Kiril Tulupov, Danis-Peppin, Ben Shutron

X-SHARKIE

All three defenseman were taken in 06 and have tremendous upside, but all with certain flaws or marks against their games.

If you were calling the shots on draft day which of these three would you draft? I've only seen Tulupov once but he looked like a game changing defenseman. Danis-Peppin didn't get any ice time, and Shutron is small but highly skilled puck moving defenseman.

So who would you take? or do you have any thoughts on the three 06 defenseman?

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
All three defenseman were taken in 06 and have tremendous upside, but all with certain flaws or marks against their games.

If you were calling the shots on draft day which of these three would you draft? I've only seen Tulupov once but he looked like a game changing defenseman. Danis-Peppin didn't get any ice time, and Shutron is small but highly skilled puck moving defenseman.

I don't know enough about Tulupov. (Ok, truly, I don't know enough about any of them... but... at least I've watched the other two enough on TV to take the standard HF shot in the dark from the comfort of my armchair.)

Danis-Peppin didn't seem to do much at all the times I saw him for Maine on TV. I'm not a fan of drafting the towering gawky project type early in the draft. It could always work out. But I guess you have to know a lot more about him than we can ever know from our armchair spots in order to make that pick. :dunno:

By contrast, I do think Shutron is a good player. From watching him a dozen or more times in the OHL the last couple of years, I sometimes get the sense that the "highly skilled puck-moving" side of his game is somewhat overrated in the scouting reports and that his "diminutive size" is sometimes over-emphasized. I don't think he's anything like the sort of typical smallish smooth puck-mover that he sometimes gets pigeon-holed as. I do see Shutron sometimes as more of a tee-it-up-and-blast it kind of pointman (he has a heavy shot that I find is more often overlooked, whereas I don't find him to be quite the elite rusher and passer that he's sometimes described as) and he is at least occasionally a bit scrappy out there. Well, getting a bit scrappier anyway. He's not super-quick IMO. The new rule clampdown in the OHL did give him some trouble with some of his stickwork and he'll have to learn to play his position better to compensate. I kind of want to use Mathieu Schneider as a comparison, because from my days of seeing Schneider more regularly as a Habs fan, I would say that his work on the point and his occasional random scrappiness and lack of true smoothness reminds me of Shutron. Or maybe if he can sustain the increase in scrappiness on his resume, he might start to be a bit of a Duncan Keith type, to borrow a more modern Hawks comparable? :dunno:

Anyway, familiarity with Shutron, bias against big gawky project picks, and lack of any independent opinion on Tulupov kind of makes it pointless for me to pick between them. I'd only end up saying Shutron just because he's the only I really know and I'm comfortable with what he brings.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

What kind of defensmen is Kiril Tulupov, Vladamir Malakhov or Roman Hamrlik type or more like Sami Salo. Never seen him play ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad