Pre-Game Talk: Kings Vs Sens

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
He was a top line player just over halfway through his first season. He's been the team's best forward for the majority of the time since then.
I meant he was taken 178th overall and clawed his way not only into the NHL but he's probably going to be the next captain if he stays. That means something to regular guys trying to solidify a spot on the team.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Chabot-DeMelo
Lajoie-Ceci
Harpur-Wideman
Borowiecki

Jaros can continue his development in Belleville

That would be another recipe for failure. If any of them is used as THE top shutdown D-man in the league, he'll get eaten alive.

Gotta find a way to "re-design" the defensive assignments, like the offensive assignments have been without EK. Problem is we don't have a D-man that is very solid defensively like Methot for example. IF anyone expects any of Harpur or Jaros to take Ceci's job and succeed, they might be in for a surprise. Just like when some people wanted Wideman to get that job.

It's because of the emergence of young players (Stone, Hoffman, Pageau, Ceci and Hammond)

They had some pretty great/solid players (Karlsson, Turris, Zibanejad, Ryan, McArthur, Michalek, Methot and Anderson) but were not deep enough, until the emergence of those young guys

It's a bit like this year (so far) with the emergence of Chabot, Lajoie, DeMelo, Tkachuk, Tierney and White (and maybe more to come)

A lot of hyperbolic statements have been made, it will be fun to bump later. I knew we have some very good youth. That's why I kept repeating that I wanted a core around Duchene, Stone, Karlsson and Chabot. Now add Tkachuk to that list.

Didn't expect Lajoie to break out like this right away. Incredible.
Exactly like Ceci minus 3MM$ lol

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Disagree. I put an asterix next to the players playing their first full NHL season

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/sens-preds-8pm-thursday-october-9th-tsn-5.1747663/

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Michalek-Zibanejad-Chiasson
Smith-Legwand-Stone*
Hoffman*-Lazar*-Neil

Cowen-Karlsson
Phillips-Ceci*
Boro*-Gryba

Stone had 22 games prior. Hoffman had 29, and had three great seasons in Binghamton. Ceci had 49 games. Boro had 21 and three seasons in Binghamton. Compare that to Tkachuk 0, Lajoie 0, Formenton 1, Jaros 2, and White 23.

The latter had a more proven youth group (Lazar was the only guy with no games before the season started). This team is much younger in general so there's obviously going to be less experience but Ryan, Mac, Michalek, and Turris were proven top 6 (BR was thought of as a top line winger entering that season based on his production before the hernia thing). And that's leaving out the Norris D-man who was the best blueliner at the Olympics.

Anyways, I agree that the team is better than many think especially with the aggressive style they're playing. But there is a reason why so many had the team at the bottom of the standings before the season started, just as there was plenty of reason to believe the 14-15 Sens wouldn't make the playoffs. I hope the young guys continue to impress and take over the key roles on this team, but I'll wait and see before getting too excited about the start a lot of the players are having production-wise. Toronto can get away with giving up lots of shots and goals because they have one of the best offenses of the last 20 years (on paper). I don't think the Sens can get away with giving up 35 shots a game and icing such a young group that will have inconsistencies.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Well that was a fun game to watch. This year so far I've had fun watching the team even though I was really mad when we traded EK, I'm trying to be positive and look at the young players. I have fallen in love with Tkachuk, just plays the game the right way, never cheats... Stone had a better game today, I felt we played very well as a unit.

Harpur played pretty decent, but as it is often the case with big guys they get stripped pretty easily by smaller faster guys with stick lifts and make weird decisions. I like Jaros game, I think he should've made the club out of camp but that's just me. It's only 5 games so I think people should be happy but not get ahead of anything. Chabot, Tierney, White, all had very good games too. When I watch Tierney I find him very un-spectacular but always seems to make a smart play.

On to another good test against Dallas

Reactions: MountSash

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I meant he was taken 178th overall and clawed his way not only into the NHL but he's probably going to be the next captain if he stays. That means something to regular guys trying to solidify a spot on the team.

What about Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Kane, Toews, Doughty? They were all high picks that didn't have to earn spots but all won Cups as leaders. I don't think those teams had any trouble coming together when they were making their way through the playoffs en route to glory even though there was clearly a big dog (or two) in the room.

So are you insinuating it was hard for regular guys to get behind EK because he was taken 15th and became a superstar? Erik earned everything he got - he didn't come into the league as a touted bigshot ala Matthews and even spent time in the AHL refining his game. A lot of people never expected more than a Mike Green with his skillset coming out of the draft.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Couldn't catch the game today due to family stuff.

How'd we look? Looking at the boxscore, it looks like we got out-shot almost by double (!!!), but 5-1 is pretty lopsided on the scoreboard. And Harpur led the team in TOI?

Sounds like it was a weird game.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017

How'd we look? Looking at the boxscore, it looks like we got out-shot almost by double (!!!), but 5-1 is pretty lopsided on the scoreboard. And Harpur led the team in TOI?

Kings were lethargic in the first (only got 5 shots) and Sens took advantage. Got outshot bad but there weren't a ton of dangerous chances against. Good games from Stone, Tierney, Brady, Duchene, White, Chabot, Lajoie...

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa

Was actually a lot of fun. The young guys were really into it and enjoying themselves. Scoring loads of goals helps. Tkachuk is quickly becoming the favourite player in our household.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Still full of hate for this organization, but credit to the players where it's due, they've played better than I expected, especially the D today.

I was worried about relying too much on guys like Ceci, Dzingel, Smith, Boro and some other vets, but to me it looks like we don't have to that much because a lot of our young players are already better than them and most of them can just be pushed out of the organization quicker than expected.

Anderson will continue to be a key for how the rest of the season goes. Condon sucks and i think that will continue to be a problem, but if Andy plays this way for around 60 games, we might be okay there. Maybe waive Condon, buy him out in the summer and find a more reliable option sooner than just letting him play out his contract.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

Feels like he's being showcased

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Stone had 22 games prior. Hoffman had 29, and had three great seasons in Binghamton. Ceci had 49 games. Boro had 21 and three seasons in Binghamton. Compare that to Tkachuk 0, Lajoie 0, Formenton 1, Jaros 2, and White 23.

The latter had a more proven youth group (Lazar was the only guy with no games before the season started). This team is much younger in general so there's obviously going to be less experience but Ryan, Mac, Michalek, and Turris were proven top 6 (BR was thought of as a top line winger entering that season based on his production before the hernia thing). And that's leaving out the Norris D-man who was the best blueliner at the Olympics.

Anyways, I agree that the team is better than many think especially with the aggressive style they're playing. But there is a reason why so many had the team at the bottom of the standings before the season started, just as there was plenty of reason to believe the 14-15 Sens wouldn't make the playoffs. I hope the young guys continue to impress and take over the key roles on this team, but I'll wait and see before getting too excited about the start a lot of the players are having production-wise. Toronto can get away with giving up lots of shots and goals because they have one of the best offenses of the last 20 years (on paper). I don't think the Sens can get away with giving up 35 shots a game and icing such a young group that will have inconsistencies.

Given that we're talking about entertainment I don't get the mentality of trying not to get "too excited". I mean isn't the point to be excited, to be entertained?

Who cares if they stumble later, that can be later Karl Prime's problem, but why does future Karl Prime get to rob present Karl Prime of excitement.... What a jerk... ;)

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Well, it's nice to have a guy on each pair that can move the puck well.

But that's like a Wings fan saying "since Lidstrom retired the puck is more distributed." That's generally going to happen when there isn't an elite play-driver playing 27 minutes a game.
Well yes that was my point.

It's a benefit to the team IMO. There isn't a funnel for where the play goes so it's harder to predict what the Sens will do

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
He looked fine out there today.

I guess he did, he scored 2.

as I said...didn't see the game today but I did look at the box score. ...

Wideman struggles with heavy players, Harpur struggles against quickness. LA is a big heavy slower team.

Without having seen it, seems like GB got the most out of what he has today

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
It was a great atmosphere again there, yes no sell out, but it was loud. Nice show by the young kids, this team is turning out or I should , starting out better than anticipated. There is a lot of energy they give off. Even the 50/50 draw had a good size pot. It looks like this team is starting to generate some interest again with the fans.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Melnyk
200.webp

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I have fallen in love with Tkachuk, just plays the game the right way, never cheats...

Well he does cheat a little bit.
Sometimes when on the attack and he or the other forwards turnover the puck in the OZ, and the play goes the other way, he makes a long slow loop to turn around to start the back-check, instead of a quick stop and start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad