Prospect Info: Kirill Kaprizov lll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
You haven't given one single legitimate justification as to why that rule should change for this season.

I know, everything is totally normal and fine and nobody has been affected by the HOAX right

the NHL just HATES the Wild and probably Russia too

it's the only explanation

just like they screwed the Metropolitans in 1919 - nothing ever changes

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I know, everything is totally normal and fine and nobody has been affected by the HOAX right

And you just continue to spew out catch phrases and random thoughts that have zero bearing on the topic at hand.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Would love to hear you try to explain why the virus means this specific rule should be put on hold this season.

Reactions: 2Pair

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
It wasn't when it was Radulov and Sobotka.

Yeah, I understand that's not the league's reasoning here. Here it's just "no new contracts."

To me, it's a difference worth exploring.

If you had a prospect threatening, so to speak, to return for his senior season if he weren't signed for the playoffs (burning a year on a partial performance) it's more legit to sign him than it is to pretend you're pressed when in reality you are at hardly any risk of losing his rights (as in this case). They've held his rights since June 2015... what's the rush now? The league, understandably, would prefer for a bona fide player to be under contract and playing, not using the KHL as leverage against the team that holds his rights.

Again, could the league change this policy in the next month or so, as conditions change, and we gain clarity? Possibly. But it's not like any other season. There was a cessation of play, international travel is mostly suspended, paychecks lost, health risks. Why introduce another wrinkle that harms the NHLPA's interests in creating jobs for its members who have paid into escrow all season AND the league's interests in managing its assets in a timely and fair fashion?

And again, I blame Chuck Fletcher for dithering with this kid for two and a half years when it was always clear he was a special prospect.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Would love to hear you try to explain why the virus means this specific rule should be put on hold this season.

We don't even know if there will be a "rest of this season." Why would the league want anyone to commit to something so nebulous? How to get him here, how to do the paperwork, when the league is essentially in abeyance? You don't think they have more to worry about? So... no contracts. Kind of harsh, but I accept Russo's claim that he wants to play in the NHL and will do so as soon as possible. Hopefully in the fall.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
We don't even know if there will be a "rest of this season." Why would the league want anyone to commit to something so nebulous? How to get him here, how to do the paperwork, when the league is essentially in abeyance? You don't think they have more to worry about? So... no contracts. Kind of harsh, but I accept Russo's claim that he wants to play in the NHL and will do so as soon as possible. Hopefully in the fall.

I'm not asking for them to commit to letting him sign and play for the season, I'm asking for them to not commit to not letting them sign and play under any circumstances.

You claim there are good reasons for them to say, "yeah, we're not going to let them play." Well, still waiting for you to list them.

Reactions: TaLoN

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I'm not asking for them to commit to letting him sign and play for the season, I'm asking for them to not commit to not letting them sign and play under any circumstances.

You claim there are good reasons for them to say, "yeah, we're not going to let them play." Well, still waiting for you to list them.

They're still fully free right now to sign contracts starting in 2020-21. The issue at question is whether the league should extend the typical deadline for signing contracts starting in the current 2019-20 season long past how it historically has worked.

Frankly, odds were heavily weighted against Minnesota even having the option to sign Kaprizov to a contract burning 2019-20 before the league suspension happened.

P10p

May 15, 2012
They're still fully free right now to sign contracts starting in 2020-21. The issue at question is whether the league should extend the typical deadline for signing contracts starting in the current 2019-20 season long past how it historically has worked.

Frankly, odds were heavily weighted against Minnesota even having the option to sign Kaprizov to a contract burning 2019-20 before the league suspension happened.

This whole post is so wrong. I can't even break it down.

Its so disheartening when the situation has been explained dozens of times across many threads and you still have people like this who post so brazenly as though they know the rules when they clearly don't...

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The odds were even heavier that Guentzel and Hamilton(among many others)would be able to play for their team if it were not for the suspension of play. Why do those teams get to benefit, while others do not?

Oh, and we have a C-19 thread somewhere else. That's the place for that discussion.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
The odds were even heavier that Guentzel and Hamilton(among many others)would be able to play for their team if it were not for the suspension of play. Why do those teams get to benefit, while others do not?

Oh, and we have a C-19 thread somewhere else. That's the place for that discussion.

Those players are UNDER CONTRACT. Kaprizov has the same relationship right now with the Wild as Julian Walker does, a technical one, not a contractual one.

Due to the C-19 pandemic, the NHL created a rule regarding NEW CONTRACTS. They make the rules. If there were no pandemic, maybe he could sign.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
To be fair to Kaprizov, I don't think being thrust onto a strange team, under completely unprecedented circumstances, is the greatest way to introduce him to the NHL

Reactions: thestonedkoala

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
To be fair to Kaprizov, I don't think being thrust onto a strange team, under completely unprecedented circumstances, is the greatest way to introduce him to the NHL

That’s quite literally what Kaprizov himself wants.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

That is a fair point. It'd been fun to see. Though I don't think he'd be immediately thrust into the situation as he would have a few weeks of training camp.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
That’s quite literally what Kaprizov himself wants.

I want a pint, that doesn't mean it's good for me.

57Special does have a pretty valid point, but I personally want to see this kid play because I think he's going to be pretty darn good regardless of circumstances. I'm sure, however, that he would be even better if he got the know the team and the way the play, first.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

57Special does have a pretty valid point, but I personally want to see this kid play because I think he's going to be pretty darn good regardless of circumstances. I'm sure, however, that he would be even better if he got the know the team and the way the play, first.

He’s 23 years old, he’s been playing pro hockey longer than some guys on our roster, he’s won a Gagarin Cup and has been the best goal scorer in the KHL for two seasons now.

I really don’t think inserting him into a play-in series against Vancouver where we’re the underdogs after at least a couple weeks of training camp is going to negatively impact his psyche.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver

You think they don't have the internet in Russia or something?

When has this ever mattered?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

It’s functionally the same as a mid-season trade acquisition. Those guys don’t get to study their new team either. Kaprizov would actually have the advantage of a mini training camp.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
23yo, Gagarin Cup, Olympic Gold Medal, b2b goal scoring leader in the KHL, and people think he needs to be coddled like a child? Give me a break.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
23yo, Gagarin Cup, Olympic Gold Medal, b2b goal scoring leader in the KHL, and people think he needs to be coddled like a child? Give me a break.

Not coddled, but I think expectations need to be leveled. Everyone thinking he's going to be 02-03 Gaborik need to think twice.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Not coddled, but I think expectations need to be leveled. Everyone thinking he's going to be 02-03 Gaborik need to think twice.

No one’s talking about expectations here. You’re lost again.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think you are underestimating how hard it is to find your feet in the NHL, and how different of a culture NA is compared to Russia, never mind the language. Players are not robots. You don't plug them and expect them to automatically adjust to new circumstances. It takes time.

It's not like opponents in the NHL, especially come playoff time, will take it easy on him because he's a new guy. It will be the opposite.

I would like to see him signed just so we get him for next season, when he will have more time to adjust during training camp, etc....assuming that there is a next season.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
I think you are underestimating how hard it is to find your feet in the NHL, and how different of a culture NA is compared to Russia, never mind the language. Players are not robots. You don't plug them and expect them to automatically adjust to new circumstances. It takes time.

It's not like opponents in the NHL, especially come playoff time, will take it easy on him because he's a new guy. It will be the opposite.

I would like to see him signed just so we get him for next season, when he will have more time to adjust during training camp, etc....assuming that there is a next season.
Panarin had no issues and he wasn't nearly as touted or as good coming out of the KHL as Kaprizov is.

As for the bold part: I think young Russian players find this out earlier than anyone else in hockey - and this is most definitely not new to him.
Panarin had no issues and he wasn't nearly as touted or as good coming out of the KHL as Kaprizov is.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Isn't the whole point of this discussion that Kaprizov should be the one who gets to decide when he comes over?

Reactions: AKL

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Panarin didn't come over for the playoffs, in the midst of a pandemic. He had the benefit of a full pre season, under normal circumstances, and had some "decent" line mates.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

When has chemistry between teammates mattered? Are you asking him to form chemistry with teammates by watching them online? He may have some loose idea of what to expect out of them by doing that, but loose is about all it'll be.

Like I said, I personally think he's quite ready to come over, even in strange circumstances. I also personally believe that creating chemistry with linemates can be important. Maybe he does that quickly, I hope he does, sometimes that happens. I also think it should be his decision. I also think the NHL is really dropping them ball here, and I'm not sure why, because they haven't told us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad