Eklund Rumor: Kings trade coming? [Mod Warning, pg 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Lmao ....

How can you ever compare Ottawa and Montreal and these two situations is beyond me. The richest team in the NHL in the biggest market compared to a budget team that's not willing to pay for their players to stay. There's no comparison to be made.

i'm not comparing Ottawa to Montreal what are you talking about, i'm just saying the Ottawa senator are in a free fall and as your rival you probably wish Montreal would do a stupid deal like that. theres literally NOT one good reason do to a deal you're suggesting. it's bad management on an other level.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
i'm not comparing Ottawa to Montreal what are you talking about, i'm just saying the Ottawa senator are in a free fall and as your rival you probably wish Montreal would do a stupid deal like that. theres literally NOT one good reason do to a deal you're suggesting. it's bad management on an other level.

I completely disagree and you can keep your stereotypes honestly I wish nothing but the best for Montreal. I would have nothing to gain arguing this if I didn't believe it was a good move for Mtl it's highly unlikely to hapoen in real life anyways.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Hate to break it to you, but so long as Price and Weber are on this team, we should be competing to win now.

Poehling and Romanov are both 2+ years off. The 2019 pick, and 2020 pick are likely 3/4 years off respectively, at least.

In what world does adding an elite 1C not make us a contender?

in a world where Kopitar won't be a Prime player for that long, in a world where everytime we play true contenders we get outplayed. in a world where our biggest rivals are younger and better than us. in a world where adding Kopitar doesn't fix our defense and you trade our best LHD prospect, you trade assets that could be use to get a younger player that fills a more important role. you do not trade Poehling without seeing how his game translate. like i mentioned above Carey price could stay a prime player for a very long time, Weber could be there as a top4 role and help the kids develop. Brook is looking very promising. most of our roster is filled is young, you build around that you do not handicap your future simply because 2 of your good players are in their 30's.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I completely disagree and you can keep your stereotypes honestly I wish nothing but the best for Montreal. I would have nothing to gain arguing this if I didn't believe it was a good move for Mtl it's highly unlikely to hapoen in real life anyways.

fair enough, well lets agree to disagree, i want to see and build a team that can competes for years to come, not some bubble aging wild card team, who traded their whole future for a 3 year window of looking for a cinderalla story, to finaly end up with 3 guys above 35, earning 30M together, no prospect in the bank and finally be force to restart the rebuild process.

Once again, No knock on Kopitar who is still a very good 200foot 1C.

people are too impatient. follow the process.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015

Poehling could walk away as an NCAA free agent.

Romanov could stay in Russia, especially when Bergevin led Montreal has continually pissed on our Russian players (Markov, Radulov)

We have picked one good prospect with our late 1sts in the last near decade.

Kopitar would become our franchise altering 1C, the same age as our franchise goaltender and elite stay at home defenseman. Why would we not build our team around the cup window of Price, Weber and Kopitar?

So long as we have Price and Weber, we will be a bubble team at worst. At that point, we should pony up the assets to be contenders; especially if we can add a 2C in Duchene this summer and have a disgustingly deep forward corps.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Poehling could walk away as an NCAA free agent.

Romanov could stay in Russia, especially when Bergevin led Montreal has continually pissed on our Russian players (Markov, Radulov)

We have picked one good prospect with our late 1sts in the last near decade.

Kopitar would become our franchise altering 1C, the same age as our franchise goaltender and elite stay at home defenseman. Why would we not build our team around the cup window of Price, Weber and Kopitar?

So long as we have Price and Weber, we will be a bubble team at worst. At that point, we should pony up the assets to be contenders; especially if we can add a 2C in Duchene this summer and have a disgustingly deep forward corps.

lol i'm done you are delusional.

Ok let's assume Poehling walks.
Ok let's assume Romanov walks because we ran all our russian away from Montreal, Yet we make the biggest out of the blue low second round pick to draft him ( did you even see how happy he was to be drafted by Montreal?)

Have you recently watch our division? yes you said it it would make us a bubble team who will get worse year by year, SO smart!

Oh yeah what a great idea to sign Duchene in the offseason and make him a 2C behind Kopitar and shelter Kotkaniemi as a 3C for 6 years! Wait no, we should trade Kotkaniemi because he doesn't fit our core am i right? he's not ready yet for our Kopitar, Weber,Price 30M longterm trio!

i'm sorry but you make no sense, you're just sick of losing and you're craving for a fantasy Stanley cup that isn't reachable right now.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
in a world where Kopitar won't be a Prime player for that long,

32 year old Malkin is still a top 3 center in the NHL.
33 year old Bergeron is still the best two-way player in hockey
33 year old Getzlaf is still an elite 1C

There is absolutely no reason that Anze Kopitar could not remain a top 20 NHL center.

everytime we play true contenders we get outplayed

That's just flat out wrong. In 2/3 meetings against the Leafs we outworked them, outchanced them and arguably outplayed them --- we lost in 3on3 OT. We have had a pretty solid record against playoff teams, and in our first game against Tampa this season we outplayed them, outchanced them and outworked them. This team lacks consistency, finish, and top end talent. Kopitar addresses all three areas.

younger and better

We're the third youngest team in terms of average age, with Weber at 33 and Price at 31 being our oldest players. Some teams have better young stars (Toronto) but we're not going to suck enough to draft top 5 several times to get those players.

adding Kopitar doesn't fix our defense and you trade our best LHD prospect

As I said previously, Romanov is several years out from being NHL ready. He is not the solution to our defensive woes. And yes, adding a two-way center GENERALLY improves your defensive play.

you trade assets that could be use to get a younger player that fills a more important role

I'd argue outside of Goaltender there is no more important role than your #1 center. A role this team has gone too long without; hence our continual struggles.

you do not trade Poehling without seeing how his game translate.

He's not even looking at the NHL until he graduates college in 2020. He could also choose to walk thanks to the NCAA rule.

Carey price could stay a prime player for a very long time, Weber could be there as a top4 role

Price, Kopitar and Weber all have equal chance to stay relevant for equal time. Weber will have to adjust his game to play like Zdeno Chara, and Kopitar will eventually shelter himself as a #2 shutdown guy more than a #1 do-it-all, but likely they all remain fine well into their late 30s.

most of our roster is filled is young, you build around that you do not handicap your future simply because 2 of your good players are in their 30's.

Kotkaniemi is 18
Lehkonen is 23
Domi is 23
Drouin is 23
Mete is 20
Juulsen is 21

Brook is 19
Fleury is 20
Suzuki is 19
Ikonen is 19
Evans is 22

We would still have three second round picks in the next two drafts on top of the aforementioned prospects. We have no issues moving Poehling and Romanov as well as two first round picks because our team is young, we have young players performing and new kids getting eady to come up. Poehling becomes expendable, ESPECIALLY if we're getting Kotkaniemi, because of our center depth. Romanov is expendable because he is still several years out as I noted earlier. This team has the chance to compete within the next 3-5 years, and after that is when they should look to retool and get younger.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Have you recently watch our division?

Ottawa is f***ed for a long time.
Tampa is in win-now mode
Buffalo is 2 or 3 years out from being scary, which is when you propose we'll be relevant as well?
Boston is just dragging along
Detroit is rebuilding
Florida is either going to be shit out of luck or land Panarin and Bob and be a contender.
Toronto is in win-now mode.

it would make us a bubble team who will get worse year by year, SO smart!

Kopitar is probably the second best person (behind Bergeron) to teach Kotkaniemi how to be a dominant two-way center. If for nothing else, Kopitar gains value for that. We have more than enough young talent that this team isn't going to get "worse and worse" every year; people don't just forget how to play hockey. The Habs roster isn't built to win with superstars like the Leafs or Lightning, its to win by having better depth and scoring throughout the lineup.

Oh yeah what a great idea to sign Duchene in the offseason and make him a 2C behind Kopitar and shelter Kotkaniemi as a 3C for 6 years!

You sign Duchene for a 5 year deal, and you let Kotkaniemi develop as a 3C for his 19 year old and 20 year old seasons. At that point, you shuffle Duchene to the left wing. Just because Kotkaniemi is on "the third line" doesn't mean you can't give him ample ice time through PK/PP, or double shifting him with the fourth line. Injuries happen, and to be frank I'd rather have too much center depth than not enough.

Kotkaniemi because he doesn't fit our core am i right?

Hm, let's compare my suggestions of moving players who are 2+ years out of the NHL to comparing our 3rd overall pick who has played (almost) a full season of NHL hockey.

you are delusional.

ha.

i'm sorry but you make no sense, you're just sick of losing

It's not like the Habs made the ECF twice in the last 10 years or anything. We have a world-class goaltender in the heart of his prime, an elite defenseman who is going to slowly become less effective with each passing season, and a fantastic supporting cast that is missing two or three pieces to be a true cup contender; but sure let's just continue to draft 17-22nd overall for the next three years and wait for Poehling and Romanov to MAYBE develop into NHL players instead of trading for a current top 10C in the League :laugh:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I mean.. No one knows okay that's fine but it's very safe to say the chances he ever becomes nearly as good as Kopitar is are extremely slim and not something a team should ever count on. Kopitar is not 32, he's 31 and will turn 32 in 6 months.

I respect your opinion but to me that's an easy trade for Montreal. They have a ton of capspace as well and could likely send some salary back to LA.

Get Kopi and let Kotkaniemi learn from a true leader. Get a guy that will lead this team on and off the ice and enough with being hesitant and never getting anywhere. Kopitar is the type of guy that keeps players accountable, that keeps guys on their toes, and that gives a team confidence. Add Kopitar and a couple tweeks on D and I could see this team win.
I don't think Kopitar is a great leader. Kopitar is a star in the NHL, but I wouldn't count on him leading a team in the room.

Reactions: Zal

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
There's almost literally nothing in that tweet.

Closed.

EDIT: I've been sent more info, and so I've added it to the OP and am re-opening.

HOWEVER, consider this a formal warning.
Talk about the rumours/speculation/fantasy idea/whatever you personally want to call it, and refrain from the spam about Eklund.
We have him as tagged source so that you can see where it is coming from. We don't need you coming in and telling us its Eklund. If you don't like or trust Eklund, that is you prerogative, and you can use the tag to ignore the thread.

Discuss the value of the players or team needs involved.
Genuinely serious question, is there a way to automatically ignore all Eklund tagged threads?

Zal

Jan 12, 2009
He’s going to ice the same team from this season. I guess he doesn’t like his job.

disorder

Oct 31, 2008
I wonder what the business relationship between HFboard and Eklund is to warrant the mods always defending him.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
32 year old Malkin is still a top 3 center in the NHL.
33 year old Bergeron is still the best two-way player in hockey
33 year old Getzlaf is still an elite 1C

There is absolutely no reason that Anze Kopitar could not remain a top 20 NHL center.

That's just flat out wrong. In 2/3 meetings against the Leafs we outworked them, outchanced them and arguably outplayed them --- we lost in 3on3 OT. We have had a pretty solid record against playoff teams, and in our first game against Tampa this season we outplayed them, outchanced them and outworked them. This team lacks consistency, finish, and top end talent. Kopitar addresses all three areas.

We're the third youngest team in terms of average age, with Weber at 33 and Price at 31 being our oldest players. Some teams have better young stars (Toronto) but we're not going to suck enough to draft top 5 several times to get those players.

As I said previously, Romanov is several years out from being NHL ready. He is not the solution to our defensive woes. And yes, adding a two-way center GENERALLY improves your defensive play.

I'd argue outside of Goaltender there is no more important role than your #1 center. A role this team has gone too long without; hence our continual struggles.

He's not even looking at the NHL until he graduates college in 2020. He could also choose to walk thanks to the NCAA rule.

Price, Kopitar and Weber all have equal chance to stay relevant for equal time. Weber will have to adjust his game to play like Zdeno Chara, and Kopitar will eventually shelter himself as a #2 shutdown guy more than a #1 do-it-all, but likely they all remain fine well into their late 30s.

Kotkaniemi is 18
Lehkonen is 23
Domi is 23
Drouin is 23
Mete is 20
Juulsen is 21

Brook is 19
Fleury is 20
Suzuki is 19
Ikonen is 19
Evans is 22

We would still have three second round picks in the next two drafts on top of the aforementioned prospects. We have no issues moving Poehling and Romanov as well as two first round picks because our team is young, we have young players performing and new kids getting eady to come up. Poehling becomes expendable, ESPECIALLY if we're getting Kotkaniemi, because of our center depth. Romanov is expendable because he is still several years out as I noted earlier. This team has the chance to compete within the next 3-5 years, and after that is when they should look to retool and get younger.

I wouldn’t say Getzlaf is an elite center anymore. Dude is declining rapidly fast. You can see it in his playstyle this season. He’s not as dynamic on the ice anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad