Kingston Frontenacs 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
P1AW Considering that the team has very little in the way of draft picks, no history of anyone other than Gill developing first-round choices and not a lot returning was the 3rd round 5 and out worth it?

To my historical eyes, it seems that Kingston has gone back to the Mavety style of go for it and let the fans have nothing for the next 3 years.

Also how many Fronts alumni played in the NHL playoffs?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Looking at the draft data base Kingston fans have to be concerned about the draft cupboard. One second round pick in the next 9 years and a bunch of thirds missing. The power that be took a swing for the fences and missed at the expense of the future. It's almost like they sanctioned themselves. Not sure how they replace what they gave up?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Looking at the draft data base Kingston fans have to be concerned about the draft cupboard. One second round pick in the next 9 years and a bunch of thirds missing. The power that be took a swing for the fences and missed at the expense of the future. It's almost like they sanctioned themselves. Not sure how they replace what they gave up?

Trade Gabe Vilardi and Jason Robertson. That'll get it all back

Reactions: rangersblues

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
I am sure Vilardi will be in the NHL, but Robertson will have another year in the OHL.

I'd like to see Robertson in Saginaw for some picks as Kingston obviously needs them and Saginaw has a boat load of them. We need a high end scorer, and Robertson back in the USA would fit perfect.

Reactions: OSA

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I am sure Vilardi will be in the NHL, but Robertson will have another year in the OHL.

I'd like to see Robertson in Saginaw for some picks as Kingston obviously needs them and Saginaw has a boat load of them. We need a high end scorer, and Robertson back in the USA would fit perfect.

There's 19 other teams who'd love to have Jason Robertson......

Vilardi is 60/40 to the NHL I think

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
There's 19 other teams who'd love to have Jason Robertson......

Vilardi is 60/40 to the NHL I think
Still other than the 2018 second that was gone there are nine missing and 5 3rds going forward to 2028. That would have to be a huge want for any contending team to give up one would think. I am sure some contenders would give up a good chunk to get him but there is still a chance the Fronts keep him because they need something to keep fans in the building.

MisterDB

Apr 5, 2012
If Vilardi returns, (big if) it probably won't be until after LA takes a good look at him (what ever they are allowed to keep him 9 or 10 gms,) so late fall. Then if he does return he would probably be selected for the WJC. so lost for most of Dec up to trade deadline.

There is no way Kingston can keep him. He has to be traded for assets. There are 3 conditional picks in his and Day's trade 3-2023, 2-2027 and 2-2028. So they recoup these draft picks if he stays up with LA but lose them if he returns.

Just to put things in perspective, for selling the farm, the Frontenacs net trade result was 2 extra home games in the playoffs this year. It is going to take a lot of time and work to build another team with potential to go beyond a second round. The cost of going for it, looks great if one goes to the OHL finals not so much if one doesn't.

Last edited:

MisterDB

Apr 5, 2012
I haven't said much lately but I do want to convey some history into the Frontenacs franchise delema.

The decision to go for it was made, right or wrong it was an upper management decision. This years results have a few fans doing do hindsight and are not too happy.

So after 45 years the most successful Kingston team as far as playoffs go ........ the 1977 Canadians who lost to the OHA champs Ott in the 3rd round . This was the OHA where there were 12 teams and winning a series was based on who got 7 pts first in rds 2 and 3. Kingston went 3 wins, 1 tie and 4 losses, when the dust settle it was Ottawa on top.

Remember 45 years and only 2 regular season titles. There were/are no playoff conference title wins which means Kingstn has never made it past the 3rd round.

Kingston has made it to the 3rd round only 4 times in 45 years, ....4 time.

Will it be another long haul before the next 3rd round appearance

3rd Round Results

Year

Team

GF

GA

Team

Canadians

67's OHA CH

Canadians

SSM

Frontenacs

Ptb OHL Ch

Frontenacs

Ham
Total goals

Games Played

Games Won

Games Tied

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
I haven't said much lately but I do want to convey some history into the Frontenacs franchise delema.

The decision to go for it was made, right or wrong it was an upper management decision. This years results have a few fans doing do hindsight and are not too happy.

So after 45 years the most successful Kingston team as far as playoffs go ........ the 1977 Canadians who lost to the OHA champs Ott in the 3rd round . This was the OHA where there were 12 teams and winning a series was based on who got 7 pts first in rds 2 and 3. Kingston went 3 wins, 1 tie and 4 losses, when the dust settle it was Ottawa on top.

Remember 45 years and only 2 regular season titles. There were/are no playoff conference title wins which means Kingstn has never made it past the 3rd round.

Kingston has made it to the 3rd round only 4 times in 45 years, ....4 time.

Will it be another long haul before the next 3rd round appearance

3rd Round Results
YearTeamGFGATeam
1977Canadians253767's OHA CH
1981Canadians1530SSM
1993Frontenacs2333Ptb OHL Ch
2018Frontenacs1023Ham
Total goals73123
Games Played25
Games Won7
Games Tied2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I don’t know if it’s fair to judge the decision based on losing to an equally good team. Not making those deals and losing in the 1st or 2nd and then having to rebuild again anyway wouldn’t be all that much better. They’re going to recoup plenty of picks this year by trading a few guys and they will be in basically the same spot they would’ve been in anyway.

Reactions: rangersblues

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit
If Vilardi returns, (big if) it probably won't be until after LA takes a good look at him (what ever they are allowed to keep him 9 or 10 gms,) so late fall. Then if he does return he would probably be selected for the WJC. so lost for most of Dec up to trade deadline.

There is no way Kingston can keep him. He has to be traded for assets. There are 3 conditional picks in his and Day's trade 3-2023, 2-2027 and 2-2028. So they recoup these draft picks if he stays up with LA but lose them if he returns.

Just to put things in perspective, for selling the farm, the Frontenacs net trade result was 2 extra home games in the playoffs this year. It is going to take a lot of time and work to build another team with potential to go beyond a second round. The cost of going for it, looks great if one goes to the OHL finals not so much if one doesn't.
The 2023 pick belongs to Windsor as the condition was if he plays a playoff game.
Fronts would be in a better position if Vilardi returns because the 2027/28 picks are useless now.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Kingston re-tooled pretty quick after adding DaCoille & Deroshers two seasons ago; and, should have no problem re-building this time around with Paquette, Brahaney, Robertson, Neumann and maybe Rasenen & Nyman and possibly Cal Davis and 25% chance of Villaardi returned for WJC and then OHL.
That would still leave them with pretty good OA in Cranbrook, Hotchkiss, Byrne; and two year players Ali, Bonello, Burnie, Brand...pieces are there for a shorter re-build

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Vilardi is more like 80/20 or 90/10 and the 10-20 is only subject to health. The kid has zero to prove in the OHL.

I would think just staying relatively healthy for a season would be something. He's played 81 regular season games the past 2 seasons combined; less than a full NHL season. Injuries are a result of bad luck but he needs to build up his endurance and play a full season if nothing else. A good showing at WJC wouldn't hurt his development either. I think he's back for his final season.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Wow I’d be very, very surprised if Vilardi is returned to Kingston next year. The Kings are starved for offence and I’d imagine they’ll give the kid every opportunity possible to make the team.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Kingston re-tooled pretty quick after adding DaCoille & Deroshers two seasons ago; and, should have no problem re-building this time around with Paquette, Brahaney, Robertson, Neumann and maybe Rasenen & Nyman and possibly Cal Davis and 25% chance of Villaardi returned for WJC and then OHL.
That would still leave them with pretty good OA in Cranbrook, Hotchkiss, Byrne; and two year players Ali, Bonello, Burnie, Brand...pieces are there for a shorter re-build

Nyman is playing pro in Europe next year. Can't see any scenario where Jason Robertson isn't traded next year

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Wow I’d be very, very surprised if Vilardi is returned to Kingston next year. The Kings are starved for offence and I’d imagine they’ll give the kid every opportunity possible to make the team.

windsor basically traded him after LA told him he wouldnt be back next year.

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
Only issue may be that LA has 3 pretty good centres already, and they won’t want him on the 4th line. Add to that the fact that they rarely bring a guy straight to the league without spending some time in the minors. Perhaps they keep Vilardi next year and let him play the wing though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad