Player Discussion Kirill Kaprizov (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
He’ll get it done, it’ll likely just be bad. Guerin already bent the knee to the kid when he burned a year of his ELC to have him sit in Russia while the Wild lost in the play-in rounds.
This is so wrong on many levels. Pretty much no matter what Kaprizov was going to have a 1 season ELC. There was a chance that Kaprizov would return to russia for another season. If he came over after another season of the KHL (remember at this team we still had no idea when the NHL would start again while the KHL said they were planning to play in the fall) He would be 24 and still have 1 year of an ELC.

You could argue that Minnesota should just sign Kaprizov in the offseason and get the second ELC year out of him. And true, that would be great for Minnesota. But Kaprizov has leverage here. He could easily say “Sign me for 2019-20, or I’ll go back to Moscow for another year.”

He would be 24 by the time the KHL season ends, meaning his ELC would then be one year. And if he played any NHL games in the 2020-21 season, he would burn that year and become an RFA in Summer 2021 anyway. Minnesota would be in the same spot, but without the benefit of getting even one full ELC season from Kaprizov.

Why the Minnesota Wild May Sign Kirill Kaprizov, Even Though He Cannot Play This Year | Zone Coverage

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
This is so wrong on many levels. Pretty much no matter what Kaprizov was going to have a 1 season ELC. There was a chance that Kaprizov would return to russia for another season. If he came over after another season of the KHL (remember at this team we still had no idea when the NHL would start again while the KHL said they were planning to play in the fall) He would be 24 and still have 1 year of an ELC.

Why the Minnesota Wild May Sign Kirill Kaprizov, Even Though He Cannot Play This Year | Zone Coverage

I don’t see what’s wrong. He bent the knee.

You could argue that Minnesota should just sign Kaprizov in the offseason and get the second ELC year out of him. And true, that would be great for Minnesota. But Kaprizov has leverage here. He could easily say “Sign me for 2019-20, or I’ll go back to Moscow for another year.”

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I don’t see what’s wrong. He bent the knee.
Because no matter what we were going to get Kaprizov at 1 year of ELC. The whole burning a year was going to happen no matter what.

ELCs are for under 25 year olds. Kaprizov was 23 when he signed his. Either we sign him and burn a year. or wait till he is 24 and get a 1 year ELC. There was no two years of an ELC option. And option two is a risk Kaprizov goes back to the russia.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Because no matter what we were going to get Kaprizov at 1 year of ELC. The whole burning a year was going to happen no matter what.

ELCs are for under 25 year olds. Kaprizov was 23 when he signed his. Either we sign him and burn a year. or wait till he is 24 and get a 1 year ELC. There was no two years of an ELC option. And option two is a risk Kaprizov goes back to the russia.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

Exactly, he lets Kap call the shots. I’m glad the goodwill Guerin showed him by burning a free year of his ELC is paying off for these contract negotiations.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
This thread should be changed to 'Anti-Kirill Kaprizov'.

Does nobody have any confidence in BG to get this done? Everyone is so doom and gloom. Where has there been a credible source that he doesn't want to be in MN? It's been repeated many times that if any one of you were in his shoes, we would not take the 8 year offer from the Wild. Most the time first offers are usually sent back, not just in sports. I would imagine if KK ships off back to Russia, BG is going to be on the hot seat if not canned. He wants to get this contract figured out more than any one of us sitting here.

(Rant over)
Welcome to the message boards

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Exactly, he lets Kap call the shots. I’m glad the goodwill Guerin showed him by burning a free year of his ELC is paying off for these contract negotiations.
The NHL ruled he couldn't play and there wasn't a chance in hell he was going to wait until last year to sign his ELC when he could just stay in Russia, make more money, and then sign a 1yr ELC.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I understand that he is free to do what is best for him but it is such a Wild thing to happen that the first star in 15 years clearly wants big market, huge $$$ and there is almost no chance he stays here when he hits the open market. After the Wild waited for him to make a few extra million in the KHL first. F' him, f' his agents and f' Russia.

I'm not sure it's all about big market pull, or mega millions. It's also about security; and security is predicated on having options. Considering he only has 1 shortened season in North America, who knows what's gonna happen in the future.
I mean he probably is still not overly familiar with Minneapolis/St. Paul; and NHL coaches, GMs and teammates can change on a whim. Who in their right mind would sign a long-term deal and limit their career options at such a stage - big markets included.

If I recall correctly, he stayed extra years in the KHL at the advice of his father for security reasons. He wanted to be financially secure before he went over because nothing is a given in North America, and he wanted to be 100% developed for the same reasons.

Last edited:

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I'm not sure it's all about big market pull, or mega millions. It's also about security; and security is predicated on having options. Considering he only has 1 shortened season in North America, who knows what's gonna happen in the future.
I mean he probably is still not overly familiar with Minneapolis/St. Paul; and NHL coaches, GMs and teammates can change on a whim. Who in their right mind would sign a long-term deal and limit their career options at such a stage - big markets included.

If I recall correctly, he stayed extra years in the KHL at the advice of his father for security reasons. He wanted to be financially secure before he went over because nothing is a given in North America, and he wanted to be 100% developed for the same reasons.
Huh? Juice box is going to make millions in the NHL, regardless of who he plays for or for how long he plays for them. The financial security take is a wierd one. My take is that this is just a kid whose agents are trying to get the best deal possible for him and I hope that he stays with us for a long time.

Reactions: mouser

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Huh? Juice box is going to make millions in the NHL, regardless of who he plays for or for how long he plays for them. The financial security take is a wierd one. My take is that this is just a kid whose agents are trying to get the best deal possible for him and I hope that he stays with us for a long time.

My point is perhaps its not about money at all.

Maybe Don Cherry eventually becomes GM. Maybe Dallas Eakins is coach in a few years. Maybe the Wild continually suck. Maybe he wants to return to KHL. Who knows, there’s a myriad of unforeseeable things life could throw your way; on and off the ice. And it’s something very real to consider for someone in a new country/different environment.

I think he’s committed for the foreseeable future, but signing a long-term contract severely restricts freedom and flexibility.
There’s no security in that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soldier13Fox

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
My point is perhaps its not about money at all.

Maybe Don Cherry eventually becomes GM. Maybe Dallas Eakins is coach in a few years. Maybe the Wild continually suck. Maybe he wants to return to KHL. Who knows, there’s a myriad of unforeseeable things life could throw your way; on and off the ice. And it’s something very real to consider for someone in a new country/different environment.

I think he’s committed for the foreseeable future, but signing a long-term contract severely restricts freedom and flexibility.
There’s no security in that.
I'd be very surprised if it's all about money. I'm sure he probably wants to know that the Wild are becoming better, not worse. Maybe he also wants to get comfortable with a team before signing long-term. That said, if he continues to play at the level he did last season or better, signing a short or mid-term deal will cause him to make substantially more money than he would if he signed long-term right now. So, I'm sure money's also a consideration. Nobody does anything for just one reason.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'd be very surprised if it's all about money. I'm sure he probably wants to know that the Wild are becoming better, not worse. Maybe he also wants to get comfortable with a team before signing long-term. That said, if he continues to play at the level he did last season or better, signing a short or mid-term deal will cause him to make substantially more money than he would if he signed long-term right now. So, I'm sure money's also a consideration. Nobody does anything for just one reason.
If the agent is driving the bus here it can definitely be about money. It can also be about ego. Athletes are competitive, and Kaprizov might see Panarin money as his ultimate goal, and is taking steps to make it happen.

It would be interesting to see if Kap changes his tune if we get a decent Center for him this off season, but the chances of that are dwindling.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If the agent is driving the bus here it can definitely be about money. It can also be about ego. Athletes are competitive, and Kaprizov might see Panarin money as his ultimate goal, and is taking steps to make it happen.

It would be interesting to see if Kap changes his tune if we get a decent Center for him this off season, but the chances of that are dwindling.

You don't think a lot of the reason that he'd want a center upgrade would be to up his production for his next contract?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You don't think a lot of the reason that he'd want a center upgrade would be to up his production for his next contract?
no doubt, as well as just simply not wanting to play with a guy who you don't want to pass the puck to.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
no doubt, as well as just simply not wanting to play with a guy who you don't want to pass the puck to.
With all the 2nd round picks going to Buffalo and mostly lopsided trades it should be time for them returning the favour.
Rask and a 2nd (call it nostalgia) for Eichel @ 50%.

Maybe KK then signs for 5x5, pimps his numbers and cashes in with age 29.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
Can’t wait until Guerin is raked over the coals when/if caves and gives a one season 58-game kid his three year dear and x amount of dollars and clear path to FA

and then come back and blame Guerin for the contract they want him to offer today.

just trade him. He’s not going to be a member of the Wild for long anyways

Last edited:

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
This doesn't make a lot of sense. The KHL has been trying to level the playing field and has implemented a salary cap that stands around $12m USD.

So Kaprizov is going to take up $10m of a $12m cap?

I think that is unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->