Kitchen Remodel

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
We are in the beginnings of a kitchen remodel.
We currently have a tile counter, and tile 2 inch back splash.
We will be getting a new counter, back splash and sink.
We have settled on a granite counter, called Ubatuba (black with brown and gold flecks).

Two questions.
Removing the backsplash will result in some minor damage to the drywall. Mostly the paper being ripped off.
Anyone know if you can tile back over that ?
Does it need a skim coat of joint compound ?

Looking at a composite sink or a stainless steel. Anyone have pros/cons on either ?
We currently have a triple bowl cast iron that is pretty much indestructible.

Thanks.

Reactions: HansonBro

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Id fill in anything that the current backsplash rips off. It may remove some chunks. Use "90" or morter to fill. But it's not a big deal.

I like your choice of counter top. I like the black with copper and recommend it all the time.

Look into all the sink options you can. I like the double wides that hold a baking sheet...

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
what color/design are your cabinets?

we put a granite countertop in our old place but left the cabinets. Just painted them white. It actually looked kinda bad since the house was from the 60s and still had the original deigns. I'd just say make sure the cabinets are ready for the visual upgrade too. It can look a little goofy sometimes.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Id fill in anything that the current backsplash rips off. It may remove some chunks. Use "90" or morter to fill. But it's not a big deal.

I like your choice of counter top. I like the black with copper and recommend it all the time.

Look into all the sink options you can. I like the double wides that hold a baking sheet...

What he said. Fill in any chunks of drywall that come off... and there will likely be a bunch. If you don’t smooth it’s to a reasonable degree then putting on the new backsplash will be very difficult to level. You can just use drywall joint filler which you can buy in a big tub from your local hardware store for pretty cheap.

For your sink I’m not a huge fan of double sinks unless as mentioned above they are wide enough to fit a baking sheet.

Stainless steel or composite doesn’t really matter, it’s just preference but keep in mind that stainless steel sinks range in quality. Cheaper made ones will show more wear and discolour.

I would also consider doing an undermount sink with your granite counters or even a farmhouse style. It’s a cleaner look in my opinion. Farmhouse is a preference and depends on the style of your kitchen but undermount is the way to go for sure.

Just shop around a bunch and you’ll find something good.

Chonged

Apr 24, 2018
This one time I bought a storage unit that was filled with a bunch of counter top material. It's amazing how inexpensive that stuff is on the secondary market. And those things are heavy. My girlfriend made me buy it and then it took like six months to sell and I had to break my back hauling it all over the place... Never again

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
We are in the beginnings of a kitchen remodel.
We currently have a tile counter, and tile 2 inch back splash.
We will be getting a new counter, back splash and sink.
We have settled on a granite counter, called Ubatuba (black with brown and gold flecks).

Two questions.
Removing the backsplash will result in some minor damage to the drywall. Mostly the paper being ripped off.
Anyone know if you can tile back over that ?
Does it need a skim coat of joint compound ?

Looking at a composite sink or a stainless steel. Anyone have pros/cons on either ?
We currently have a triple bowl cast iron that is pretty much indestructible.

Thanks.

go with stainless sink. we had a composite that cracked.

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
- Meteorite cross-section tile
- Three inch solid gold back splash
- Platinum sink

Baller, yo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad