GDT: Kings vs Wings

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
It's all depends on the price. If we get Nyquist for about 3 mill a year for next like 3-4 years , it's not that bad. Remember this year signing Mantha and AA. Vanek should be traded , Nielsen probably. This year we got Rasmussen and Cholo. Next year Veleno, Hronek,Zadina. You need to have balance youths and experience

Nike ain’t settling for $3M, not even in 7 year form. He’ll get at least what he’s making now and possibly more depending on term. Not likely from us though.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I hope people realize if they keep trending how they are, Howard and Nyquist will not be traded.

Discussing about trading and resigning players with someone who worked for the Red Wings, that doesn't happen. Plain and simple, it doesn't happen.

Howard may not be traded regardless. You don't want to leave a young team out dry but you also don't want to be competing for a free agent like Karlsson with Bernier/AHLer as your duo in net without a backup plan (no pun intended).

As for Nyquist, he'll have a say in whether he stays by virtue of contract negotiations. Can't see him forgoing free market bidders to take any sort of discount and there's no reason to think the Wings want to give him a fair market contract either. In fact, it's arguably reckless to offer Nyquist anything but a big discount on a short term given how many wingers will likely need big raises during the term of any deal Nyquist would want.

...Although, if we are in the playoff picture, I could totally see them trading Nyquist for a good return, then - if Holland is still calling the shots - turn around and trade something like a 3rd + B prospect to a team for a lesser UFA to "replace" him.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
December 22nd? Wear some santa gear and make Santarchy your post-game after party.
I bought my brother and I tickets for his Christmas present, we did our exchange this weekend, and we're staying the night still looking for something to do. What's that then, dress like Santa and get wasted with a bunch of Santas? Sounds fun

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
No way Nyquist signs for that. No way.

He's not taking a 1.75M pay cut particularly with him playing at almost a PPG clip this year.

Yeah, wasn't Panarin rumored to be asking $10-11m per to sign in Columbus and Skinner wanting $8-9M? Nyquist might not be in their pay bracket, but he's not going to come in at a 1/3 of their cost, either. And if some of the possible UFAs re-sign and take themselves off the market early, prices aren't going to come down a whole lot.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I bought my brother and I tickets for his Christmas present, we did our exchange this weekend, and we're staying the night still looking for something to do. What's that then, dress like Santa and get wasted with a bunch of Santas? Sounds fun

Lol, pretty much. Basically a bar crawl except there are buses that run every 15 minutes to take you around to the participating bars, mostly in Corktown. Its definitely not a high-class event but its usually a mixed age group of diverse backgrounds where pretty much everyone fits in. In the past I've gotten away with my "costume" just being some cheap santa hat although some people really do it up. I was thinking of going this year and looked it up today - that's why the December 22nd date rang a bell right away.

Reactions: Ezekial

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Yeah I don't think there's any way we can keep Nyquist. He's having a great year, but the problem is you don't get the "contract year" Nyquist every year.

Losing him, Vanek, and Kronwall opens up a lot of space. I think Howard ends up staying.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yeah, wasn't Panarin rumored to be asking $10-11m per to sign in Columbus and Skinner wanting $8-9M? Nyquist might not be in their pay bracket, but he's not going to come in at a 1/3 of their cost, either. And if some of the possible UFAs re-sign and take themselves off the market early, prices aren't going to come down a whole lot.

Loui Eriksson is a decent comparable. A few seasons ago he signed $6 million for 6 years. If I'm Nyquist, that's around where I try to land with price.

Reactions: Winger98

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Loui Eriksson is a decent comparable. A few seasons ago he signed $6 million for 6 years. If I'm Nyquist, that's around where I try to land with price.
And let's hope that Detroit isn't one of the teams interested in signing him to a deal like that. Gus has had a great season so far, but he's not a 6x6 kinda guy.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
And let's hope that Detroit isn't one of the teams interested in signing him to a deal like that. Gus has had a great season so far, but he's not a 6x6 kinda guy.

I don't think he is far from that. The average goes up every year a little and contracts move. Nyquist to me is a better player than Tatar and he is negotiating two years later on the cap. That might be the higher point on his salary but I would be stunned to see him in for under 5.5. He is that caliber of player in terms of long-term deal and cap hit.

If we do sign Nyquist, I would like to do it front loaded in case he doesn't fit later on. But he still has to be dealt at this trade deadline. If we want him back, I am fine with that, but he needs to be dealt at this trade deadline and return on July 1st if he is a member of the Wings next year.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I would dare say the history on many long term UFA signings is not pretty.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I don't think he is far from that. The average goes up every year a little and contracts move. Nyquist to me is a better player than Tatar and he is negotiating two years later on the cap. That might be the higher point on his salary but I would be stunned to see him in for under 5.5. He is that caliber of player in terms of long-term deal and cap hit.

If we do sign Nyquist, I would like to do it front loaded in case he doesn't fit later on. But he still has to be dealt at this trade deadline. If we want him back, I am fine with that, but he needs to be dealt at this trade deadline and return on July 1st if he is a member of the Wings next year.
With how he's playing right now, he's a $7M x 6 free agent. But I think the bulk of those next six years will be more dud than stud. Nyquist is too inconsistent for my liking, and will likely start declining halfway through his next deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad