Prospect Info: Kings sign Sean Durzi to his 3-year ELC

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
That was actually something that they kind of addressed during the meeting. That they made a huge mistake by looking at the previous season's results and thinking, well if we tweak a little here and add this, instead of having 98 points we'll have 104 or something like that. That Blake said to ownership they need to take the approach that it's going to be a ground-level re-evaluation of everything every offseason. No projections based on previous season's results.

Thanks for the in depth post of what you heard. We all appreciate it.

The more information the better.

I hope I'm not being naive when I say that the Kings will rebound quicker than most teams and get better sooner rather than later.

They have some very good players up and coming.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA

I hope I'm not being naive when I say that the Kings will rebound quicker than most teams and get better sooner rather than later.

I agree. Posters keep talking about a rebuild, but the Kings are already in the middle of one. It wouldn't surprise me if, with a little luck, the Kings will be competing for a playoff spot in 2021. What's critical is for the Kings to hire a coach that can get the most out of the players on the ice.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I have the feeling people are sleeping on Sean Durzi. This overage narrative is being overplayed by some.

Here are the draft rankings prior to the 2018 draft. I would say scouts knew his age, but still had him rated highly in spite of this.

Mark Seidel NACS #21
Central Scouting. #37
Bob Mckenzie #48
Future Considerations #52
Craig Button #61

He was obviously a late developer to scouts and they factored this development in.

He is No. 37 on Central Scouting's final ranking of North American skaters; he was No. 124 on Central Scouting's final list for 2017. He attended rookie camp for the New York Islanders last summer and wasn't offered a contract but said it was a tremendous experience.

"I can't tell you why 31 teams overlooked him through seven rounds of the draft last year but I know they won't do it this year," Central Scouting's Karl Stewart said.

Durzi began to flourish late last season when given a more prominent role with Owen Sound. He carried that success into this season, and scouts have taken notice.

"He'll go fairly high," Gregory said. "He played at an elite level and scored more this year. He's a player you notice every shift. He has all the qualities of a puck-moving, skilled defenseman at the next level.

"Knowing his body of work now, teams aren't going to let him slide."
Some players develop later, and this seems to be the case with Durzi. Much has been said about the Kings preferring Durzi over Lilegren. It would not surprise me if Friedman and Dreger are right. The Kings preferred the player that is known with a higher hockey IQ in Durzi than Lilegren who's draft stock dropped when scouts questioned his hockey IQ. Durzi may be better than some thought. He is a potential sleeper, that is not so under the radar, now that he is leading the Memorial Cup in scoring as a Defenceman. To me he looks like a Krug like puck moving D man. Who was also a later bloomer.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I agree. Posters keep talking about a rebuild, but the Kings are already in the middle of one. It wouldn't surprise me if, with a little luck, the Kings will be competing for a playoff spot in 2021. What's critical is for the Kings to hire a coach that can get the most out of the players on the ice.

Until the same players who quit on Murray, Sutter, and Stevens quit on the next guy? When is there accountability to the players, and not just from a production standpoint, but from a leadership standpoint as well?

We saw more fire out of Wagner last season than any player who has won a Stanley Cup with the Kings.

Good for Durzi. I hope he comes in and makes someone expendable in a season or two.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kings fans. Just had to let you guys know. Regarding the Durzi > Lilegren decision the Kings Mgt made in the Muzzin deal and what you guys are noticing here with an anti Durzi narrative by reading the Leafs fans comments in his prospects thread.

I just watched the entire game from Friday night where they were claiming Lilegren was playing like a beast. @Raccoon Jesus you will want to hear this, Take my word on this. I barely even noticed Lilegren played that night. Total non factor and not impactful. I think the Kings made a wise decision here in preferring Durzi over Lilegren, because when he is noticed, it is usually for all the wrong lack of hockey IQ reasons. But the point is for all his skating and puck handing, he gets little results. Whereas Durzi's puck handing and passes do get results.That's the big difference of the 2.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Well Liljegren is playing at a level that is way better. AHL vs OHL I mean.

At this point I am already happy if Leafs fans stay away.

That does not mean Durzi does not have any weaknesses that can’t be discussed but just stay away with the other crap.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
It’s crazy that people are stressed about his age. The kid is 20!

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Only leaf fans are stressed about him and his age. I think we all know all prospects have work to do regardless of age to make it to the big stage.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I didn’t like Liljegren in his draft year. Maybe he’ll turn out maybe he won’t. Guy was once in the running to be a top three pick. Durzi is making the Kings scouts look good at the moment. Both have a long way to go tho.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It’s crazy that people are stressed about his age. The kid is 20!

It's because he's being dominant as an overager, but that in and of itself is a dishonest criticism, as he was dominant before his overage year as well--that just conveniently gets left out. Someone pointed out that last year his point totals had him compared to Bouchard; this year, since the trade, what's he's done is earn the current scoring lead in the Memorial Cup , end the season tied with Bouchard for 2nd in PPG after the trade to Guelph despite injury, and end 2nd in D scoring in the playoffs, with his 24 assists being 6 more than the next guy.

I see it as he has a lot to learn but has accomplished a lot as well. Give him a full year in the A, let's see what he does. Sean Walker improved by leaps and bounds in 6 months, Durzi seems to have a similar skillset.

At this point I'm rooting for him even more just for the jimmies rustled, my god, this guy has apparently been taking out Leafs' fans parents or something.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
2019 Memorial Cup Presented by Kia All-Star Team:

Goaltender – Alexis Gravel (Halifax Mooseheads)
Defence – Sean Durzi (Guelph Storm)
Defence – Noah Dobson (Rouyn-Noranda Huskies)
Forward – Isaac Ratcliffe (Guelph Storm)
Forward – Félix Bibeau (Rouyn-Noranda Huskies)
Forward – Benoit-Olivier Groulx (Halifax Mooseheads)

Reactions: KingsCourt

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Durzi reminds me of Martinez in a way. Not really flashy, just solid. The few times I've seen him play, he didn't really jump out at you but he was simply effective and got results. I don't remember Alec doing anything fantastic in game 7 against Chicago. Just a smart play at the point in OT to make sure he got the puck through and bam, it's over. Same thing against the NYR. A savvy play to pick up the puck, get around the outside and make a really good outlet pass. No blazing speed or fancy moves, just took a good line to free himself up to make the pass that started the final play.

Reactions: BallPointHammer

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

No worries, Quickie will lead the way!!

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
Seriously, Durzi is playing so well right now. 28 min toi last night and pretty much mistake free hockey. It's a pleasure to watch this dude play for the Kings right now. Blake has some hard decisions to make this summer.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Seriously, Durzi is playing so well right now. 28 min toi last night and pretty much mistake free hockey. It's a pleasure to watch this dude play for the Kings right now. Blake has some hard decisions to make this summer.
WHAT?

Dude makes mistakes on every shift. Every single one. Lousy positioning, lousy reads, lousy switches, lousy coverages. He gets by because he is a true hockey player in every sense of the word and mistakes aren't the end all and be all of a player's worth. He has "it" in spades even if the rest of his game is pure horse shite.

Durzi must keep playing with his balls on his sleeve to stay in the league, because if he settles down one bit he will drown in his weaknesses and get lost in the shuffle again.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Definitely being asked to play FAR over his head and we're lucky he's got balls the size of the rink. I forget who had it but I love the Kris Letang comparison even down to the brain death in defensive coverage, I think @bland covered it really well above--it looks like he's ripping Durzi to shreds but I actually see it as complimentary. He's an extremely flawed player as we saw at the AHL level, but what we didn't get to see there is the pure guile/guts the guy has, he's basically the ultimate teammate, and is a perfect example of a guy who is taking the opportunity and instead of playing tentatively, embracing the challenge and going for the throat every single night.

Imagine this guy being able to 'settle down' and play 18 minutes again. He'll be fresh and ready to rage.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Just going back it's amazing what Sean has done, can't help but love the guy...he hasn't played less than 20 minutes in about a month. He's got games of 28:36, 26, 20, 23, and 27 in a row and doesn't look like he's conserving at all. That's playing nearly two full games of ice time in canada in two divisional matchups with playoff implications back to back with all the guts in the world...dude is a keeper.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Very impressed by him as a rookie. Not many rookies could handle the pressure at this juncture of the season and playing minutes. Tells you something about how he will perform in the playoffs. That said, I hope Doughty is back for at least a few games before the season ends. If we make the playoffs, it would be good for him to shake off the dust.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Just going back it's amazing what Sean has done, can't help but love the guy...he hasn't played less than 20 minutes in about a month. He's got games of 28:36, 26, 20, 23, and 27 in a row and doesn't look like he's conserving at all. That's playing nearly two full games of ice time in canada in two divisional matchups with playoff implications back to back with all the guts in the world...dude is a keeper.

And he's got some serious balls. Won't back down to anyone and sticks up for the guys. He was just driving Tkchuck mad at times.

So this summer...

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Durzi is on track to earn $4M/year+ Yeah, he isn't perfect defensively and is showing cracks in his game when being forced to play as a #1 Drew Doughty replacement, but honestly, he is the best offensive weapon we have on the D line right now until Drew comes back or Clarke gets promoted and shows us something. I'm very happy with the kid. I see him as the Alec Martinez replacement we need on that 3-4 pairing or the underrated 5-6 that can push us over the edge when competing in the postseason.

Reactions: kingsfan28

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad