Kingston Frontenacs 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Who is the Front since 1990 that had made the biggest impact in the NHL. The rule is that they had to be drafted and played all the junior games in kingston.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Brand, frasca and Edmonds??

I originally thought Dugas would be a lock because he's shown flashes of brilliance but now that Meriläinen has signed I'm guessing he's expendable so yeah I think it'll be Frasca, Edmonds and either Peric or Brand - Brand is definitely the more physical presence but Peric has a more balanced game.

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
I originally thought Dugas would be a lock because he's shown flashes of brilliance but now that Meriläinen has signed I'm guessing he's expendable so yeah I think it'll be Frasca, Edmonds and either Peric or Brand - Brand is definitely the more physical presence but Peric has a more balanced game.
A backup oa goalie would seem wasteful and not that fair to him either, he deserves a chance to play

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
I'll give it a shot but I expect it to be quite different to the actual depth chart when the season starts.

I expect Dugas to be moved - with Meriläinen coming over he's expendable. Absolutely zero idea about lines - there may be some standouts from camp that I haven't heard about that are pushing to make the team, and I also think I might've not split up the experience very well - only Callens has OHL experience in my bottom 6.

This doesn't include Zayde Wisdom who's gonna be out for a while after shoulder surgery - When he returns he'll slot at RW on the first line and I everyone else would likely just shift down a spot in the lineup.

Anyone else have thoughts?

LWCRW
ChromiakWrightEdmonds
ArcuriFrascaSoto
CallensLudwinskiHeyes
StewartPooleThibodeau/Brooks
DD
MurrayPeric
HacheCostantino
RitchieBudnick
Burns
G
Meriläinen
Dugas
Spooner
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: LDN

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Ludwinski should be impactful at 3rd line centre spot, and team seems set to contend for top spot in East.

Reactions: LDN

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Ludwinski should be impactful at 3rd line centre spot, and team seems set to contend for top spot in East.

Kingston has a good shot at the east for sure. I just hope that management does not try to gain further by making trades like they have when the team has been good.

Is wright eligible this year or next year for the draft?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Kingston has a good shot at the east for sure. I just hope that management does not try to gain further by making trades like they have when the team has been good.

Is wright eligible this year or next year for the draft?

He is eligible to be drafted this coming year as he turns 18 on Jan 4
Expected to go #1

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Thoughts after the first live game in a year and a half
  • To the surprise of absolutely no one, Wright is still an absolute stud - hasn't lost a step and you can tell he's an amazing leader.
  • Jake Murray looks really good - he was okay in 2019-2020 but still had some really bad mental lapses but there was none of that last night. Had a beauty of a clean hit on a forward coming through the middle with his head down.
  • Nathan Poole is going to be a fan favourite - I didn't see a ton of offense generation from him but he was incredibly physical and had several huge hits. Should be a staple on their energy/checking line.
  • Jackson Stewart is along the same lines - not as big as Poole but definitely more of a **** disturber - he was constantly getting under Petes' skin but never crossed the line.
  • Mason Vaccari played only the third but definitely looked better than Aidan Spooner - still remains what to be seen what will be done with Ryan Dugas but the Spooner/Vaccari battle should eventually be for the back-up job behing Merilainen
  • Ludwinski looks really good - he was always around the puck, making plays and very confident calling for the puck when he got to open spaces
  • Lucas Edmonds was an amazing addition - he looked like their second best player after Wright and you can tell the experience he has playing against men over in Sweden is really valuable
  • Their young Dmen are quite raw - Costantino, Budnick and Burns all had couple misplays but, especially in the case of Costantino, the potential is definitely there. It was obvious they missed Braden Hache (at FLA camp).
  • Matthew Soto was the biggest disappointment - I didn't really notice him making any plays even though he was on a line with Frasca and Edmonds. Obviously it's only one game so there's no use making statements. Thibodeau and Brooks both looked much better.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
This is going to be Kingston's year the trick is to realize that this is a team that can go all the way and not to look for rental players to make the team better.

Finally, they have gotten to a point where they have the draft picks back and the team not only has this year but also the next year.

Let's face it Wright will not be back next year. But every time the Fronts have traded for star to assist it has gone wrong.

Hopefully, the ownership has finally woken up to this.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
This is going to be Kingston's year the trick is to realize that this is a team that can go all the way and not to look for rental players to make the team better.

Finally, they have gotten to a point where they have the draft picks back and the team not only has this year but also the next year.

Let's face it Wright will not be back next year. But every time the Fronts have traded for star to assist it has gone wrong.

You might need to see the rosters of Barrie and Hamilton. No team is going all the way without adding; including one significant addition.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014

I'm not sure if they have next year... Wright will 100% be in the NHL, Wisdom and Chromiak should be in the AHL, Merilainen will likely either be in the AHL or go back over to Liiga to play against men - that's a lot of talent heading out the door, among others likely Arcuri who could challenge for an AHL spot next year with a good year this year.

Offensively - they have definitely have the depth, and Wisdom could act as a defacto deadline pick-up (I think I've seen his timeline as returning somewhere around Jan) - but they 100% need a stud defenseman, ideally an offensive one to QB the PP - I'm not exactly who all is available but I think the package going the other way would revolve around Soto and/or Brooks.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I'm not sure if they have next year... Wright will 100% be in the NHL, Wisdom and Chromiak should be in the AHL, Merilainen will likely either be in the AHL or go back over to Liiga to play against men - that's a lot of talent heading out the door, among others likely Arcuri who could challenge for an AHL spot next year with a good year this year.

Offensively - they have definitely have the depth, and Wisdom could act as a defacto deadline pick-up (I think I've seen his timeline as returning somewhere around Jan) - but they 100% need a stud defenseman, ideally an offensive one to QB the PP - I'm not exactly who all is available but I think the package going the other way would revolve around Soto and/or Brooks.

AHL at 19 for OHL players is for this year only as of now, and only 16 yr old 1st picks can be traded; so expect Arcuri & Brooks back next season.
I 100% agree that Soto, maybe Budnick will be used to acquire that RD. I expect Kingston to make a couple of big additions if they are serious about winning this season because I think Hamilton and Barrie could be top 3 teams in the entire league

Last edited:

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
AHL at 19 for OHL players is for this year only as of now, and only 16 yr old 1st picks can be traded; so expect Arcuri & Brooks back next season.
I 100% agree that Soto, maybe Budnick will be used to acquire that RD. I expect Kingston to make a couple of big additions if they are serious about winning this season because I think Hamilton and Barrie could be top 3 teams in the entire league
Personally, I think Kingston is comfortably ahead of Hamilton and a bit ahead of Barrie at the moment. But, if they stand pat, with all of Barrie's picks or Foerster returns, they could get passed. When you have the best player you've ever had in franchise history in his last year, you don't worry about next year. In the past they have traded futures to simply make the playoffs, but this is not the same. At the end of the year I would expect all seconds and thirds to be exhausted and Soto to be in another uniform. They can recover some picks next year trading Arcuri, Callens, etc.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Personally, I think Kingston is comfortably ahead of Hamilton and a bit ahead of Barrie at the moment. But, if they stand pat, with all of Barrie's picks or Foerster returns, they could get passed. When you have the best player you've ever had in franchise history in his last year, you don't worry about next year. In the past they have traded futures to simply make the playoffs, but this is not the same. At the end of the year I would expect all seconds and thirds to be exhausted and Soto to be in another uniform. They can recover some picks next year trading Arcuri, Callens, etc.

In 2017-18, Kingston was 2nd best in conference, probably as good as any in the league if NB didn’t show Hamilton and anyone else watching that Helvig was incapable of stopping play on any shot blocker side. Injuries to Day and Jones certainly hurt…I saw every home game post deadline and most road games televised that season.
I also saw the phenomenal RMC-Queens game that year for the first time. The crowd was more hyped than Finland-Sweden 2010 Olympics.
Our personal opinions differ this season, as I see Hamilton as the best team in the east currently; and Barrie next with the most talent at the top, and (all-in).

Last edited:
Reactions: ottsabrefan

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
My point is that adding A player to fill A spot is not a bad thing. However, emptying the cupboard and trading the team's future like this ownership has a habit in the past is what I am talking about.

This is Kingston's year. Barrie, from what I read, needs a goalie. Hamilton has a good team, but that means nothing.

This is a team with Wright and Merlainen, and they will draw fans to the games.

That is what ownership wants. Hamilton and Barrie, you do not need to worry about finding a second line that can score and take the pressure off of Wright. In the playoffs, you need a team that can play the defensive parts of the game and hit and grind. That should not be up to Wright.

Just please, ownership does not make mass trades early in the season waist until near the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad