Kings News: Kings trade Kevin Westgarth to Carolina for Anthony Stewart, '13 4th rd, '14 6th rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I totally agree. We don't need any of those types. Why do we have to change the way our team is to be like anyone else's? We have a great forecheck, great D, great goaltender, we do not need any of these kind of players that force us to kill a ton of penalties. If a team wants to be stupid and do that with their goons, hopefully we'll have a new PP that can punish them.

Not to mention the fact that we have really solid team toughness. If we were a soft team like Ana then I would have been looking to add some grit too but we have more than enough guys who play a solid physical game that have skill.

We just don't need to risk as much as Ana and other teams. I love fighting in the game but I like our roster today more than I did at the start of last year.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
When was the last time the Kings didn't have a goon on the roster?

Will be great to not have to worry about guys like Ivanans and Westgarth ruining the bottom lines.

Even if Stewart is in Manchester or claimed off waivers, getting draft any kin of draft picks for Westgarth is unbelievable.

KingKopitar11*

Lol okay guys I made a mistake. I sorta forgot the line up. We do have players with balls I sorta for some reason remembered our old roster. Lol my bad. Hockey needs to start soon I'm losing it

onlyalad

New rule: no goalies.
Jan 13, 2008
Luc was on channel 5 news at 9 to hype the season. Said that Saturday will have a bunch of stuff happening. Also they asked if the Kings would be making any moves. (Didn't seem like they knew). Luc said that Westgarth was the 24th man on the team and wasn't going to get a chance to play in LA. He would in Carolina. Said that he was traded for a couple of draft picks. No mention of Stewart at all.

Surturus

Sep 26, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Stewart seems interesting for 4th line grinding, so basically I like the idea of taking the team away from goons and making the best out of all the 4 lines. Think the idea of having a tough guy for one purpose in the teams is starting to be yesterday in a sense that can a competitive NHL team loose a spot to uphold a single purpose player anymore ?

RonSwanson*

Oh yeah, I forgot about Anze...yeah, then it looks like either Nolan to Manchester or Richardson to waiver wire.

The forth line is Nolan-Fraser-Clifford and if they produce and gel like they did at the end of the year how can they break this line up? I guess possibly Stewart-Fraser-Clifford.....

They should hang onto Richardson at least for the three games vs Colorado if nothing else.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Props to Lombardi, as recently as a couple of years ago he and TM were hyping the importance of heavyweights, and now he has just sent the Kings goon to Carolina and seems committed to rolling 4 capable lines, amazing what a good coach and winning a championship can do.

Compare that to a guy like Brian Burke who's bizarre obsession with toughness helped contribute to his downfall.

There are still a few dinosaurs hanging around NHL front offices, but hopefully in the next decade goons and staged fights will be completely phased out of the game.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Props to Lombardi, as recently as a couple of years ago he and TM were hyping the importance of heavyweights, and now he has just sent the Kings goon to Carolina and seems committed to rolling 4 capable lines, amazing what a good coach and winning a championship can do.

Compare that to a guy like Brian Burke who's bizarre obsession with toughness helped contribute to his downfall.

There are still a few dinosaurs hanging around NHL front offices, but hopefully in the next decade goons and staged fights will be completely phased out of the game.

The NHL is already trending away from having guys like Westy around. More and more we're seeing guys like Clifford, Richards, Nolan, etc who can play (well...Clifford can't) and fight also (Clifford can't fight either). It's so nice to see because it's such a waste of a roster spot to see someone go out on the ice just to fight and when they don't do that, they get absolutely exposed.

I also can't wait to see the day that *****nasty is out of this league and never heard from again. Dude's a straight up tool.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

It's awesome isn't it Herby!!!!

The Kings are so much harder to defend now, teams actually have to alter their roster now to match the Kings. LOVE IT.

Also think about this, it all happened out of dumb luck (almost).

Fraser was a throw in, that when given an chance took it and ran.

Nolan and King were the best players in Manchester for good stretch that peaked Sutter's interest.

Throw it all together, Bam four lines that can defend,hit, score, skate.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
i tend to be reminded of star Kings players being run at by bad boys from the other teams when the Kings are without "a" protector.

i'm pretty sure Deano will deal for a new tough guy or bring up someone like Johnson from Manchester. i just can't see the Kings allowing the likes of Kopitar, Doughty, and even Quick, etc... to be run at,

years and years ago i remember Marcel Dionne picking up a just traded for Randy Holt at the airport because Dionne was tired of the crap he and his teammates were taking because they lacked a grade A stand up guy,

Last edited:

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
i tend to be reminded of star Kings players being run at by bad boys from the other teams when the Kings are without "a" protector.

i'm pretty sure Deano will deal for a new tough guy or bring up someone like Johnson from Manchester. i just can't see the Kings allowing the likes of Kopitar, Doughty, and even Quick, etc... to be run at,

years and years ago i remember Marcel Dionne picking up a just traded for Randy Holt at the airport because Dionne was tired of the crap he and his teammates were taking because they lacked a grade A stand up guy,

It's like bizzaro world, Westgarth didn't play one single game after February. What Kings team are you watching ?

Justin Johnson from Manchester ? I am not sure if you're serious.

Current players on the Kings roster that have career fights and will drop the gloves to defend teammates:

Penner,Mitchell, Fraser, Brown, Richards, Greene,Stewart,Clifford,Nolan, King,Drewiske,Scuderi(hell Trevor Lewis has a career fight, Richardson too).(That's like the entire roster almost). Wow Williams/Carter have a fight to there credit as well.

I mean just what exactly are people asking for ?

Last edited:

JureEe

Go Kings Go!
Apr 5, 2012
sLOVEnija
It's like bizzaro world, Westgarth didn't play one single game after February. What Kings team are you watching ?

Current players on the Kings roster that have career fights and will drop the gloves to defend teammates:

Penner,Mitchell, Fraser, Brown, Richards, Greene,Stewart,Clifford,Nolan, King,Drewiske,Scuderi(hell Trevor Lewis has a career fight, Richardson too).(That's like the entire roster almost). Wow Williams/Carter have a fight to there credit as well.

Kopitar had fight in PO...

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007

a grade A enforcer to have in the line-up when the Kings face the Kassians of the league, and yes, the Kings do have many players who are willing to drop the gloves, but there is still need to have a guy to keep the other team honest. i'm just recalling years of seasons past, years of not having an "enforcer".

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
a grade A enforcer to have in the line-up when the Kings face the Kassians of the league, and yes, the Kings do have many players who are willing to drop the gloves, but there is still need to have a guy to keep the other team honest. i'm just recalling years of seasons past, years of not having an "enforcer".

I guess I will never understand this line of thinking. The Kings need to waste a roster spot so we can dress someone; that will match a guy that play's Five minutes on the other team.....

Did anyone ever stop to think the Kings might have sucked for 45 years; cause they were doing exactly what your asking them to do.

I give up. :(

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

The same Kassian we played against in four of the five first round playoff games against the top seeded Canucks in the first round? Tell me again how that series turned out for LA? :sarcasm:

We don't need a goon. If a team coached by a Sutter is fine trading away a goon who was nothing but a very well paid cheerleader for about 6 months, that's a pretty obvious statement we don't need a goon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad