Kirk On the B's at Center

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
What incentive do the Rangers even have to trade Yandle, though? They are a team that is right at the cap this year, and Yandle is one of the few bargains they have on the roster with the fact that his cap hit is quite generous (due to Phoenix retaining some salary). It'd take a massive overpayment to get a guy like Yandle out of NY, especially considering they're going to be playoff contenders again. If they are out of it come deadline time, that's certainly a different story, but making at least the conference finals each of the last 2 seasons tells me they'll be in it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If they moved on from Julien, bringing in a guy like Yandle could make sense. But paying what it will cost to get him, and having him try to fit within the confines of the vaunted system? Not a strong match, IMO.

I think we are talking about signing him as UFA if he gets there, not using any assets to him and have Yandle+1st+2 2nds instead of Hamilton.

We have a year to look at how the young D-players develop and what other top D-players are available during the season, I doubt we can expect just our kids to turn us into contenders soon enough and we end up wasting last years of Chara and primes from Krecji&Bergeron.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think we are talking about signing him as UFA if he gets there, not using any assets to him and have Yandle+1st+2 2nds instead of Hamilton.

We have a year to look at how the young D-players develop and what other top D-players are available during the season, I doubt we can expect just our kids to turn us into contenders and we end up wasting last years of Chara and primes from Krecji&Bergeron.

Yeah, I get that it would just be money, but again, his price tag will still be prohibitive. You take that price, and couple it with the coach and his system, and it doesn't seem like a great match, IMO...

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Like Rangers fans say he always has the puck which is the best defense.

And also he is one of the best offensive D's in the league, you don't think we could use him?

Chara is elite defensive D, O'Gara is top potential defensive/shutdown D, Carlo same thing, Zboril is strong on both ends, we could make it work. I wouldn't say no if we would have one of the best offensive bluelines in the league while having top defensive/shutdown players on every pairing. That's potential longterm contender D group.

We could use a guy like that, yes, but I don't think the Rangers fans are being accurate in that assessment. I watched enough Rangers this year that I was really questioning why they made a play for this guy...I thought Yandle was an extremely average all around defenseman..flashes of of his reputation, but overall I wasn't impressed. Perhaps the sample size was too small (5-6 games I saw).

Onto the the B's existing/future D, I agree there's a lot of potential with the young guys you've mentioned and I'm excited to see how they develop. In 2-3 years they could have one of the better young corps of Dmen in the NHL. Until then? Well, since I don't consider CHara elite anymore, I'm thinking it's going to be a little shaky as currently constructed.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yeah, I get that it would just be money, but again, his price tag will still be prohibitive. You take that price, and couple it with the coach and his system, and it doesn't seem like a great match, IMO...

Chara-Yandle, Krug-McQuaid, O'Gara-C.Miller, 16-17 season, that's cheap.
Cap won't be a problem. McQuaid gets moved when Zboril/Carlo are ready, our D group will be cheap for a long time if every prospect won't bust, ELC contracts+RFA contracts for 10+ years ahead of us.

I don't see any of our D prospects getting a huge RFA contract. Then look at all the young forwards we should be seeing on ELC's in the near future.

So I don't see us having a more expensive player than Krecji for a long long time in a league where players already are getting 10M+ contracts and cap is going up.

Sure he doesn't fit in if all the talk has been just talk but if Sweeney was serious then Yandle would be a great add, is it just talk or do we want to change?

We could use a guy like that, yes, but I don't think the Rangers fans are being accurate in that assessment. I watched enough Rangers this year that I was really questioning why they made a play for this guy...I thought Yandle was an extremely average all around defenseman..flashes of of his reputation, but overall I wasn't impressed. Perhaps the sample size was too small (5-6 games I saw).

Onto the the B's existing/future D, I agree there's a lot of potential with the young guys you've mentioned and I'm excited to see how they develop. In 2-3 years they could have one of the better young corps of Dmen in the NHL. Until then? Well, since I don't consider CHara elite anymore, I'm thinking it's going to be a little shaky as currently constructed.

He also had injuries which affected his play during Rangers time, and I hope Chara can be elite on the D-zone still.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
He had injuries which limited his icetime, he was their top D players when he could play for them, atleast what they are saying.

They also made a strong point on that Yandle seems to always have the puck which means you don't have to spend a lot of time in the D-zone, but team like Arizona couldn't take advantage of it, but teams like Boston and Rangers can and could take advantage of it and keep the puck "always" on the offensive zone which is the best defense.

I learned a long time that it's probably better to use your own eye test rather than taking in fans opinions. In general, fans of the home team overrate their players - that much is true.

I am often amazed that two people can be watching the exact same player for a shift, period, game, whatever and come away with two totally different opinions on how he played.

Look no further than your own board, it happens here in just about every thread. If I was trying to get my take on say, Trotman or Morrow, from what I've read here, I'd walk away knowing less than I did coming in.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You maybe revisit Yandle later but right now it's a guessing game that only 2-3 months of NHL games will clear up or start to clear up

Say Chara knee is wonky but Seidenberg is better than last year and Colin Miller is a better Wideman. No need for Yandle and now shutdown guys like O'Gara and Carlo are more on need

Or what if Zboril goes all Pastrnak at camp?

Doubtful but we are just spitballing now- all we can do

Exactly. Why worry about getting Yandle at this point? He's a year away from being a FA and who knows how he'll look this year and what he'll be looking for? Plus, like you point out, maybe the solution for a PMD who can improve the transition game comes from within. That would be an ideal situation, rather than grossly overpaying for Yandle's services when he becomes available...

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I learned a long time that it's probably better to use your own eye test rather than taking in fans opinions. In general, fans of the home team overrate their players - that much is true.

I am often amazed that two people can be watching the exact same player for a shift, period, game, whatever and come away with two totally different opinions on how he played.

Look no further than your own board, it happens here in just about every thread. If I was trying to get my take on say, Trotman or Morrow, from what I've read here, I'd walk away knowing less than I did coming in.

Sure, but if you see 2 games from him and he is injured during that time you may not see the real Yandle, he's been one of the best D scorers in the league and if we end up next year with Yandle+1st+2 2nd's instead of Hamilton then how do we look at the Hamilton trade then?

I'm not saying we must get him and he is the best option but if we end up with him I wouldn't be mad at all, draft changed my mind on that and I think we could be contenders 2016-17.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
My Hockey News Yearbook came in mail today and Kirk's top Bruins amateur prospect Danton Heinen did not make the Bruins authors top 10

Some of these reviews by the 'experts' are laughable. If I don't recognize the name, I am skeptical of who is doing the reviewing. I also think we are spoiled by Kirk and Dom.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Truer words have never been spoken :D

I'm in the camp that Yandle "could" be good in Boston, given time to acclimate, but why go after him now when he's a FA next year and everyone knows he likes the area and has ties here? I watched nearly every playoff game this past post season and I have to say that I was underwhelmed with Yandle's performance in NY, and I thought they overpaid a great deal for him.

He may be a solution, but as others have pointed out, the B's may end up not needing him, so why pull the trigger prematurely?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad