GDT: Kings vs Wings

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Wings win and Vikings lose...

Don’t they know they were supposed to do that backwards?

I had a delightful evening. Cheers, oh sorry where are my manners... skol!

Disclaimer: My teams suck and I'm dead inside and I lash out just to feel again. BTW, I was at the Packers game in Minneapolis and it was the worst and I hated it and I'll never do it again until next year where obviously everything will be different.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I hope people realize if they keep trending how they are, Howard and Nyquist will not be traded.

Discussing about trading and resigning players with someone who worked for the Red Wings, that doesn't happen. Plain and simple, it doesn't happen.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I know he's super young, but I'm expecting more from Ras, he's been completely invisible the last few games imo

Ras looks awful rn. So passive

Ras isn't a NHL player currently. He doesn't do anything well. He'll be in the AHL next year without some serious improvement the remaining 50 games.

He’s hitting a wall right now. Normal for a lot of junior guys who are used to playing at a slower pace and not traveling as far.

I wasn’t a fan of the Ras pick at all so my bar is set pretty low but I think it’s encouraging that he hasn’t looked out of place more often than not at his age.

Couple other factors to consider is that he’s playing in a quasi checking role right now without much experience playing that role in his career and he’s had scant playing time with skilled centers. I’m not sure the coaching staff even has a good handle on what they want to do with him at even strength. Transitioning to pro hockey is hard enough. Transitioning to pro hockey while taking on a different role is surely harder. Transitioning to the pros while taking on a different role with NHL linemates who aren’t that good must be a doozy. Im not worried yet.

Coincidentally, I was looking at some stats today and although they don’t necessarily play a similar style, Timo Meier and Ras could be seen as comparable talents. I remember San Jose fans being disenchanted with him after his rookie debut but 2 years later, they love their 9OA. I could see a similar impact trajectory happening with Ras. Just give it time.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I thought the shot count was heavily misleading about this game. I think it was a largely broken game for both teams, with lots of passes missing their mark/getting cut off, and honestly I think we played better than the Kings the majority of the night, that the shots being so high seems way off what the game play showed. Dylan, Cholo and Jimmy were all very good in this game.

Reactions: Ulysses31

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I thought the shot count was heavily misleading about this game. I think it was a largely broken game for both teams, with lots of passes missing their mark/getting cut off, and honestly I think we played better than the Kings the majority of the night, that the shots being so high seems way off what the game play showed. Dylan, Cholo and Jimmy were all very good in this game.
:clap:Thank you.

Helene and FS went on and on about how Howard stole the game... the Wings led the entire time and were up 3-0 for crying out loud. Larkin continues to amaze.

The Kings were pathetic tonight, and I don't feel a bit of pity for Kopitar or Doughty's 10 and 11 MIL caphit over the next 6 years. The league should look at lowering the years a player is bound as a RFA. By the time these guys get paid they're already regressing.

Wings right now are in a much better place than the Kings and Hawks who are saddled to aging superstars. I'm leery of most the UFA's. That season when Lucic, Ladd, Okposo, Backes,etc. were given their deals, man it's enough to lose sleep over. If their name isn't Karlsson then forget it- develop them yourself.

Reactions: FMichael

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I hope people realize if they keep trending how they are, Howard and Nyquist will not be traded.

Discussing about trading and resigning players with someone who worked for the Red Wings, that doesn't happen. Plain and simple, it doesn't happen.
You mean to tell me that if a team is contending for the playoffs they're not going to be sellers? That's some riveting inside stuff that only someone with legit playing experience would know.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
He’s hitting a wall right now. Normal for a lot of junior guys who are used to playing at a slower pace and not traveling as far.

I wasn’t a fan of the Ras pick at all so my bar is set pretty low but I think it’s encouraging that he hasn’t looked out of place more often than not at his age.

Couple other factors to consider is that he’s playing in a quasi checking role right now without much experience playing that role in his career and he’s had scant playing time with skilled centers. I’m not sure the coaching staff even has a good handle on what they want to do with him at even strength. Transitioning to pro hockey is hard enough. Transitioning to pro hockey while taking on a different role is surely harder. Transitioning to the pros while taking on a different role with NHL linemates who aren’t that good must be a doozy. Im not worried yet.

Coincidentally, I was looking at some stats today and although they don’t necessarily play a similar style, Timo Meier and Ras could be seen as comparable talents. I remember San Jose fans being disenchanted with him after his rookie debut but 2 years later, they love their 9OA. I could see a similar impact trajectory happening with Ras. Just give it time.
And while Rasmussen doesn't strike me as the same playstyle as a Keith Primeau, there's definitely merit to his name having been mentioned on these boards, in the sense that Primeau took a few years to learn to use his frame properly and find his game in the NHL. I also was not a fan of taking Ras, but the skill set he has will need at least another couple of years to bear any significant fruit.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin

Helene and FS went on and on about how Howard stole the game... the Wings led the entire time and were up 3-0 for crying out loud. Larkin continues to amaze.

The Kings were pathetic tonight, and I don't feel a bit of pity for Kopitar or Doughty's 10 and 11 MIL caphit over the next 6 years. The league should look at lowering the years a player is bound as a RFA. By the time these guys get paid they're already regressing.

Wings right now are in a much better place than the Kings and Hawks who are saddled to aging superstars. I'm leery of most the UFA's. That season when Lucic, Ladd, Okposo, Backes,etc. were given their deals, man it's enough to lose sleep over. If their name isn't Karlsson then forget it- develop them yourself.
To the bold...

I'm pretty confident that the BoG, and mgt would love to see RFA's limited to 6 years, and UFA's to 5 years (they need to save themselves - from themselves)...Obviously they'll need to surrender sumthin on their end as well to the NHLPA...Maybe lower the restriction for arbitration, or lower the age of UFA by a year, or 2 ?

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
He’s hitting a wall right now. Normal for a lot of junior guys who are used to playing at a slower pace and not traveling as far......Just give it time.
I agree. The amount of energy expended and strength needed to battle in a NHL game is far greater than Juniors. Probably why Raz & Cholo have their minutes watched this season.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
You mean to tell me that if a team is contending for the playoffs they're not going to be sellers? That's some riveting inside stuff that only someone with legit playing experience would know.
There's still going to be a good segment of the crowd that'll say, despite them battling for a playoff spot, they have to trade Howard and Nyquist. Which, you know what, probably still should considering.

(edit)

Last edited by a moderator:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Kopitar and Doughty are coming off 90 and 60 point seasons, respectively. They will almost certainly not look great compared to their cap hits in a few more years but, right now, I think LA has bigger issues like their lack of depth and Quick being miserable. Don't disagree about treading carefully in the UFA waters, and GMs need to earn their paychecks by not being stupid.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

Three months ago management said this team is in a rebuild. If Howard and Nyquist aren’t moved this season I will be very angry. Happy the team is playing well (and smashing skulls) but they need to think long term. Signing players that are in the back half of their careers is a bad idea plain and simple. They need to keep acquiring draft picks.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Three months ago management said this team is in a rebuild. If Howard and Nyquist aren’t moved this season I will be very angry. Happy the team is playing well (and smashing skulls) but they need to think long term. Signing players that are in the back half of their careers is a bad idea plain and simple. They need to keep acquiring draft picks.
It's all depends on the price. If we get Nyquist for about 3 mill a year for next like 3-4 years , it's not that bad. Remember this year signing Mantha and AA. Vanek should be traded , Nielsen probably. This year we got Rasmussen and Cholo. Next year Veleno, Hronek,Zadina. You need to have balance youths and experience

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
It's all depends on the price. If we get Nyquist for about 3 mill a year for next like 3-4 years , it's not that bad. Remember this year signing Mantha and AA. Vanek should be traded , Nielsen probably. This year we got Rasmussen and Cholo. Next year Veleno, Hronek,Zadina. You need to have balance youths and experience
Vanek has a NTC

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

No way Nyquist signs for that. No way.

He's not taking a 1.75M pay cut particularly with him playing at almost a PPG clip this year.

Reactions: Winger98

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad