Rumor: Kings Sign Paul LaDue

Sam

Feb 27, 2002
Guess we can change the title from Rumor to Confirmed with Link now.

Why is it only a one-year contract?
24 year olds sign one year ELCs. A player's age, as far as ELCs go, is determined by what age he is on September 15th of the calendar year he signs the contract. LaDue turns 24 on September 6th, hence the one year contract.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Guess we can change the title from Rumor to Confirmed with Link now.

Why is it only a one-year contract?

ELC restrictions by age/experience IIRC but on the go so won't be able to link until later

Edit: Sam with the timely info as always! :nod:

I agree. He might even not be AHL ready. But we will see.

mmm, I don't know about that. Like Gravel, he didn't have anything left to learn at the college level, and there was an article earlier where a scout was quoted as saying he couldn't believe ND was able to convince him to come back last year because he's a pro d-man playing college hockey...

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
I come in peace guys... out of curiosity, what happened to this guy? I was very high on him and followed his development for a while and all of a sudden, everything went downhill?

Can some of you spare some detail?

Jericho111091

Dec 18, 2014
Paramount Ca
Just never really took the next step. Solid guy to have in the system but doesn't seem to excel enough in any particular area to be an NHL regular imo.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I come in peace guys... out of curiosity, what happened to this guy? I was very high on him and followed his development for a while and all of a sudden, everything went downhill?

I think he had some injury problems that severely hampered his development. He's missed a good chunk of games the past couple of years and the most games he ever saw in a season between the AHL and NHL since turning pro was 60 games back in 2016-17.

He actually had a productive season in Ontario this year but yet again missed a majority of the season due to injuries.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Just never really took the next step. Solid guy to have in the system but doesn't seem to excel enough in any particular area to be an NHL regular imo.
I think he had some injury problems that severely hampered his development. He's missed a good chunk of games the past couple of years and the most games he ever saw in a season between the AHL and NHL since turning pro was 60 games back in 2016-17.

He actually had a productive season in Ontario this year but yet again missed a majority of the season due to injuries.
too bad though... this guy seem to had everything that a NHL Dman needed in his toolbox to succeed in the NHL as a top 4

hope that he can turn it back around

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Mostly moved down the depth chart as he lost a lot of developmental time due to injuries.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
He was the last pick in the 6th round. He managed to play more NHL games than the 4th overall pick that year though. He was fighting the odds from the start. That he's likely just an AHL level player isn't his fault, or the Kings fault. Most players, no matter what you do with them, don't make it.

Wish DL had traded him instead of Cernak.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I suspect he surfaces with another team. LaDue could carve out a solid, if unspectacular career, if a team is willing to take on a middle aged UFA at league minimum.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
I suspect he surfaces with another team. LaDue could carve out a solid, if unspectacular career, if a team is willing to take on a middle aged UFA at league minimum.
LaDue is not a NHL caliber defender. He is a liability at the top level and not nearly good enough offensively to make up for it. Worst part is we may have been able to move him instead of Cernak and apparently he was part of a deal for Landeskog and the reason it broke through (we refused to move him). Hindsight is 20/20 though.

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
He was a great pick for the sixth round. Had multiple injuries not ruined his development trajectory, he would be a bottom pairing defender already in the NHL.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->