprint (whatever that is) it will take time to see if the Rangers are successful. It won't happen over night. I think the Rangers would like to make some sort of statement this season but there are still a lot of question marks. We will see what MM is made of when he has to deal with weak links during the year and how he responds.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Regarding making a statement and such in the future.
I firmly believe that a team must make a true evaluation of their fortunes for the season and playoffs. I have never been one to make trades
and giving away high draft picks to maybe extend the first one or two rounds in the playoffs or to gain a 1 spot higher playoff seedings.
Count me in for if the Rangers know they will be just a decent team come the playoffs that they should actually sell so in the next cpl season
they would become a very strong contender for the OHL Championship.

Being "middling" is not an option for me year after year after year!

Last edited:

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Bench if the plan going forward is to follow the Knight's blueprint (whatever that is) it will take time to see if the Rangers are successful. It won't happen over night. I think the Rangers would like to make some sort of statement this season but there are still a lot of question marks. We will see what MM is made of when he has to deal with weak links during the year and how he responds.

I agree with you there are a lot of question marks. I only mention the Knights blueprint as others do as they seem to be competitive even in their down years. I have no problem with the cycle of junior hockey. Erie is feeling the pains of it now. I agree with Ward that I don't want to consistently be a middling franchise. We need to at least get back to a cycle where you are going for it every four years.

To me if MM keeps building the way he appears to be I see us somewhere between the 4 year cycle (like Erie had) and London (being continual contenders).

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Bobber I agree. No use trading draft picks to get to the second round.

Like when London traded Mermis and McCarron, they felt they weren't a OHL title contender, but they still remained competitive and make it to round 2.

Last season Oshawa was first place in the East and traded Cirelii and Vande Sompel. For Cirelli they got Alan McShane, two 2nds and a 4th. For Vande Sompel they got Ian Blacker, two 2nds and a 3rd. They still made it to the second round. They evaluated their chances honestly, saw that Erie and Windsor probably could not be beaten and pulled the trigger. Short term pain, long term gain.

Would Rangers fans be okay if they were in 2nd place but realized Owen Sound or Mississauga wouldn't be beatable to trade high veteran assets for young players and draft picks. I would be. On the other hand if we didn't add a player that could get us a championship I'd be upset. Not easy being a GM

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Sounds like what some of us has been preaching about for yrs now about how to build a serial contender.

The thing about building a perennial contender is that the past 2 drafts we have only drafted 1 forward the 1st two rounds (Damiani) and he isn't ranked very high for the upcoming NHL draft. Someone (I believe SFC) did a breakdown where successful teams high end scorers are drafted and if memory serves me a very high percentage was the first 2 rounds. Although time will tell, it doesn't seem to me that the past 2 drafts are very conducive to building a high end team. I think MM has made several other moves that have Rangers going in the right direction. Let's hope his draft turns out too.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
At the game tonight against Niagara
Been a lot of penalties, each team has had 2 5v3's

Hugg, Liska and McHugh wearing A's for us

Seitz got in a fight, and it was his usual more hugging and then falling over

Lots of slashing, Niagara started the parade to the box but we've followed suit

Ready to be back at the Aud tomorrow!

K2

Jun 11, 2015
The game sheet shows McGonigle backing up Richardson tonight in Beamsville ...

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Looking forward to seeing a game at the Aud today even if it is exhibition. As for that game sheet, it was showing goals in the shots section. I hope to see ADB in goal today. Feisty game last night. Let's see how the boys step up in their own barn this aft with hopefully, more than the 600 at Bayside.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
At the game tonight against Niagara
Been a lot of penalties, each team has had 2 5v3's

Hugg, Liska and McHugh wearing A's for us

Seitz got in a fight, and it was his usual more hugging and then falling over

Lots of slashing, Niagara started the parade to the box but we've followed suit

Ready to be back at the Aud tomorrow!
Thanks for the review. Seitz should stick to hockey. He has never won a fight and maybe hasn't even thrown a punch. How do you think Richardson looked in net?

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Thanks for the review. Seitz should stick to hockey. He has never won a fight and maybe hasn't even thrown a punch. How do you think Richardson looked in net?

Richardson had an up and down game, he had long stretches with no shots and then large amounts of shots when we went into penalty frenzy.

But I'll admit my fiancé and I did say a couple were weak.

I would like to see the OA today to compare the two, and I imagine that's who will be playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->