Prospect Info: Kirill Kaprizov lll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Might be a well reasoned snub but still a snub. Like AKL says, it would effectively mean we don’t see him until the 2021-22 season. At the earliest realistically as we’ve already seen the hurdles involved with these May signings.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Is it confirmed that the KHL will start their regular season on time?

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
The NHL's explanation just makes zero sense when compared to what they've allowed in the past. If they just went with the 'making things more complicated than they need to be' reasoning it would at least make more sense than the hilariously stupid 'ringer' comment. As Russo has mentioned it was freaking last year when the Avs were able to add Makar to their playoff team. Leave it up to the NHL to find ways to avoid letting young potential stars play in the league when it's likely that more eyes than usual will be on the product.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
The NHL's explanation just makes zero sense when compared to what they've allowed in the past. If they just went with the 'making things more complicated than they need to be' reasoning it would at least make more sense than the hilariously stupid 'ringer' comment. As Russo has mentioned it was freaking last year when the Avs were able to add Makar to their playoff team. Leave it up to the NHL to find ways to avoid letting young potential stars play in the league when it's likely that more eyes than usual will be on the product.

I mean, I get the frustration. But if they don't sign Makar they technically risk him becoming a free agent. There's a real time limit. Kaprizov's rights will still be around for at least three more years (not to mention they could have tried to sign him, you know, four years ago). Second, Makar was an amateur athlete, not a pro who just played an entire professional season. There's a reason an NHL team can't sign a guy from a different NHL team after his team gets eliminated, right? Third, there's a global pandemic that has upended things in sports, travel, employment and life. It's simply not business as usual right now. Russo is being a dingbat here. The NHLPA simply shouldn't be advocating for a non-member to take a job from a member, especially now. And all this talk of the league screwing the Wild is petulance.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I mean, I get the frustration. But if they don't sign Makar they technically risk him becoming a free agent. There's a real time limit. Kaprizov's rights will still be around for at least three more years (not to mention they could have tried to sign him, you know, four years ago). Second, Makar was an amateur athlete, not a pro who just played an entire professional season. There's a reason an NHL team can't sign a guy from a different NHL team after his team gets eliminated, right? Third, there's a global pandemic that has upended things in sports, travel, employment and life. It's simply not business as usual right now. Russo is being a dingbat here. The NHLPA simply shouldn't be advocating for a non-member to take a job from a member, especially now. And all this talk of the league screwing the Wild is petulance.

None of this hits.

Makar had two more years before he could walk.

The league a prospect comes from doesn't matter.

An NHL team signing a pending UFA from an eliminated team is not even remotely comparable.

Using the pandemic as a scapegoat for doing whatever you want with no reason is petulance.

I'm fine if they're saying it's on pause until they figure out how they're going to proceed with the season. I'm fine with them looking at it later, and if they come up with a valid reason to pause that rule for this season, not allowing any of the players to play. The issue is that, so far, they've come out and said, "yeah we're not doing that anymore because reasons," and that's not acceptable.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Must have signed in the past week or so, because I found this article:

Guerin remains optimistic regarding Kaprizov contract

Sounds like he has an agent in mind and is close to signing?

In the comment section of "What's up with Kirill Kaprizov?" article, Russo said:

gKysOjp.png

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
None of this hits.

Makar had two more years before he could walk.

The league a prospect comes from doesn't matter.

An NHL team signing a pending UFA from an eliminated team is not even remotely comparable.

Using the pandemic as a scapegoat for doing whatever you want with no reason is petulance.

I'm fine if they're saying it's on pause until they figure out how they're going to proceed with the season. I'm fine with them looking at it later, and if they come up with a valid reason to pause that rule for this season, not allowing any of the players to play. The issue is that, so far, they've come out and said, "yeah we're not doing that anymore because reasons," and that's not acceptable.

Would it shock me for the league to change course on this? Especially when there's some schedule clarity. Not at all. But it's certainly not all about "the league doesn't like the Wild" which I keep seeing people say. No team gets to sign new contracts right now. And the reason is a disease that killed 100,000 Americans in three months, not some caprice.

The basic principle of sports is you have your team, maybe you make a couple changes at the trade deadline. If Kaprizov were under contract and on loan, it would be different. I have no problem with the league's freeze here. Give Gerry and Anas a chance first.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Would it shock me for the league to change course on this? Especially when there's some schedule clarity. Not at all. But it's certainly not all about "the league doesn't like the Wild" which I keep seeing people say. No team gets to sign new contracts right now. And the reason is a disease that killed 100,000 Americans in three months, not some caprice.

The basic principle of sports is you have your team, maybe you make a couple changes at the trade deadline. If Kaprizov were under contract and on loan, it would be different. I have no problem with the league's freeze here. Give Gerry and Anas a chance first.

Every single year there are players that sign with like 3 games remaining or even zero games remaining and play in the NHL playoffs. Every year.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Every single year there are players that sign with like 3 games remaining or even zero games remaining and play in the NHL playoffs. Every year.

And if 100,000 people hadn't died from Covid-19 Kaprizov might have been another one. As it is, he won't be. And I've given several reasons besides that why the league has some justification. By the way, I'm not a Bill Daly burner account.

I mean the first two iterations of this thread were complaining about why Chuck Fletcher waited until 2018 to visit Kaprizov in Russia. Why after spending a pick on the first overall KHL pick, he didn't also tap someone with Russian knowledge to help the relationship in case being the first overall pick in the draft of the world's second best league ALSO meant he was good at hockey. Instead we get so much confusion and frustration.

Regardless, I do think the situation of adding a pro is different from adding a junior-level player or a college player. And the KHL and NHL should figure out a more cooperative stance on development, loans, honoring contracts and overall commitment to doing what's best for the sport's sustainability and excellence.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
And if 100,000 people hadn't died from Covid-19 Kaprizov might have been another one. As it is, he won't be. And I've given several reasons besides that why the league has some justification. By the way, I'm not a Bill Daly burner account.

I mean the first two iterations of this thread were complaining about why Chuck Fletcher waited until 2018 to visit Kaprizov in Russia. Why after spending a pick on the first overall KHL pick, he didn't also tap someone with Russian knowledge to help the relationship in case being the first overall pick in the draft of the world's second best league ALSO meant he was good at hockey. Instead we get so much confusion and frustration.

Regardless, I do think the situation of adding a pro is different from adding a junior-level player or a college player. And the KHL and NHL should figure out a more cooperative stance on development, loans, honoring contracts and overall commitment to doing what's best for the sport's sustainability and excellence.

It wasn't when it was Radulov and Sobotka.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

You haven't given one single legitimate justification as to why that rule should change for this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad