Kingston Frontenacs 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Only issue may be that LA has 3 pretty good centres already, and they won’t want him on the 4th line. Add to that the fact that they rarely bring a guy straight to the league without spending some time in the minors. Perhaps they keep Vilardi next year and let him play the wing though.

i just know that they told the spits that they were keeping him next year, so theyd know better than any of us.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The problem for Kingston is that they lose Helvig and again have to hope that the back up can be the starter. Robertson may be good but you are not going to get the draft picks that you need.

The Fronts have a history of being bottom of the pack after seasons like this. The one thing they had in their favor was that they have a coach that has them play defense. and they had a goalie that held them in games.

I would think that it is going to be very difficult for this to be a contending team next year. You lose a great deal of your offense that got you into the playoffs.

Like MisterDb I was one of those people that were around 45 years ago and this team this year was nothing like that team.

If you look at the league most teams next year will have 4 new players that they drafted high playing for them. Kingston will have one that if history proves anything they will leave to rot until they trade him.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
TheScout.ca Retweeted
Kingston Frontenacs‏Verified account @KingstonFronts 2h2 hours ago

We have locked up our top pick!
@jake_murray43 has signed his Standard Player Agreement.
READ:

http://kingstonfrontenacs.com/article/jake-murray-signs-standard-player-agreement …
pic.twitter.com/GBCKFmRAKF
DdKXP2oVMAYQmKi.jpg

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Varady was only in Kingston for a year but can anyone give us a scouting report on his style and approach?

boknows

Oct 15, 2015
I really can't believe the inactivity on this thread. Comeon Fronts fans! There has to be some excitement for your team

Reactions: Drop the Puck

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Well I think the Fronts are in for a tough year and will be picking high in April.

The good news for Fronts fans is that the team could be heading into training camp this time next year with Shane Wright on the roster. Wouldn’t that be nice!

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
So former Fronts prospect Colin Van Den Hurk signs with the Charlottetown Islanders of the QMJHL.

After two successful seasons with the Voyageurs I’m surprised there wasn’t room for him with the Fronts.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I really can't believe the inactivity on this thread. Comeon Fronts fans! There has to be some excitement for your team

they were buying at the deadline and the guys who were talking were only complaining. i get the sense that fans dont realyl get excited here.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Fronts training camp roster:

http://ohl.uploads.s3.amazonaws.com...s/2018/08/27170453/Camp-Invites-Good-Good.pdf

Basically, tons of jobs up for grabs.. I expect Dugas to get the backup job (or even the starting job--Bonello isn't one that gives much confidence), as Sam Dingle and Matt Onuska are not eligible to play for Kingston this year (16-year olds--only can be called up for 10 games). And the roster is a lot thinner than it was last spring.. the result of so much graduation and emptying the cupboard.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Sam Dingle and Matt Onuska are not eligible to play for Kingston this year (16-year olds--only can be called up for 10 games)
Where did you here this rule? I thought each team can dress up to 4 16 year olds every game....

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Where did you here this rule? I thought each team can dress up to 4 16 year olds every game....

True, but the Fronts aren't wasting 4 of their underage spots on the OHL roster on goalies, especially considering Dugas is already signed to an OHL deal and basically is all but booked for the backup or starting job Plus, more likely they use the roster spots on scoring.

Regardless, it's going to be a very long year in Kingston.

Gutfir

Aug 27, 2018
Was Ryan Littlejohn at the main camp? I don't see him on the preseason roster. What happened there?

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
It looks like the Fronts have only dressed 11 forwards today. Does that sound right?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The problem that I see with this team is that it does not have the offence that is going to excite fans. I do not care what team you are you can not be a contender if you have no first round draft picks over a year old in your offence. The problem with this team is that they except when Gill was here ever give or gave their first-round picks time or a chance to develop.

My question is how long will Murray be with the team before he is traded or is he going to be treated like most rookies and sit as he 7th d on the team most game.

Kingston has like Ottawa an issue with goaltending. I still do not know why they traded bot Bonello.

There is no way to say it but that it will be a long year and as to get picks. When the other GM's smell blood they will make big trades only if there are lots in the kitchen.

Villardi is a nonstarter LA is not going to send him back to this team. He and Dipietro have proved all they need. If the Kings think he can make the team they will keep him this year and if necessary have him build his endurance and muscle.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
In a thread on the 67 site, I mentioned that the 67's had not made bad draft choices in the first round. Zaluty corrected me and said Kingston had made trades of 1st round players to make the team better.

Here are the facts for the past 10 years you decide.

2008 Gudbranson, Erik
2009 Quine, Alan no ice time traded for Spooner
2010 Gudbranson, Alex SSM 5 and done
2011 Max Domi never wanted to come hear told team he would not report. O playoffs
2012 sam bennet Gill Coach 4 and done
2013 Crouse Gill coach 7 and done
2014 Regan O’Grady 1st year traded due to lack of ice time 4 and done
2015 Robbie Burt MDC 9 and done
2016 Dunkley Cliff Pu 11 and done
2017 Cody Morgan Windsor for Villardi 16 and done
So looking at the history of this team a person has to wonder why the Fronts are not able to develop 1st round picks and have many players refuse to report is drafted.

If this team wants to market itself better and build a fan base it has to sign and develop players so that fans can get to know them. First round picks should be players that the team is going to play and develop. Fans are not going to come to the games if you are selling the farm nor are parent’s players and agents going to want to play for you.
Draft picks are no good if the skilled players are not going to sign if you draft them.

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
Beast once again you have said things that are true,half true and false. They have not had anybody refuse to report except Domi which turned into the following year McKeown and Bennett. You left McKeown off the first round list you posted above. O,Grady issue was not ice time as much as a hockey dad who wasn't willing to accept anything but first pairing minutes. Quine was seeing a regular shift. As for not developing first round picks I have no idea where you get that idea. They were traded for experienced players to make a deep push into the playoffs. I will grant you Burt was a bust but every one you mentioned from 2008-2014 was drafted into the NHL including McKeown who you missed. Maybe not first rounders but they were picked. I agree with you and I said so on the Ottawa page I would like them to keep their first rounders. You stated in your post many players refuse to report totally inaccurate all the players you list 10 plus 1 only one of those players have refused. Please get your facts straight and stop with the hyperbole.

One other thing you may or may not know Vilardi has back problems again. He is in LA but has not seen the ice yet and will not for the rookie camp. The LA GM has said it is some what concerning about his back. So who knows when he plays again and where

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Zaluty The players that refused were never drafted. many players tell teams before the draft do not draft me I am not interested. You only need to look at guys like Domi is not the only one to refuse. Ask some of the people that have been here. He is the only one you know of but looks at players that were drafted after them and ask why they did not get drafted to Kingston.

The perfect example is Tony Rizzi, Luke Pither. tony Rizzi. It was under Mav not s secret that players said no before the draft. Gilmour seems to have carried that on. A good team protects their number 1 and makes them an important part of the team unless of course, they drafted a player that is not ready for the OHL then they sit them on the bench. A 1st round pick should be given 3rd line minutes to develop not spend their time doing spot duty to the point that they are worried if they make a mistake they will get benched.

Villardi having a sore back leaves an easy answer. Like Bennett he will stay in LA and get looked after and evaluated by them. The fact that he is injured means that they do not have to pay him as much but that they can keep him there as long as they want and when he is healthy they can then play him and decide where he goes from there. It also sharply limits his trade value to Kingston but means they have to keep him on the roster or waive him.

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
I was around the team for years. Especially during the Mav years and yes you are right about most of those years but again I have to remind you that was the 80's and 90's mostly. If you want to go back further during the Blair years people like Kilger told teams not to draft them because they wanted to come to Kingston. I was on the draft floor when Lindros was coming to Kingston with the 3rd pick but he was picked 2nd. So yes kids have said no to Kingston but others have said yes especially lately. I just wish we could talk about the last few years without going back into ancient history. Kingston has had a decent run these last few years not a great run but this year will be tough and where ever they pick the kid will report. Enough on this subject you can have the last word. Good luck to you and Ottawa this year they look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->