Kingston Frontenacs 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
If this is a rebuild year would you guys trade Rasanen? He would look great in a Knights uniform!

PuckDrop123

Nov 10, 2017
Ok, I'll bite. Why aren't there many Fronts fans posting here or anywhere? What is up with the fan base?

I could start with the fact that, in a military city, a Remembrance Day game is far from sold out. I could start with the fact that our ex-GM now "President of Hockey Ops" wants to free up more time to do his book tour than turn this team into a contender. I could talk about the lack of marketing, community involvement, and interaction to the fan base. OR I could talk about the fact that when ticket prices get unreasonable in the playoffs for a team that until the last two season hadn't won a playoff series in 24 years decided to blame YOU the fan for the reason that no one shows up.

The inefficiency with this organization and lack of motivation is what is killing them. And the worst part? Since Paul McFarland took over as coach and up to present, they've had a good team. The coaches and players are not to blame. The "President of Hockey Ops" and his business staff are to blame.

The fact that most nights the team struggles to draw 3500 people is tough. Especially when they've not only got a great team but that there are THREE colleges/universities in Kingston with RMC, Queen's, and St Lawrence. How you manage to turn away post secondary students from coming to your games is beyond me. And they've also got a passionate population of armed forces members that you could be reaching out to. But yet you never see any outreach to anyone about Fronts tickets. There is no marketing of this team. There is ONE ad in Kingston about the Frontenacs and it's from Gabriel's Pizza about a Fronts themed pizza. How are people supposed to know about you?

Next is the community involvement. Take into account a team like the Soo Greyhounds who take advantage of every opportunity to get out in the community. Whether it be some eco-friendly initiative or going to visit kids at the hospital (something that doesn't involve money coming into your pockets) they're always out and about. The Frontenacs go to schools (by getting you to buy tickets to a game) and that's it for reaching out to kids. The only other thing would be team events at sponsors (Farm Boy or Home Depot) where they're there because the sponsors are paying them to honor their agreement. Is this the player's fault? Not at all, this is a business team's job to connect with fans and the community. They do nothing.

Doug Gilmour released a statement this summer saying he was promoting himself to "President of Hockey Ops" so that he could focus on his book tour... how much confidence does that inspire in him as a GM? Not only is the guy in Toronto every other week for some promotion, he's almost never in Kingston. Now, if he wasn't going to put in the work of going out and scouting at all the AAA tournaments and such, why would he take on a GM job? Ego. The same reason why he promoted himself to GM after his coaching tenure yielded nothing but mediocre results.

Lastly, during the playoffs last year, the Fronts struggled to draw even 4000 for a game on a team that was just as exciting as the 2016 team that had Dal Colle, Mckeown, and Crouse. Not to mention that some tickets were even in the 30$ range from 20-25 during the regular season. When people (rightfully so) decided they weren't going to pay astronomical money like that, the Fronts decided to attack. Despite the obvious ticket prices being the problem, they went to the media and expressed that it was not ticket prices but that it was the fans' fault. Now, I'm no front office worker, but how do you expect to draw from the limited fan base that still likes you when you say that it's their fault the attendance is poor and not yours? This city has been jerked around for too long by this organization and they need to make some massive changes. Time to show some accountability and admit that they've somehow managed to turn the better part of a city away from them. This is why their attendance struggles, this is why the fan base is dead, this is why it's hard to attract young players to this team.

Reactions: OSMike

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
Ok, I'll bite. Why aren't there many Fronts fans posting here or anywhere? What is up with the fan base?

This was a really good post.

Just as a little note, I think when you look at the old Fronts forum and the NOOF, there were always a very select few regular posters. Kingston traditionally has never really had an overwhelming online presence like some of the other OHL teams. The posters are still posting -- MisterDB, fan75, Duke Guy, Sidney the Kidney (Get a Clue), beastintheeast (no caps lock, eh?) -- are all still around.

As for your post itself, I think you're right to a certain extent, but at the end of the day, I feel it's just arrogance. Kingston had a long-standing "older crowd" following at the Mem Center. They were showing up regardless. The team decided to revamp their local image with a new downtown rink because "they needed it for a Mem Cup bid", and by doing so, I believe pushed out a lot of their loyal fanbase with the move. I know quite a few longtime season ticket holders, who were at the K-Rock for a few seasons and decided not to renew after. The downtown rink was supposed to be good for business; the team just assumed people would show up without marketing or actually cater to the downtown crowd. It doesn't make sense to me. I believe they were poorly promoted, the in-game experience is barely subpar and the community outreach is lacking. I follow the team still even though I don't live in Kingston anymore, but Springer in Co. doesn't really care about the hardcore fans, they just assume they'll show up without putting any effort in. Now they try to attract the casual fan, but that's really not enough.

A poster said, "Kingston doesn't deserve a team." What a crock. They deserve a team who gives a damn about them. They've had zero success. They should be bending over backward for the fans; not pricing them out. I was a STH holder in my mid-teens, I saved up all my money for tickets -- could I do that now? Hell no. I went to Queen's and I think I recall only a few times ever even hearing about the Frontenacs. They need to win and/or actually market this team properly, not sit on their laurels with their sweetheart rink deal and blame the fans for not showing up. Take some of that money and re-invest in the team. I have no clue how Jeff Stillwell did it for so long. Kingston deserves better than Springer, end of story. The buck stops there.

Reactions: OSMike and OSA

MisterDB

Apr 5, 2012
I wasn't going to but here is why I have backed off posting.

I've done my time, I attended my first Frontenacs game when they were the original Frontenacs in 1959 - EPHL, I have had season tickets with the Aces 1969 to present day Frontenacs. I have seen a lot as they say over a long period of time.

The hot stovers now are few and far between, several have quit coming and even worse several are now playing in the big game in the sky, my heart still aches for them.

I have posted thousands of threads on the old forum and used to posted every fight video, team highlights make DVDs for my fav players but not anymore mostly due to the cease and desist request from the cable giants and partly because it tool a lot of time. Now with the new forum change, which I hate and refuse to use. over there I quit posting like many.

I have been in many a forum "war" and often will get accused of negativity when in fact I was being constructively critical no more, I'm tired and enjoy not battling or commenting on everything. There are something the Fronts are doing right and somethings I just shake my head at.

The game (OHL) has changed and not for the better it is a mere shadow of what it was, I miss the old barn but understand the business need for the new arena. Costs are skyrocketing and at this stage are starting to head into not getting value for the dollar spent.

I don't care if they win or lose or get into the playoffs my big concern is the entertainment value on the ice and like my previous statement it sure is starting to waine.

Suffice to say Ii will post when motivated until then cheers.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
so they are trying to win this year? who starts next year, i hope not bonello. this doesnt make any sense for them. its not like the return was great either.

Reactions: H0CKEY17

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
so they are trying to win this year? who starts next year, i hope not bonello. this doesnt make any sense for them. its not like the return was great either.

The only way I can see this making any sense is now Kingston moves Helvig to OS and then gets DiPietro? They have a young team so he would help them this year win a round or 2 then they could have a championship level team next year. Other than that, no idea

Reactions: Noofgoof

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The only way I can see this making any sense is now Kingston moves Helvig to OS and then gets DiPietro? They have a young team so he would help them this year win a round or 2 then they could have a championship level team next year. Other than that, no idea

agree but windsor isnt moving dipietro this year. it looks more like they are trying to win now, i just dont get why moving peccia was done, its not like oshawa offered a 2nd or pics that you should value. peccia is worth more as a back up then what the pics are worth.

Reactions: H0CKEY17

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
In his own mind and a few select Laffs fans maybe BUT NOT IN KINGSTON.

Springer and company along with the city tried to almost kill hockey. The city had the perfect location with lots of parking to build an arena but the fact that it was not near a Springer hotel shot it down.

Like MiswterDb I have been around hockey in Kington for a great deal of my life except for a period of service in the military that took me to places that had their own hockey. And a stint as part of the 67's 90's juggernaut under Killer.

That team had very little money for marketing but we did it anyway. Book Riley for trade shows or birthdays, we did store appearances with players, we had meet the player gatherings for the fanbase, Killer opened practices so that kids could skate with the players and go into the dressing room. We never missed an opportunity to showcase the team. CHEO was always looked after by both players and staff. We gave away used items and made the parents and kids happy. We looked after people. Granted we never had 6000 fans at a game but it was still an outing.

The hot stove people were part of the team in that they were listened to.

When I came back to Kingston in 99 it was just like old home week. The hot stove people welcomed me into the fold and understood my motivation. we treated each other with respect but the talk was always good and constant. The game might and usually did suck under Mav but the entertainment was having Browns fries and coffee and talking hockey with Friends.

Those were the days that I miss the most in my life. When did it end MisterDb and all the faithful will answer the same way as me.

When we moved out of the M centre.

Parking at the new spot sucks you can't walk around the arena the prices are out of this world and the service last time I was there sucked.

Pope Francis 1

Mar 13, 2013
Everything that has been stated about ownership sounds about spot on based on what I have witnessed and what I hear from others who have been long time hockey guys in the area. I know a number of people that stopped being STHs just because they refuse to put money into the coffers. Kingston needs new ownership and then hit the restart button.

MisterDB

Apr 5, 2012
Basically a headcheck / from the front. He knocked the kid out of the game. The kid never returned and was bleeding from a big cut across the forehead area. The kid did not dress for the next game either, a top end D man. Should have been a major called right then and there but wasn't, Gill was very unhappy for OS and probably submitted the video the the league

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
What did Tyler Burnie do to get 8 games.....
Burnie was acting out in the Kitchener game also. Big tough kid. Guess he thought it was a good time to push a few smaller players around with Hall and Stanley out. It back fired on him as he caused the PP that won the game and went off with a pair of sore nuts at the end:eek:

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Despite all of the negative talk there are a couple of things I like about the Fronts:

1. Half-way through the season and they are the #3 seed in the Eastern Conference;

2. While things could change by the time of the trade deadline in 3 weeks, the team is looking even stronger for next year. All but 3 players could return next season. Teams like Hamilton and Oshawa will be losing a minimum of 8 players while Peterborough loses 7.

MisterDB

Apr 5, 2012
Stay tuned

" General manager Darren Keily said the Frontenacs will be buyers before the Jan. 10 trading deadline. The league’s trade ban over the holidays ended Thursday. "

per the Whig article below

Fronts ready for second half

spitsfan24

Mar 18, 2017
Vilardi and Day to the Fronts for Cody Morgan, 4 x 2nd round picks, 2 x 3rd picks and 2 x 2nd round picks (cond), per twitter.

What's the deal on this Morgan kid?

Reactions: P1AW4
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad